Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 22, 2019 1:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello, and I've got a new project! GE H-87
PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 6:41 am 

Hi, Just an introductory post to say hi to the forum. I recently got a pretty good deal on an GE H-87 that a neighbor needed to sell to move - beautiful cabinet and clean chassis - no barn time for this one, so I risked $25. I was a TV/Radio repairman back in the 70's, until the throwaway electronics was a clear threat on the horizon. I'm a retired chemist now, but have still dabbled in musical instrument amp and guitar repair, appliance and radio repair over the last 40 years. I'm just one of those guys (like many of you) who just gets a lot of satisfaction about repairing broken things! My GE has the baby vomit smelling shrunken escutcheon (now removed and double bagged in the garage) and the broken "power beam" section of the wafer switch. Fortunately, it has a small clean break that will respond well to some epoxy and glass fiber repair. The rubber insulation on every non-fabric wire is disintegrating, but as soon as I can verify that there are no B+ shorts, I'll pull the tubes and check for ripple, and go from there. If I can get the old girl working, my plan is to build a low powered AM transmitter to stream PC playlists to the radio. Or, since it has a phono input, mod a bluetooth speaker to feed the same. But I'm pretty rusty, so I'm sure I'll have some questions for the forum. If it works, I'm also going to fabricate a new escutcheon w/o the benefit of 3D printing, and cast a new knob, so I'll post progress on that if it comes to be.
Thanks, James

Post subject: Re: Hello, and I've got a new project! GE H-87
PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 9:54 am 

Looking forward to the pictures.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 2:36 pm 

That is a 6 tube AM radio circuit that is inflated to 8 tubes by adding another 6Y6 and another 5Y3.
I think I need to see the schematic, but the output tubes might be in parallel rather than push-pull. The 6y6's have an output of 6W each.
It will be a fun project. Enjoy. 8)

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 10:55 pm 

Had one of those once...good player!

Attachments:
GeH87.jpg
GeH87.jpg [ 88.11 KiB | Viewed 330 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 11:03 pm 

The knobs are available here: http://renovatedradios.com/product.php?product=356
Had one many yrs ago too.

Terry

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 1:03 am 

Welcome to the forum James.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 3:04 am 

It does look like the output tubes are in push-pull, so that means a potential output power of 12 Watts 12.5 max, impressive for the late 1930's.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 008012.pdf

This may seem low compared to modern transistor amp specs, but with the efficient speaker they installed in this radio, it will rattle your windows. 8)

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 6:24 am 

westcoastjohn wrote:
It does look like the output tubes are in push-pull, so that means a potential output power of 12 Watts 12.5 max, impressive for the late 1930's.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 008012.pdf

This may seem low compared to modern transistor amp specs, but with the efficient speaker they installed in this radio, it will rattle your windows. 8)

Yep, 12W will do the job! Back in '76 , a customer gave me his old Fisher tube stereo tuner amp with PP 6V6 that were good for 12W per channel when he "went transistor", and after a filter cap and alignment, that unit definitely rattled windows going through my EVs! The customer was Martin Milner down in Del Mar - our shop was in Solana Beach - and he was the nicest guy in the world. I sure wish I had that one again - hand wired in good ole US of A. And weighed about 40 lbs!