Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 05, 2020 3:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How old to be an antique?
PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 8:22 pm 

Dang!

My geometry book is an antique. 1811 .

And the stuff that gave me trouble years before I was born, hasn't changed. :evil:

Attachment:
As were many.jpg
As were many.jpg [ 200.95 KiB | Viewed 646 times ]
Attachment:
Timeless.jpg
Timeless.jpg [ 233.54 KiB | Viewed 646 times ]

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 1:13 am 

As far as radios go, I believe pre-WWII radios are antique and post-WWII radios are vintage. The rule of thumb among antique experts is 100 years old.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 1:27 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
atwaterkent1 wrote:
As far as radios go, I believe pre-WWII radios are antique and post-WWII radios are vintage. The rule of thumb among antique experts is 100 years old.

Good thing we're not experts !! Phew .... that was close !! :)

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 1:35 am 

atwaterkent1 wrote:

It's definitely who and where you ask. Actually some antiques experts hate the use of "vintage" which they will say should only be used for wines. I would say that the old rule used to be 100 years when Chippendale furniture, spinning wheels, and copper bed warmers were "legitimate" antiques, but by about the 1970's when throwaway pop-culture items became hot tickets, it changed with the times to 25 years.

PS - Good one John! :) Fine wines age gracefully. People sort of go bad like banana's.....and some even go banana's! :lol:

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 4:07 pm 

You can call something 25 years old an antique, but that doesn't make it an antique. The word antique comes from the latin word "antiquus" meaning ancient. A twenty five year old person is ancient? :lol:

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 6:33 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
You can call something 25 years old an antique, but that doesn't make it an antique. The word antique comes from the latin word "antiquus" meaning ancient. A twenty five year old person is ancient? :lol:

I was thinking about "Antiques and Collectibles" signs and realized those are the two categories. Collectibles are the for the more frivolous/fun pop-culture items. Antiques are the older and more significant/historical, higher-level-quality items.
I never saw myself as an "antiques collector". I picture a snooty guy with an English accent, monocle, and walking stick! The radio's, TV's, phono's, records, and art-deco items I have are fun "collectibles" to me, although saying I'm a "collectibles collector" sounds pretty odd!

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 8:09 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
Definition on internet.
antique. [anˈtēk]
NOUN
.1.a collectible object such as a piece of furniture or work of art that has a high value because of its considerable age.

A radio does not fit the definition well as 80 year old radios may have little value and not considered a work or art. But, I would believe any radio from the 1950s and earlier are antiques.

Edit- I should have mentioned 1960s-1970s gear for audiophiles are called vintage, not antique.

After reading all the replies, I revise a true antique radio to 1935 or earlier.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 8:23 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
After reading all the replies, I revise a true antique radio to 1935 or earlier.

I don't. I think the definition is fluid.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 8:29 pm 

I don't think that there's a "one size fits all" answer to the OP's question. Mr. Bartley seems to have hit the nail on the head, in fact.

Generally, a century old makes things such as furniture or paintings antiques, but I would suggest that appliances and automobiles manufactured in the 1930's would qualify. Slot machines that are at least 25 years old are legal to own in many states, as they are considered antiquated, as an example of a recent "antique".

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 9:02 pm 

75 years old.
I have a 40 year old land yacht, which qualifies for antique plates (and saves a few $$), but I can hop in it any day and drive into town. I do not think of it as an antique, maybe a collectible to the right person. My brother collects 60's muscle cars, and he would grimace if you ever called them antiques.
I agree with the sentiment that furniture, fine crystal, china, etc. would need to be 100 years old.
In the radio world - and we all have an opinion - I personally feel that the fine line is pre-war versus post war, almost aligning with power transformer or AA5 designs. Which is in the 75 year old range. I have dozens of post war radios, and I just don't think they could be considered antique. I suppose a similar line could be made with console versus table top, again, almost the same age category.
I also agree though, that today's new 'collectors' are looking for 1970's Hi-Fi systems, or a twin to their parents 60's console stereo, and even to a lesser degree some are looking for 'gaming' CRT TV's from the 80's. We can't criticize if they want to call something we bought new off the showroom floor an antique. As has been pointed out, they will need to get enthused about this hobby and not feel shunned by it.
As far as selling, I never call mine antiques, and I may overuse the term 'vintage'. Maybe I should change that to glean a bigger potential market! "Antique Rare Hard to find Japanese AA5 in a plastic cabinet with a curtain burner cord"
My two Land of Lincoln coins,
Dan

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 9:23 pm 

My first computer was an AST bravo 286-8. Today it is "apparently" collectible, according to some computer enthusiasts that I know. Personally I think it's a doorstop, but .... fluid and all ... :)

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 10:38 pm 

Canadian Customs uses 100 years to define an import as "antique". Seems to rule out most radios and audio... for now!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 11:50 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
jimbenedict wrote:

I don't. I think the definition is fluid.

