Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 21, 2021 7:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GE Model 226 Cab
PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 2:11 am 

Hello! I hope this isn't a repeat question. I tried to do a quick look and see if anyone else had asked this before, but I didn't see it. Well I have a GE Model 226 Radio I'm working on (actually my first restore) and I was wondering if anyone knew if the cab is bakelite or a more modern type plastic? I'm still not good at distinguishing the two. It does seem to have that wood grainy undertone that some bakelite seems to have. I did check the Radio Museum website and it said it wasn't bakelite but I heard that the website can be unreileibe sometimes. This also bring me to my next question. If it is a more modern plastic, how do I get the slight white hue/ dullness out? I know some of you guys use novus products on bakelite parts,so would I use the same stuff and techniques on modern type of plastics? Sorry in advance if these is a repeat!

Post subject: Re: GE Model 226 Cab
PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 3:31 pm 

GE calls it plastic. I think it's polystyrene. Not bakelite.