Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 26, 2020 2:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the 1920's Homebrew Set
PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 12:26 pm 

Very nice! Your old radio is certainly getting a new lease on life! :D
Are you going to use cloth covered wire underneath?

Either Radio Daze or Antique Electronic Supply was selling what is often called "Push Back wire" which is a low voltage type cloth covered stranded wire.
You simply cut it and then "push back" the cloth a bit to reveal the wire.
For a battery set like this it would be ideal.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 1:38 pm 

Love your process pictures...
Robert

PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 2:21 pm 

Robert - Glad you enjoy!

Steve - Was planning to just put the original cloth wires back in the set. They seem to be in decent condition other than a bit of excess fraying on the ends, but I guess that is the nostalgia of the whole thing! I labeled and tracked each one as I took it out, so was planning to put it right back in the same spot. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 2:28 pm 

If the wires are in good shape and you kept track of them, then why not?

I just mentioned the idea just in case. No reason not to reuse them.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 4:53 pm 

Maybe you can use these.

Attachment:
DSC04237.JPG
DSC04237.JPG [ 556.69 KiB | Viewed 168 times ]

Attachment:
DSC04239.JPG
DSC04239.JPG [ 395.39 KiB | Viewed 168 times ]

Attachment:
DSC04240.JPG
DSC04240.JPG [ 398.98 KiB | Viewed 168 times ]

Attachment:
DSC04241.JPG
DSC04241.JPG [ 398.49 KiB | Viewed 168 times ]

Attachment:
DSC04242.JPG
DSC04242.JPG [ 398.02 KiB | Viewed 168 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Mon 26, 2020 6:09 pm 

Thanks all for the additional suggestions, input and artwork! I'll see what I can make of it all!

For now - one thousand! Well, at least that is my story and I'm stickin' to it! Bought some .023" annealed wire for core material. This essentially matches the diameter wire from the Hegehog. A cold October night by the fire and a lot of cutting later, I have a pile of core strands!

Well, OK - the cutting wasn't too bad... I laid out about 20 long strands of wire across the floor and made a little trough of the proper length to lay them in / even them up. One whack with the shears and 20 more wires go in the pile.

And technically, I'm a bit short of 1000 strands. 20 strands came out to right at 5 grams, and the whole batch came out to 248.4 grams, so technically, it's more like 993 strands, give or take!

The wire came annealed. Of course there is some work hardening by handling / straightening it. Likely not much, but I gave the wires a quick firing in my 'annealing furnace'. Definitely not perfect, but slowly running the torch back and forth gave each wire a chance to get orange hot and slowly cool, plus, built up a bit of an oxide coating. No eddy current shunting here!

So after the cool down, time to stuff the cores. I stuffed an initial group of wires in the core, then once the 'easy' wires were in, I fed small groups of 10-15 wires into the center of the bundle with some gentle tapping to drive them fully in. I eventually got all the wires I cut in the cores - almost 500 per core. I probably could have driven more wires in, but it occurs to me that driving the wires in like this may actually be stretching the core out. Would hate to stretch too much and break a strand of copper wire in the winding... then I'm right back to where I was on the original! So going to call it good here!

Nothing left now but to fold them. The Hegehogs were folded with one side 'prevailing'...that is to say one side of the wires were ALL folded first, then the other side were ALL folded over the them. This gave the wires a specific orientation where then can easily push through the housing in one direction. So I will duplicate that.

Guess now we start to see where the 'Hegehog' comes from!

Now I can take measurements for the outer housing. Looks like the original steel is 0.027" thick so that is putting me down in the 24-22 gauge steel area... likely 24 gauge with a thou or two in paint / coating.

I knew this would be close, but the original Hegehog has a very slightly bigger core 0.600" diameter vs 1/2 x 1/2 square on mine... so fits a couple dozen more wires. But my core is 'hand folded' vs what was likely some machine on the original, so it roughly equals out. Bottom line, my cores seem to be a good fit for the same size housing, so that is what we will aim for building in the next round.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 27, 2020 1:50 am 

You've put a lot of work into saving this old radio. Good for you! I can't wait to see the finished project!

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 2:30 pm 

I am curious to know how long the restoration took.
Also, this is one example of a radio lover, good luck with it.
As for the commentators, is there anything about radios you don't know?

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 3:01 pm 

There is plenty I don't know! :D

That is the beauty of it, I've been in the hobby for 40 years and still find new things to learn!
:wink:
-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 3:09 pm 

Quote:
understand there is also supposed to be some pan or tray to help catch/contain the leaks?!? :wink:

Like this.

Attachments:
GridLeakDripPan.jpg
GridLeakDripPan.jpg [ 339.24 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 3:22 pm 

Duane B wrote:
You've put a lot of work into saving this old radio. Good for you! I can't wait to see the finished project!
I can't wait to know how it performs... chas

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 4:23 pm 

KC

Some beautiful work there! A true labor of love, especially
the Hedgehogs.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 31, 2020 3:56 am 

Duane - Thanks! Yes - way more work into this than it will ever be worth, but it rescues a small bit of history and does really strike a chord with me... I can only imagine some enterprising person looking to save a few dollars, debating over which components or kit to buy...one costs more, claims better performance, but one is a bit cheaper,etc. Finally making the big purchase, carefully assembling all the components, then finally hearing those first crackles of static and finally a voice coming through the circuits. Definitely reminds me of building my first computer from scratch!

radioer - I bought the set mid September (first time I've dealt with an old radio). Spent a couple weeks researching and made a 'hello' / intro post here on Sept 30th. Based on some great community feedback, I decided to dive in, disinfect/clean up this thing and started this thread on Oct 6th to document the restoration. Unfortunately, I can't work on it full time, or even a good portion of part time, but sneak in work when I can. Yes - certainly appreciate the wealth of commentary as I know about zero on antique radios!

paul - Yes! That's the one! :D

Chas - Me too. You've given a lot of great info. I suspect the radio and detection will work great. Homebuilt audio transformers in the output stage?!?!? who knows!

brnhornet52 - Thanks!

Overall, not much to report radio wise - busy on the run-up to Halloween! It's a big holiday for us... part of the reason I bought the radio. I ultimately wanted to sit down on a chilly October 30th evening, crank up a radio and listen to War of the Worlds. The original broadcast was Oct 30th 1938 - so I wanted to listen on a vintage set. I was searching for something when I came across this 'jewel'! Doesn't look like I made it this October 30th. Maybe next year!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 53 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3