Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 18, 2021 7:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sparton of Canada Model 99
PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 3:55 am 

Hello All,

I'm brand new here, and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
I've come into possession of a Sparton Model 99 cabinet radio.
The plate in the back indicates it was made in London, Ontario, Canada.

I've been searching for days for any info on this radio, and I haven't found much.
So far, I've only been able to find electrical schematics, and tube #'s.

I'm just wondering if it would be worth restoring, or if I should just value it as it is.
Any help or direction anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG [ 1.89 MiB | Viewed 566 times ]
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 566 times ]
IMG_0126.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG [ 1.89 MiB | Viewed 566 times ]
IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 566 times ]
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG [ 1.91 MiB | Viewed 566 times ]
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG [ 1.74 MiB | Viewed 566 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sparton of Canada Model 99
PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 7:21 am 

Have you found the service info on your set? Because I most likely have the Canadian Sparton factory service info for your set, though it should be in the RCC books as well. Is it worth restoring, well the finish on the cabinet doesn't look too bad, only one knob is missing, but it was a generic Bakelite type. Most Spartons from then seem to have a spacious chassis, so not too hard to work on, but even at that if you haven't had much experience with working on tube equipment, soldering, you might want to try something simpler to practice on. Where are you located?
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 2:16 pm 

Hi McQuiggins, welcome to the forums!

Are you asking its value because you plan to sell it, or because you plan to keep it and want to know how much to list it for on your homeowners insurance?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 5:44 pm 

Quote:

Have you found the service info on your set? Because I most likely have the Canadian Sparton factory service info for your set, though it should be in the RCC books as well. Is it worth restoring, well the finish on the cabinet doesn't look too bad, only one knob is missing, but it was a generic Bakelite type. Most Spartons from then seem to have a spacious chassis, so not too hard to work on, but even at that if you haven't had much experience with working on tube equipment, soldering, you might want to try something simpler to practice on. Where are you located?
Regards
Arran

I have little experience soldering or working with tube equipment, so that's where the expense could pile up on my end. The cabinet is the portion I can handle myself; there's little damage other than some scratches. I'm in Hamilton, Onatrio.

Quote:
Hi McQuiggins, welcome to the forums!

Are you asking its value because you plan to sell it, or because you plan to keep it and want to know how much to list it for on your homeowners insurance?

Regarding the value, it's a little of both actually; I'm testing the water on both sides, hoping to avoid sitting on it for too long. Because I have no clue of the value of the radio, either as is, or restored, nor do I have any idea what I'm getting into with a restoration. I really can't start to determine what I should do with it. Thanks for the welcome, and the quick reply to my query

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 9:21 pm 

Hello and welcome. The model number might not be 99, so check to see if you found the correct schematic. The Canadian Sparton 99 appears to be an older set, 1928-29.

This radio you have dates from 1945 to 49 I think, model number 4 digits, or 3 digits maybe with a letter, 1939 or early 40's.
For example Sparton 6218 is a table model with similar dial and buttons.
509M is another similar prewar model, and US models use a different model number sequence. If this sounds confusing, you're right, it is. :D

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 10:11 pm 

Here is the Sparton of Canada model 99 schematic.

http://pacifictv.ca/schematics/sparton99data.pdf

yes, there is an earlier model 99 radio phonograph from 1928 (Sparks Ensemble) but they decided to reuse the model number in Canada.

This is a beautiful set! Its well worth restoration! The dial lens can be replaced. I would contact Mark Palmquist https://dialcover.com/
He may be able to help.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 10:16 pm 

I got the model number from a stamped metal plate, which is fixed inside the cabinet. Possibly the cabinet is from 1 model of Sparton, and the components inside are from some other model?

Thank you for the info, the schematic, and some direction on components

Attachments:
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG [ 1.79 MiB | Viewed 481 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 10:50 pm 

Hi and welcome . In your are there should be some radio clubs. Most of these guy's are good and willing to help. I used to go to the club in Toronto and new of a club in London.Try looking up a radio club . Let us know how for make out.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 10:54 pm 

Quote:
Hi and welcome . In your are there should be some radio clubs. Most of these guy's are good and willing to help. I used to go to the club in Toronto and new of a club in London.Try looking up a radio club . Let us know how for make out.

