Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 26, 2020 2:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Own a radio that you've not seen another like it?
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 4:05 am 

With the millions of antique radios that were made, do any of you guys have a radio that you have been unable to find another just like it?

This doesn't necessarily mean yours was THE only one ever built, but rather yours just happens to be the only one (or two, or three) out there that are left.

Also, if you do own one, are you glad, or do you find it frustrating because there aren't any others to compare yours with. Including history, schematics, references, etc.

Just wondering. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 6:47 am 

Absolutely! I have a Musique "9" cathedral radio, that seems to have no schematics published for. While I have seen maybe one or two other examples of this radio, it is pretty darn rare (IMO). It's a TRF set with 9 tubes:

1-24A
4-58's
3-47's (which is very odd, most trf's from this period have two 47's, and... I think ...a 57)
1-80

While I got the radio last year, I still haven't been able to get it to work. The transformer smokes, and I think there are some wrong or missing connections on the underside of the chassis. Very frustrating! One of these days, I will get it restored. Right now, it's just "sittin' pretty".

Here are a couple of past postings regarding my radio on this website:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... ht=musique

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... ht=musique

John S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 6:54 am 

Yes, I have a Loewe Opta 2648 GW from the street trash of
the island "Norderney", I saw only a second one, Loewe Opta
wrote me, that this radio cannot exist, but the writing on the
back cover tells another story.
I also have some crystal sets which are factory made in Germany
and Austria but are unknown in the old literature, too.
Bigger problems I have with my international TVs, some are
experimental, not only one of a kind here in Germany, they are unknown in their homecountries.
From that belgium TV "Olympe" (kit!) for example are only my and another one known!
2 channel/2 standard, 14" , 1954

Last edited by SIXMILLION DOLLARMAN on Feb Tue 12, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 7:00 am 

Yeah, a British McMichael 50XT, circa 1950. It's a tombstone category table radio with multiple bands. It's an export model with no local counterpart, and I have been looking for a schematic for 15+ years. I bought it at a flea market for almost nothing, but only after the character who was selling it had removed all the tubes and thrown them in a box with dozens of others and sold the box.

No tube layout or markings on the rear cover or a paper tag. I figured out the layout and apparent tube types from the diagram for a similar model but one tube has eluded me, an X78, a British miniature type. British sources claim no such radio was ever made, but here it is. Eventually I will get it sorted out. British radios seem to require a great deal more effort because of things like rubber covered wire and complex dial cord schemes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 7:46 am 

I've never seen another one of these Carco crystal sets. I"m sure there are more... I"ve just never seen on in 15 years or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 7:55 am 

this one looks common enough for an early 30s set but i have never seen one like it and don't know exactly what brand it is but it sure plays great for what it is.butch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 8:00 am 

Though it's not valuable or even that desirable, I have a smallish 5 tube console - a c. 1937 Grebe 605C. Same cabinet as the American Bosch 605C, except A-B put a less attractive metal faced radio in there and slapped a Grebe name on it and a 605C label as well. The radio, even though recapped, doesn't work right - it only gets 550. It was one of the few radios my radio repairman didn't have much luck with, and without putting a lot of time and money into it, it's probably going to stay that way for a good while.

The tube lineup seems to be pretty similar to the A-B 605C, but doesn't have a schematic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 10:13 am 

I once owned a Norco Bakelite. Dial scale had stations printed on it (like some of the later Packard Bells). It was AM only. The only information I was ever able to find out was that Norco was Remblers low quality line of cheap radios (according to a website I found). The radio had a lot of mods over the years, like a couple of newer tube sockets. The power transformer was not original and mounted funky on top of the chassis. My best guess was/is that it was an old curtain burner set that someone converted to a transformer set. I sold it some time later recapped and working. I never did find the correct schematic for it. It was probably a brilliant attempt at keeping a radio alive during the war. I've never seen the same model again anywhere.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 12:06 pm 

