Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 05, 2020 3:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How old to be an antique?
PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 1:01 am 

Hello,

Forgive me if this has been covered before BUT how old should a radio be for it to be considered an antique?

Steve

Post subject: Re: How old to be an antique?
PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 1:56 am 

A true antique is an item perceived as having value because of its aesthetic or historical significance, and often defined as at least 100 years old, although the term is often used loosely to describe any object that is old.

Something antique is also vintage, but something vintage isn't necessarily antique. Vintage refers to something that is from an earlier generation.

Semantics... language is used figuratively and literally to produce meaning.
:) Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 2:53 am 

Definitions vary, 100years for everything except a car which only needs to be 20. Its all subjective but I think the best one is: Something that most people wouldn't recognize anymore, is of a style that is out of fashion, and/or is no longer commonly used today. It need not have any value or be particularly old.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 2:59 am 

Definition on internet.
antique. [anˈtēk]
NOUN
.1.a collectible object such as a piece of furniture or work of art that has a high value because of its considerable age.

A radio does not fit the definition well as 80 year old radios may have little value and not considered a work or art. But, I would believe any radio from the 1950s and earlier are antiques.

Edit- I should have mentioned 1960s-1970s gear for audiophiles are called vintage, not antique.

Last edited by jimbenedict on Feb Tue 11, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 3:27 am 

There is no definitive age for vintage radios to be considered "antique". I believe it's subjective and varies from one person's opinion to another.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 4:04 am 

KDKA will turn 100 years old in November. In March, 2021, just a year from now, the Westinghouse RA-DA will be 100 years old. Any radios from WW-I are surely antiques by anyone's definition.

Even the youngest consumer tube radios... Last sold in 1970?... are 50 years old by now.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 4:20 am 

We see antique transistor radios all the time, and antique stereo consoles too.

Some people use 'vintage', but that just makes them harder to find in a search.

Correction - after reading Mark's comment below, I see I should be searching for 'vintage radio' more.
Also 'rare' and 'beautiful'. :lol:

Last edited by westcoastjohn on Feb Wed 12, 2020 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 3:11 pm 

I search antique radios on ebay and have seen antique LED plastic clock radios listed. So I guess if you are a kid, any radio over 10 years old is an antique. In their opinion. It would be fun to tune in KDKA with my Westinghouse RC on their anniversary. Probably have to spot the frequency with a signal generator first instead of guessing where to tune for it. Maybe make a video.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 3:42 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
This question of "how old" is a question that we who are older need to think about when younger members start to post about what "they" think is old. For those of use who grew up with a tube radio on the kitchen counter and whose parents had a monaural turntable/receiver/amp setup in the living room, the definition of antique may not include cassette decks. For those new members who are needed here to keep the hobby thriving we may have to adjust our thinking. For a twenty-five year old enthusiast, a 1970's solid state stereo turntable/amp would be a legitimate antique in their eyes.

And we need to encourage the change in thinking.

... my $0.05

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 4:39 pm 

The AWA collectively determined that a radio/transmitter fit into the same category as an auto, antique at 25 Y.O...

Chas

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 4:44 pm 

25 years? I find that hard to swallow. That is hardly even "vintage", in my mind.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 5:05 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
wazz wrote:
25 years? I find that hard to swallow. That is hardly even "vintage", in my mind.

That's why we need to think about our ages, our places and attitudes in this hobby, how we view antiques, and whether we want to adjust our viewpoints to make this a hobby that's inclusive toward younger members ... ??

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 5:12 pm 

wazz wrote:

In audiophile circles 1995 is not even close to a vintage definition. Audiophiles label vintage in 1960s to 1970s.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 5:21 pm 

"An antique is usually an item that is collected or desirable because of its age, beauty, rarity, condition, utility, personal emotional connection, and/or other unique features. It is an object that represents a previous era or time period in human history. Vintage and collectible are used to describe items that are old, but do not meet the 100-year criteria."

However, when it comes to technology, there are very few items which can fit that age restriction. Such things as cars, airplanes, boats, radios, TV's, appliances, phonographs, gambling machines, and the like, have been popularly called antiques, though most of them are under 100 years old. Therefore, by popular usage, almost any thing can be labeled, or mis-labeled, an antique as long as it meets the criteria of the first two sentences above.

Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 5:44 pm 

Consider, our states recognize and automobile as antique when it reaches 25yo. and make provision in license plate and how such an licensed auto is to be used. Auto insurance companies are also compliance.

So where does that put a stock radio that came with that same, now antique auto? Right, a bonafide antique as recognized by law...

Is that guilt by association?

No, I am not going through 40 years of AWA mags to find and quote the topic, it is in there somewhere and was addressed at an open meeting at Canandiagua I had attended in the 70's.

I don't see, however, what the "antique" label would do for any such radio/transmitter other than just a classification. More influential collectors "classifying" radios such as "Retro" or "Classic" even "Wireless" as a "pre-broadcast" radio...

All of this labeling has its own "image" depending ones age. Although I grew up at the end of the console era. I never saw a 20's battery set actually set-up and in daily use in the 50's. In fact not even the suitcase or pocket tube portables... That, sort of, made anything that came before the console as "obsolete", old, etc, but not antique, nobody cared, stuff for the junk man...

In that, because of antique dealers, some sort of classification had to be given, 'collectibles"

Chas

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 5:47 pm 

Chas wrote:
The AWA collectively determined that a radio/transmitter fit into the same category as an auto, antique at 25 Y.O...

Chas

That's what I always heard too Chas. Not only electronics, but any old item. The reason why that's hard to swallow today, or should I say for the last 30 years or so, is that our products are both made with non-archival materials and of no design merit, unlike years earlier.

Lets get real here: It made more sense back in 1980 when someone had a radio, TV, automobile, jukebox, etc, from 1955. It looked "classic" and worthy of preservation. Now, in 2020, any everyday item from 1995 is just disposable crap. In that context it's easy to understand how many don't get the "25 year" antique concept.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 6:09 pm 

An antique must be older than the person who collects it, and older than persons who are expected to admire it or tolerate the owners conversation about it.
Just my 2bitsworth.

-Chuck K7MCG

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 6:50 pm 

Y'all a bunch of antiques yourselves!

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 7:03 pm 

egg wrote:
Y'all a bunch of antiques yourselves!

I resemble that remark! :) :(

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 7:35 pm 

Used to be "Antique" was 100 yrs old. All the antique dealers said that and many of the books did too.
It was adopted by many other hobbies (ours included) so it changed to much newer stuff.
Today the common word is "Vintage" which generally means 25 yrs or older. Do a search on Ebay for just "Antique" vs "Vintage". Vintage wins by a long shot, I think it was 2X last I looked for number of listings.
Try "Old" and "Retro" as well.

http://www.oldradioparts.net

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 45 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next