Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 18, 2021 11:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosley radios
PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 1:33 pm 

Morning guys and gals.

You know, I browse the used radio markets like Facebook, Craig's list , etc. and I run across Crosley radios, which seem to be priced higher than other antiques of equivalent vintage. So I just wondered what is so GREAT about Crosley radios? Buyers seem to snap them up pretty quickly. Perhaps someone can tell me.
walt

Post subject: Re: Crosley radios
PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 1:47 am 

Real Crosley radios were produced from the 1920’s through the 1950’s. Those produced in the 1950’s are especially popular because of their iconic design, often taking styling cues from American automobile styling of the era. They are decent performing radios, but in my opinion the prices are driven by design.

Attachment:
2353CEB8-7646-43FB-B5E1-EA50A1D1AE2B.png
2353CEB8-7646-43FB-B5E1-EA50A1D1AE2B.png [ 405.24 KiB | Viewed 685 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 3:34 am 

I agree, I think it's about the styling, especially in the post-war table radios.

The pre-war Crosley radios from the 1930s and early-40s, at least around here, are not nearly as common as some other makes, and usually seem to be in poor condition when they do show up. I haven't noticed that they draw any particular premium.

I did manage to score a nice Crosley 1055-EK last year. I had known of its existence since 2014 and had been waiting for the seller to put it up for sale. Sometimes patience is a virtue.

Crosley battery radios from the early-mid 1920s do seem fairly popular and sell well.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 5:17 am 

Right, the post-war dashboard radios are basically AA5's so nothing special electronically, but they display nicely on any shelf. There are others with interesting Bakelite cabinets.

Here are some pictures of stylish pre-war Crosleys, a not so attractive wartime radio, and two post-war wood cabinets, all collectable IMO.

Attachments:
Crosley 48.jpg
Crosley 48.jpg [ 917.91 KiB | Viewed 634 times ]
Crosley 517.jpg
Crosley 517.jpg [ 656.61 KiB | Viewed 634 times ]
Crosley REO morale radio.jpg
Crosley REO morale radio.jpg [ 1004.62 KiB | Viewed 634 times ]
Crosley 106CP othr.jpg
Crosley 106CP othr.jpg [ 651.57 KiB | Viewed 634 times ]
Crosley 718-A.jpg
Crosley 718-A.jpg [ 409.09 KiB | Viewed 632 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 11:32 am 

Beware, some of the "dashboard" Crosley radios have been reproduced in China in recent years, and can be confused with the real thing when viewed online. If you see an FM band or cassette slot, it's not a real Crosley.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 1:39 pm 

Thanks for the information. Yeah I thought the newer ones were basically AA5s and nothing special electronically. But it looks like some of them do have unique designs. I guess if I run across one at a decent price I'll try to get one myself :D
walt

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 3:53 pm 

There is a Crosley collection for sale in Ontario, don't imagine all sold yet. Try Kijiji Ontario.
There is a red "Swiss Cheese" Crosley in the 2nd pic, not Bakelite, probably colored styrene plastic.

Below those, an AM/FM Crosley I'd watch for. That one has a cracked top, needs patch and paint.
Serious collectors won't want it either cracked nor painted an odd color, so price should be lower. Cheers.

Attachments:
Crosley Wall.JPG
Crosley Wall.JPG [ 230.11 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]
CrosleyWall2.JPG
CrosleyWall2.JPG [ 276.77 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]
Crosley 10-127.jpg
Crosley 10-127.jpg [ 754.68 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 8:28 pm 

It should be noted the most expensive and rare set ever sold was a Crosley, the WLW.
I think 2 are known to exist with rumors of a 3rd surviving.

Attachments:
WLW photo.JPG
WLW photo.JPG [ 88.3 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 8:38 pm 

I can remember when there was only 1 WLW known to exist, and it had not been fully restored; it may even have been incomplete. Where did #2 turn up?

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 11:24 pm 

This other one has a chip out of the base, maybe from a mover's dolly?
Working with dollies requires practice, just ask my sister, yuk, yuk. It was for sale in the PNW, as I recall.

Apologies for the picture quality, they're from the listing.

