Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 14, 2019 10:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Addison Model 52
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 12:36 am 

Hi I have a Addison model 52 waterfall radio Ivory in color and was wondering if this is rare color?

Post subject: Re: Addison Model 52
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 5:11 pm 

Any chance you could post a picture? And, would that be an A2, instead of 52?
As far as Bakelite sets go, the MOST common paint color was ivory.
Some models of some manufacturers came in many colors (Crosley's ColoRadio came in six options for example). I have a thing for Arvin 450/451 sets; I've found natural (brown Bakelite), ivory, dark green, and salmon factory colors so far.
Dan

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 9:17 pm 

Yarehobbiesso$ wrote:
Any chance you could post a picture? And, would that be an A2, instead of 52?
As far as Bakelite sets go, the MOST common paint color was ivory.
Some models of some manufacturers came in many colors (Crosley's ColoRadio came in six options for example). I have a thing for Arvin 450/451 sets; I've found natural (brown Bakelite), ivory, dark green, and salmon factory colors so far.
Dan
And Zenith has series of multi-color models in the 1950s.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 12:50 am 

Right, the 'waterfall' trim around the dial is on the A2.
If it is white Plaskon, it is not common. If it is Plaskon the color will be consistent thoughout, including inside and it is little bit flexible, although these cabinets are quite thick and you shouldn't mess with bending the cabinet at all.
If it is factory painted white, the cabinet will be dark inside, the inside of the cabinet would not be painted. A hot pin will not melt Bakelite. Also it is brittle, no flex. Factory paint 70 years old will have a chip or two in the paint.

Also, the trim pieces are removable, held on with screws from the inside, and there is a vendor who is dismantling these radios and selling individual trim pieces. So it is possible some radios are out there put together from different colored parts.

There are images of a natural Bakelite Addison A2, but in closeup, faint traces of white paint are visible. That one has been stripped.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 1:50 pm 

Westcoastjohn is correct; I had completely forgotten they made those in Plaskon, or beetle plastic (my brain was in 'painted' mode). There were a few in Catalin also.
Just looked; I saw a blue Plaskon went for over $1000 on that auction site, and a butterscotch Catalin for $625.
Art Hoch, yes, I've had a few of the Zenith molded plastic sets from the mid-late 50's. Nice looking sets. I found one of those in Plaskon also.
I ran into two in a row with SMD, so I haven't picked up a Zenith in a while :(
Dan