Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 23, 2019 11:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Best place to determine value of vintage cabinet stereos?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 7:53 am 

I'm about to purchase my third stereo cabinet or console and the ones I'm buying never seem to just pop up on a Google search. So where, besides here, is a place I can findthe true value of what I'm buying. Not some everything is vintage donkey on EBay trying to sell something but actual information.

Post subject: Re: Best place to determine value of vintage cabinet stereos
PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 12:39 pm 

What are you talking about? 60's 70's ?

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 3:39 pm 

The best place on ARF is the Vintage Audio Equipment subforum.

Another place to inquire is the Vintage HiFi forum:
http://vintagehifi.net/

I think the reason eBay is a poor resource for these is because shipping of consoles from the 50s - 70s is prohibitively expensive. Knowing that, or just not wanting to mess with packing/shipping something that large, sellers choose local venues to sell them instead of eBay.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 8:01 pm 

For instance, I just got a Magnavox with record, 8 track and radio. Model pd6406ak61. I believe this is what is referred to as a micro mini. While I can find a place to get a userers manual I am unable to find a picture, description, or listed value of it anywhere. Is it worth 25$ or 250$ or 2.50$? Any help is very much appreciated. I bought it at a friends living estate sale for 25$ and I honestly don't want to have not paid then enough as it all goes to help their grandmother as she transitions into assisted living.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 8:22 pm 

And yes I believe it's 60's as are most that I find. 60 or 70's. But that's just it, even the site that had the owners manual had every stereo on there listed as 1974. So if I can't find some actual info even on magnavox site then I have no idea what year, what value or what I should do with it or any others.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 8:33 pm 

pay as little as possible. MCM stereos command a higher price, due to styling

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 9:29 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
There is NO "value" other that which you decide on. I think people need to get over the idea that one-off items have some sort of price guide. The only price that counts is the one you are happy with. Prices vary as much with location as with condition. What you pay $500 for in downtown NYC will be $50 in Ogdensburg. Just do what makes you happy. If you aren't sure you paid the estate enough ... give some extra.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 12:45 am 

Thank you so much for the information. Like I wasn't aware that the MCM's demand higher price usually. So I guess I probably got a good deal on the first one I bought.. A RCA with just a turntable and radio. It was mentioned on here by someone asking about restoring it. I paid 25$ for it as well. Have to admit this all started with just enjoying picking up vinyl I liked but I'm quickly catching the fever for all things involved with the enjoyment of those records and memories.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 3:22 am 

around here, a fair market price for the standard common long stereo with a 10-25 watt amplifier, 10"-12" speakers with a tweeter or two, with some life to it (radio plays, at least), is anywhere between $10 and $25 bucks or cheaper.

if one is looking for a specific "better" top line model such as a massive Magnavox / Zenith with dual horns on each channel, 15" speakers with magnets the size of a soccer balls, a fair price if it has "life" (radio at least plays) would be around $30-$50.

if the set is dead or the radio does not even play, the price will go down considerably to as low as it being free.

here was a massive Magnavox that came to me last year. the project did not turn out well.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=341478&p=2863741#p2863741

you could land an airplane on this thing and it would rattle the walls. it was one of the most powerful consoles that I ever heard and the sound was amazing despite the transistor hiss-crackle-pop. it was a wonder the bolts held the woofers in place when they pounded.

steve