Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sun 25, 2019 6:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1937-38 Motorola 9R Cylindrical Console Radio
PostPosted: Jan Mon 04, 2016 10:56 pm 

Hi;

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=181772&start=20

I have the EXACT unit above . I got it from a family member who inherited it as a treasured item from a long-deceased aunt. After 15+ years in a corner, I have finally have time to look into getting it going again.

The cabinet is in fairly good shape. At some point it was sanded down to raw wood. The base separates from the top if it is moved, so it has been in one spot and only moved on a roller base.

The electronics are 'there' but have never been tried in my ownership. My goal in surfing to this site was to get a sense of the value of the unit before I do anything to it and to learn more about the process. I am pretty handy and have access to an oscilloscope and meters. I would appreciate feedback on where/how to start as tube-radios predate my knowledge by a little bit.

Low Res Photos below, more to come in 24 hours.

Attachment:
IMG_4299.jpg
IMG_4299.jpg [ 93.88 KiB | Viewed 4164 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4301.jpg
IMG_4301.jpg [ 88.72 KiB | Viewed 4164 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4302.jpg
IMG_4302.jpg [ 103.48 KiB | Viewed 4164 times ]

Last edited by latestart on Jan Tue 05, 2016 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Cylindrical Motorola console
PostPosted: Jan Tue 05, 2016 12:03 am 

Hello John

Got your E-mail

Glad to help

Will send Schematics.

Hard Part will be finding Correct Record player and Grill Cloth

Congrats on a nice find, that makes 7 I know of and a possible 8th in Texas.

Bob T

Post subject: Re: 1937-38 Motorola 9R Cylindrical Console Radio
PostPosted: Jan Tue 05, 2016 3:00 am 

record player appears to be 1949-50 VM. probably replaced to be able to play lps and 45's when those came out. Even without the "correct" record player it will be a cool piece.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 05, 2016 4:00 am 

It's certainly valuable enough to make it worth restoring, and to also take care doing it. You probably won't need a scope, but you probably will need a multimeter. In addition to the grill cloth and record player, it looks like it needs a new dial cover as well. That might be available, or one could be made for you.

If it were mine, I'd focus on fixing the radio first, then the cabinet. The record player is kind of an accessory that can come later.

Very cool!

Dale

PostPosted: Jan Tue 05, 2016 4:37 am 

John, welcome to the club. I recently acquired "number 6." Mine is missing both the chassis and record player.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 05, 2016 5:50 am 

This radio is very rare. Well worth putting effort into it! There was a similar looking table radio made by Emerson too.

The main deal is to do the refinishing correctly. Toned lacquer is what the original was. Grille cloth is tougher to find these days as the main maker of the repro stuff went out 5 years ago.

THe chassis restoration is pretty straight ahead for most of us here. Mainly capacitors, some resistors maybe.

THe dial cover is easy... www.dialcover.net naturally.

Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jan Tue 05, 2016 11:41 am 

One of the top most unusual radio designs of all time. It's amazing that something like that was even produced. I would do a top restoration on that. It's value afterwards would be worth the expense. It also would be great to get a more period turntable. There are so many collectors out there with stock-piles of old sets. It's likely something acceptable could be located.
Good luck with that rarity!

PostPosted: Jan Tue 05, 2016 12:38 pm 

It would be nice if one of the repro dial-glass folks manufactured a new plastic "dial bubble" for this set. I have a 10Y-1 which is
similar to this chassis (except that it has motor-drive presets) and it uses the same dial plastic as the 9 series. Motorola's 1937 9 and 10 series were technically innovative in some ways and somewhat "backward" in others- I guess that Motorola was trying to hit a "sweet spot" between having cool sales features and low production costs.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 05, 2016 1:34 pm 

The Re-Pro Dial and SW Dial Plastics ,are both available $18 each + shipping from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221973845111?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

The Dial itself is also available for the 9 series and works for the 6T
@ Radio Daze
http://www.radiodaze.com/search.php?search_query=DIALS

Bob T

PostPosted: Jan Tue 05, 2016 1:37 pm 

lorenz200w wrote:
It would be nice if one of the repro dial-glass folks manufactured a new plastic "dial bubble" for this set. I have a 10Y-1 which is
similar to this chassis (except that it has motor-drive presets) and it uses the same dial plastic as the 9 series. Motorola's 1937 9 and 10 series were technically innovative in some ways and somewhat "backward" in others- I guess that Motorola was trying to hit a "sweet spot" between having cool sales features and low production costs.

Could you explain more on this subject? Interested in your observations

I am in contact with all known owners.

Thanks

Bob T

PostPosted: Jan Wed 06, 2016 3:24 pm 

Wow! You are very lucky! I would love to find one of these! There was a similar round console made on the West coast by Herbert Horn under the brand name Tiffany Tone. That one is even rarer. Some day I'll find mine...

I think the unusual thing about these higher tube count Motorolas from '37 is that they all have single-ended amps. The 9-tube chassis doesn't have an RF amp, but has dual IF amps and a tuning eye. The 10- and 12-tube chassis have a pretty full-bore feature set with RF amp, dual IF amps, interstation squelch, AVC and AFC circuits, tuning eye... And yet still just a single-ended output.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 06, 2016 7:03 pm 

joybird wrote:
lorenz200w wrote:

Could you explain more on this subject? Interested in your observations

I am in contact with all known owners.

