Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sun 29, 2020 9:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Parmac help needed
PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 10:09 pm 

Parmac radios were first produced back in the 20's by the Parker - McCrory company. Most early models were battery powered, intended for farm use and other locations without electric service. The company is still in operation in Kansas City, but has not produced radios for many decades. I have a very early 5-tube console model that includes a built in battery shelf. I bought it about 25 years ago at an auction and have used it as a piece of living room furniture ever since. It is quite a conversation piece, but I'm 84 now and selling off my antique radio collection, but I can not find any further information about this radio, thus I assume it is rather rare. It has a Bakelite chassis, 5 tubes, all 301's that look original (they even have a paper label stuck to each one to record usage hours) and it does not appear to have been used much. If possible,I would at least like to know the model name and year of manufacture along with a guestimate of it's collectability. Thanks for looking. - Alex

Attachments:
reduced.jpg
reduced.jpg [ 146.46 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]

Post subject: Re: Parmac help needed
PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 3:24 am 

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum.

The only Parmak model I see online similar to that is the "Super Parmak." Your radio is probably electrically identical to the Super Parmak, plus the larger cabinet to house the speaker and batteries. The RadioMuseum page for the S.P. is here:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/parmak_parmak.html

That style of radio is called a 5-tube 3-dialer by collectors. Radios like that were manufactured for about a 2-year window from mid-1924 to mid-1926, principally considered a 1925 thing. As a class, 5-tube 3-dialers are ubiquitous, even though any particular model might be pretty rare. A lot of radios were sold in 1925, and a lot of them still turn up. Prices are limited by the sheer quantity of available choices.

Collectability I'd say is about the same as, or a little less collectible than, any 5-tube 3-dialer table model. The reason I think it might be less collectible than a table model is that the floor-standing cabinet seems to be a liability; few people want it taking up space in their house. But someone might find it appealing because it includes a speaker, has a decorative grill, and has space to hide a power supply, so you never know. It depends in part on how good a salesman you are.

Hope that helps,

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 9:22 pm 

Rodney - Thanks for the info - guess I had trouble finding it because I was spelling it with a "C" rather than a "K" - didn't realize my search engine was that narrow banded. I looked through all the antique radio books I have and could not find a thing about a Parmak console radio in any of them. The few Super Parmak table models I found on the internet were in the $300 - $400 asking range, without the Utah speaker as in the console model. And yes, the large size would present a shipping problem. Might have to be pickup only, I guess. Come to think of it, I might just give Parker-McCrory a call too see if they have any interest in it. They're only a couple of hours up the road in KC. We have family nearby and go up there quite often. Regards, Alex, KW5D

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 3:59 am 

Hi Alex,

Looking at sold auctions on eBay, I see 5-tube 3-dialers that have sold anywhere from $50-300. The wide range can be attributed to a number of factors including: desirability of the particular radio, quality of the photos, sanity of the textual description, physical condition of the radio, whether it's known to have good tubes and be in working condition, and how much the shipping costs.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Collectible-Tube ... nc&_sop=13

[If you're not familiar with sold prices on eBay: Radios with their price shown in black did not sell. Radios with their price shown in green did sell, at the shown price. Radios with their price in green but crossed out also sold, but they were "Buy It Now / Make an Offer" sales where the seller accepted a different price from the asking price. The asking price is shown crossed out in green, and the actual sale price is not known.]

Be careful to compare apples to apples. Don't look at an 8-tube superhet, or a 3-tube radio from 1923, and think you're looking at a comparable radio whose price has bearing on yours. The best comps are radios with 5 tubes and 3 tuning dials... And there are enough of them to make a decent comparison. You should also note that radios without shipping sell for much less than their counterparts, or often, don't sell at all.

If you don't offer shipping, then you are basically conducting a local sale, regardless of whether you have the radio listed on eBay, on craigslist, or in your church bulletin. In a local sale, I'd say you should expect to sell your radio for half OR LESS of what comparable radios sell for on eBay with shipping. That's just because the number of potential buyers near you is so much smaller than the buyers who can be reached nationally or internationally on eBay.

I like the idea of asking Parker McCrory directly. But don't get your hopes too high... If they wanted one and were determined to find it, they would probably have had one back in the '90s.