I have to add my bicycle tube radio (1957) from a small company from Dachau/Bavaria, wellknown german radio collectors told me,
that my set is the only one known.
Another rare set is a 1952/53 Wega radio , which is nowhere
listed.
I am sure, that a lot of rare stuff is around because of these
reasons:
-rare because a set came from a domestic country
-rare because the company was small
-rare because the set operates lousy and ended up fast in the trash
-rare because it was experimental
-rare because of production changes
-rare because it was hyper-expensive or ugly and no one wanted it
-rare because of "limited edition"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 1:12 pm 

I have a three dial TRF set called a Sextet. I'll have to get it off the shelf and take a picture of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 2:07 pm 

Here is a Peter Pan so the little plate on the front says. I don't know the model or who made it.
Attachment:
PN_0056.JPG
PN_0056.JPG [ 2.41 KiB | Viewed 6286 times ]

Last edited by chinobob on Aug Wed 08, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 2:34 pm 

targeteye wrote:
I've never seen another one of these Carco crystal sets. I"m sure there are more... I"ve just never seen on in 15 years or so.

NEAT looking set! I am not real big on crystal sets but I would like to have that one in my collection.

Interesting topic as well! I am looking forward to more postings.

Dave

http://pages.suddenlink.net/davesradios/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 2:45 pm 

targeteye wrote:

There's one pictured in this month's Antique Radio Classified that was on display at the AWA conference - just a bit different in that the components appear to be mounted directly to the base and not on a phenolic plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 3:47 pm 

We have quite a few unique radios. Bruce has been collecting sets that are built into home made cabinets. Some of them are quite whimsical. Our favorite is the papier mache pig with a philco transitone
chassis. You can see them on my part of photo bucket here i s a link
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/wavesllc/home%20made%20radios/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 4:18 pm 

I have a few variants of communications receivers that are undocumented but my primary mystery set is this one which I have asked about before.

The label is gone and the only name on it is "Little Giant". The tube lineup is 24A, 235, 227, 235, 24A, 227, 247, 280, and a pair of Amperite 3L (ballasts maybe), mounted on a second chassis down behind the speaker, that are globe shape and glow when turned on.

Amazingly it still works but needs a recap which I dont want to do until I learn more about the historical value of it.

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 5:13 pm 

Burnt Fingers -

I don't specifically recognize your Little Giant, but that dial, with the filigreed counter-rotating pointer is an exact match of the dial on my Silvertone 1670. It is not the same radio - different number of tubes - but it is the same era. Dunno if this helps with the ID ...

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 5:17 pm 
Silent Key

Sorry, no pictures, but an Orpheus made by Roth Downs. Most likely a 1926 model. Console, high boy type with built in horn style speaker and five 01A tubes and a battery compartment.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 5:42 pm 

I can think of a few I have but the one that I have been trying to find for years is my Coronado 770 (made by Belmont). The radio played great for about a half hour after a recap, then went silent. I checked the power transformer and the tubes still light but thats as far as I looked. I then put it aside and have not looked at it since. I was missing knobs and could not find a picture or drawing of the radio anywhere, even after posting here.

Last July I was browsing Ebay when I spotted a chassis with knobs and dial that looked like mine but was listed as an RCA. I knew what it was and it was no RCA! It had good knobs which are probably original and it was a local pick up. I couldn't sleep well until the auction ended. I even won it for a very reasonable price.

Unfortunately the guy I bought it from said he did not have the speaker or cabinet. I have not gone through the new chassis yet but, between the 2 of them I should be able to get a working radio again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 5:55 pm 

I will have to get a picture of my Franklin radio.
It states it was manufactured in Wood Lake Mn, a very small town in South west Minnesota.
From tube line up I guess it is from the early to mid 30s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 6:52 pm 

RCA 94X1.

NO dial scale and NO tuning knob - you get 6 stations from pushbuttons selecting tuned circuits and that's all. It looks like an extension speaker in a wood cabinet with a volume control knob and a row of six mysterious pushbuttons on top.

Oh, yeah, and none of this fancy-dancy superheterodyne stuff, either.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByMode ... 015274.pdf

Hmmm.... whatever happened to attaching an image from your hard drive? I looked into using Photobucket.com to post a picture of my 94X1 for y'all to look at, but balked at the privacy agreement which says Photobucket can send me marketing and promotional material - I hate that stuff.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 483 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next