That sounds like good advise. Thank you

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 7:19 am 

Interesting, your set appears to have automatic frequency control, rather like an FM set, there were some companies that were adding that at the time, like Northern Electric, and Canadian Marconi. but I generally thought that Sparton was more conventional. It also has five bands, AM broadcast, and four short wave bands, so once it's working you can explore the wonderful world of shortwave broadcasting.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 2:46 pm 

While the 2 or 3 very most valuable radio models are in fact consoles, in general, consoles are not as collectible as table radios. Table radios need less space, and space is always at a premium, so collectors tend to shy away from consoles. Console radios usually sell for lower prices than comparable table radios.

Furthermore, restoring a radio generally doesn't pay for itself. The cost to have a radio restored is more than the amount it increases the value of the radio. For instance, suppose you could sell that radio for $100. Having it restored electrically so it plays reliably may cost $300. But after spending the $300, it would likely increase the value of the radio by $100 or less. You may be able to find a buyer for $200, or you still may not be able to find anyone willing to pay more than $100, even though it's restored.

So if you're keeping it for yourself because you want to use it, then obviously it's worth $300 to have it restored. Otherwise it's not usable. But if you just plan to sell it, then spending the $300 makes no sense. Sell it for what you can get for it as-is, and be done with it.

-Rodney

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 1:41 am 

Right, sorry about the model # confusion, a US model 99 was found listed in error with the Canadian models.
The dial cover can be replaced by heating a sheet of clear plastic in a wooden mold. You are lucky the trim is metal.

If you wish to try replacing the capacitors, there is lots of info and examples here to learn from. If you have room for it, keep it and get it playing, .then you can stream music to it from a digital source if you can't find a good station.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 6:38 am 

To my eyes the cabinet really just needs a cleaning, and touchup, so refinishing it would put you behind in terms of reselling it, not only because it's unnecessary, but because it's worth more as an original. Unless you can replicate a perfect factory finish, with grain fillers, tinted lacquers, etc., stay with touch ups, not stripping.
As to the chassis, in my opinion it's worth restoring, but I've worked on dozens of sets in the past, such that I can't contemplate hiring someone to do it. Even a hobbyist, doing it in his spare time, would have to charge you quite a bit, depending on how much work it requires, more if it needs to be rewired, or requires things like an output transformer, or major parts. Since it's a pre war console I would guess that the majority of resistors will need to be replaced, along with the usual capacitors, and the like. Since it looks like it was stored properly most of the wiring should be fine.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 12:20 am 

Thank you to everyone for all of your knowledge and input. For someone like me who is totally unfamiliar with the world of antique radios, this has all been extremely helpful. I really do appreciate everyone's insight.

I'm still not too sure what I'll end up doing with it. Its been sitting around for quite a while, so I'm willing to let is sit a little longer while I give it some thought. Cheers

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 12:33 am 

As for cleaning, I as well as many others will recommend using an automotive type waterless hand cleaner such as Gojo or Goop.
Use the white creamy stuff NOT the orange gritty pumice type

It is safe to use on lacquer finishes and will remove all the old dirt, wax, grime off of the finish. Personally, i apply it with my hands rubbing it over the finish, then wipe it down with a soft automotive detail cloth or diaper cloth.

The cloth will become very black and dirty. It can be rinsed in warm water and let to dry to be reused again.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 2:20 am 

It's listed for offers on Kijiji Ontario, so maybe this orphan gets a new home. 8)

PostPosted: Oct Tue 12, 2021 12:42 am 

For further help locally, contact Dave Chamberlain in St. Catherines. Dave is the Network Coordinator of the Ontario Golden Horseshoe Network of the Canadian Vintage Radio Society (CVRS). His coordinates can be found here:

https://canadianvintageradio.com/about/regional-networks/ontarios-golden-horseshoe-network

Cheers,
Gary