Thanks

Bob T

Palegreenthumb in a subsequent post nicely summarized the technical "highs" and "lows" of these sets. I'll only add that on the "highs" side the 10Y-1 (and probably the higher-tube-count sets as well, but not the 9 series) also had a speaker system which seemed to be an early attempt (1937!) at a bass-reflex speaker (totally sealed speaker chamber with front port). Would have been nice had they gone the extra mile and included a push-pull output stage on their "high end" radios...but that's where the recurring production cost factor kicks in. Motorola was a very successful competitor in the consumer radio arena so it's hard to be critical of their product planning.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 06, 2016 8:49 pm 

This was the very First year 1937 , that Motorola made Home Radios available to the Public.
After Galvin by out.
I have an original Catalog.

Sure do wish they were PP.
Strange thing is they used 3 IF Transformers and took the AVG off the Primary of the 3rd one.
Thanks for the input. I welcome all input , trying to keep history of the 1937 Model year.

Bob T

PostPosted: Jan Wed 06, 2016 10:27 pm 

joybird wrote:
This was the very First year 1937 , that Motorola made Home Radios available to the Public.
After Galvin by out.
I have an original Catalog.

Sure do wish they were PP.
Strange thing is they used 3 IF Transformers and took the AVG off the Primary of the 3rd one.
Thanks for the input. I welcome all input , trying to keep history of the 1937 Model year.

Bob T

Well- for us "radio rat rodders" nothing is sacrosanct. It would be a piece of cake to retrofit one of these units with a P-P audio output stage, perhaps using Philco's contemporary technique of screen-current signal pickoff to avoid the use of a phase inverter tube. The 6V6 isn't a big heater-current-hog so one could probably be added to the existing chassis without stepping up the power transformer.

An even bigger "improvement" might be to add degenerative feedback. This, too, would be fairly straightforward.

For what it's worth, I consider the model year 1937 to be the absolute pinnacle of USA radio innovation/marketing. There were some nice sets before and after this seminal year, but 1937 was a phenomenal year for innovative/goofy/awe-inspiring consumer radio sets.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 06, 2016 11:49 pm 

Could any one post a photo of the Emerson Table Set for comparison sake, please? Wonderful thread ~ what a _________ set!!! Vocabulary fails me.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 07, 2016 7:00 am 

I believe that would be the Emerson 177, available with the AP or AR chassis.

AP-177:

Also, the Tiffany Tone 113 "Riviera" by Herbert H. Horn can be seen in this recent thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=275863&start=0

PostPosted: Jan Thu 07, 2016 1:41 pm 

These are really cool radios! It seemed others were going for the "round" look about the same time period. The Zenith 9S263 comes to mind.

I once had a 9Y myself and I recall the speaker was enclosed in it as well.

lorenz200w wrote:
For what it's worth, I consider the model year 1937 to be the absolute pinnacle of USA radio innovation/marketing. There were some nice sets before and after this seminal year, but 1937 was a phenomenal year for innovative/goofy/awe-inspiring consumer radio sets.

This is very evident with Sparton. They were building up through the early 30s and topped out with their mirror dial and the big 18 tube 1937 Triolian. 1938 wasn't bad, but no 18 tube 3 speaker model to be seen. After that? Hmm... Sparton seemed to go WAY downhill...
I've often wondered what caused this? It certainly is evident across the board, moreso with some, not so obvious with others.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 07, 2016 2:49 pm 

Yes the 9Y Speaker is enclosed. 3/8 Plywood Back over speaker.
Chassis is open
Just finished one I bought from Willie.

The alignment of the Bronze Cables to change Bands it tricky . Has to be centered just right to get it to operate smooth. Again the 9Y is same chassis as the 9R. 3 IF Cans

Bob T

PostPosted: Jan Thu 07, 2016 3:25 pm 

I think all these cylinder type cabinets are beautiful. Fun when we see a member find one of the Motorolas knowing what Joybird put into his restoration years back.
That Emerson PGT mentioned above (177 cabinet with either chassis/looks like kitchen trashcan) has probably been on my "look for" list longer than any other. Ive never seen one for sale anywhere and as close as Ive ever seen is one of the Emerson chairsides with half round speaker area. One of our members grabbed one late last year.
Even if most of us arent lucky/smart enough to find a Motorola like these it's still fun to see + education/

PostPosted: Jan Thu 07, 2016 5:57 pm 

joybird wrote:
Yes the 9Y Speaker is enclosed. 3/8 Plywood Back over speaker.
Chassis is open
Just finished one I bought from Willie.

The alignment of the Bronze Cables to change Bands it tricky . Has to be centered just right to get it to operate smooth. Again the 9Y is same chassis as the 9R. 3 IF Cans

Bob T

After it sat in my bedroom for 25 years, I recapped my 9Y and sold it to a fellow collector a few years back. Now that I think about it, I do believe that it had a plywood rear cover over the entire speaker chamber (secured with MANY wood screws!). However, I'm pretty sure that it was slightly different from the 10Y-1 that now occupies my bedroom... did the 9Y have a full 3/4" plywood plate in the bottom of the cabinet? Did it have a small oblong opening in the speaker board, toward the bottom of the radio? I'm thinking that the 9Y omitted the bottom cabinet plate and speaker board front opening, but I honestly can't remember- I didn't open up the speaker chamber when I recapped the set (no need to do so) and am working off memory from when I restored the cabinet, some 30 years ago.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 41 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next