I wouldn't quibble with something close to but not quite yet 100 years old being antique, 85 or 90 old years would seem reasonable.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Feb Thu 13, 2020 5:16 am 

John Bartley wrote:
My first computer was an AST bravo 286-8. Today it is "apparently" collectible, according to some computer enthusiasts that I know. Personally I think it's a doorstop, but .... fluid and all ... :)

Collectible of course doesn't translate to being an antiquity. Certain 8 track tapes, in their original cellophane wrappers are very collectible, as are certain Hot Wheels cars, but they're hardly antiques.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 13, 2020 5:37 am 

Do we often discuss plastic and transistor radios on this "antique radio" forum? Yes, we do. How about 70 year old FM radios? Yes, we do.
Do we often find examples of the above mentioned radios proudly displayed in antique stores? Yes, we do.
When we search for 'antique radio', do these above mentioned radios appear in the search results? Yes, they do.
How many of those search results are actual 100 year old radios? Not very many.

It doesn't really matter to me personally so call them the way you see them. :lol:

PostPosted: Feb Thu 13, 2020 5:56 am 

atwaterkent1 wrote:

Maybe the problem is we have a bunch of antique or vintage or collectable people on the forum trying to define if they are antique. Things get returned around as people see fit. I here that people that are 65 are the real 50s now. Tube TVs are not that long gone but I here people call them antiques. Young people can not dial a rotary phone which was around not too long ago. With no good set of rules on what is an a antique except the 100 year rule I think different items can have different parameters to be classified as an antique. I do agree that anything pre war would be an antique though. It seems some people classify items as an antique so they will get a higher sale price. Maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Tom

PostPosted: Feb Thu 13, 2020 7:03 am 

tomb123 wrote:
Maybe the problem is we have a bunch of antique or vintage or collectable people on the forum trying to define if they are antique.

At 75 years old, I can honestly proclaim that I am 3/4 antique! :wink:

PostPosted: Feb Thu 13, 2020 8:54 pm 

So antique is largely subjective now and all the other terms mean what the writer wants them to mean, as well. I myself do use vintage and antique as a search term to discriminate away heaps of plastic junk on ebay. Retro is something I ignore although that may be where you find the ugly repurposed or junk replica stuff. Old is too vague for me. Classic implies some quality or aesthetic values to me, not just "old".

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 12:45 am 

wazz wrote:
I myself do use vintage and antique as a search term to discriminate away heaps of plastic junk on ebay.
Right, on eBay, the 1950's are labeled 'vintage' while the 30's are 'antique', more or less. I think 'Tube radio' fetches them all, but sellers don't always put the term 'tube' in the ad.
Searching Kijiji, the category that get most hits is 'antique radio', and that search term gets all tube and early transistor models.
On a local Buy/Sell site, 'Tube radio' gets most, but 'antique tube radio' gets a few more.
wazz wrote:
Retro is something I ignore although that may be where you find the ugly repurposed or junk replica stuff. Old is too vague for me. Classic implies some quality or aesthetic values to me, not just "old".
You mean rare beautiful art deco mid century radio? :lol:

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 3:23 am 

wazz wrote:
So antique is largely subjective now and all the other terms mean what the writer wants them to mean, as well.

True, but I think the terms can be somewhat relevant;

"Antique", as used in passive objects, such as furniture, china, or paintings I believe would generally have to pass the 100 year test.

"Vintage" seems to refer to specific time periods, regardless of the item.

"Retro" appears to imply a newer manufactured item with the styling of a previous era. My 2005 "Retro" T-Bird would be a likely example. The "50's" looking radio/CD or cassette player table models would be another.

Not set in stone, just my humble observations.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 45 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next