Attachments:
Crosley WLW.jpg
Crosley WLW.jpg [ 447.94 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]
s-l16006.jpg
s-l16006.jpg [ 330.39 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]
s-l16002.jpg
s-l16002.jpg [ 299.51 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 3:47 am 

westcoastjohn wrote:
There is a Crosley collection for sale in Ontario, don't imagine all sold yet. Try Kijiji Ontario.
There is a red "Swiss Cheese" Crosley in the 2nd pic, not Bakelite, probably colored styrene plastic.

Below those, an AM/FM Crosley I'd watch for. That one has a cracked top, needs patch and paint.
Serious collectors won't want it either cracked nor painted an odd color, so price should be lower. Cheers.

That isn't a collection, it's a business, a real collection would have more variety, not rows of duplicates of the same models, and would not have hang tags on every single set pictured. Probably posted on Kijiji after getting kicked off of craigslist for posting dealer ads under for sale by owner. I don't even collect Crosley sets intentionally and I still have a greater variety of models then he has.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 4:06 am 

There's this WLW being demonstrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DueG7yzfn4

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 1:07 pm 

GEEZ , I've never seen so many Crosley radios. But I have to ask what does WLW stand for ?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 5:40 pm 

WLW were (and I believe still are) the call letters of AM 700, a 50,000-watt station in Cincinnati that was established by the founder of Crosley and owned by him for many years.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 7:51 pm 

WLW 700 AM is still around-I can sometimes DX it at night. It started out in the early 1930's as a 500,000 Watt station, the most powerful one I know of.
They had to detune it to only 50,000 watts to limit its overpowering other stations.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 8:37 pm 

Arran wrote:
westcoastjohn wrote:
There is a Crosley collection for sale in Ontario, don't imagine all sold yet. Try Kijiji Ontario....

That isn't a collection, it's a business, a real collection would have more variety, not rows of duplicates of the same models, and would not have hang tags on every single set pictured. Probably posted on Kijiji after getting kicked off of Craigslist for posting dealer ads under for sale by owner. I don't even collect Crosley sets intentionally and I still have a greater variety of models then he has.
Regards
Arran
Right, I suppose it is a business now that he or somebody has them up for sale with price tags. They were described as a collection for sale at the time. He certainly collected them from all over initially and had many Crosley models, also Westinghouse H-125s, Northern Electrics, and others.
Cornering the market before it collapsed. :x

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 2:02 pm 

Arran wrote:
westcoastjohn wrote:

That isn't a collection, it's a business, a real collection would have more variety, not rows of duplicates of the same models, and would not have hang tags on every single set pictured. Probably posted on Kijiji after getting kicked off of craigslist for posting dealer ads under for sale by owner. I don't even collect Crosley sets intentionally and I still have a greater variety of models then he has.
Regards
Arran

Interesting thought, I collect Crosley Coloradios and have dozens of the same case "Bullseye". Each set has a different model number and is a different color. Some are the same color but have different cabinet features or chassis modifications that make them unique. I see myself as a collector. The clock radios pictured are similar in this same concept.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 5:52 pm 

Arran wrote:
westcoastjohn wrote:

Regards
Arran

I've known people who collect every color combination of a model. That is not unusual, and I too have tags hanging from my sets as part of my inventory system.

As far as the WLW Super Power radio is concerned, Ive seen two of them pass through Estes Auctions. The first was incomplete missing amplifier chassis and speakers. The second was complete and immaculate!

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 12:38 am 

So that makes 3, no? Because the one that was listed a couple years ago that I posted about is all there but with cabinet damage. Could be recent damage to #2 maybe.
BTW, it didn't sell from that site at least, and it was in Media, Pennsylvania.

Below is a link to a 2016 blog describing the 20015 listing, with the same pics I saved.
Some good background and specs are saved there:

https://swling.com/blog/2016/04/the-cro ... -receiver/

The Nuts And Volts article worth saving, describes the possibility of Three WLW radios:

https://www.nutsvolts.com/magazine/arti ... s-of-radio

BTW 2, from the Nuts And Volts pages, WLW could have stood for "Whole Lotta Watts" or for "World's Lowest Wages", depending on who you asked, but in fact, the letters probably were assigned arbitrarily.

Last edited by westcoastjohn on Oct Sat 02, 2021 1:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 1:02 am 

I recall a high price being placed on a WLW speaker and a discussion regarding the sale. I had thought there was also a WLW that was missing a speaker. Was this the third, and uncomplete receiver?

David

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next