Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Tue 26, 2020 11:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: teflon tape in transformer winding
PostPosted: May Thu 14, 2020 2:28 pm 

I have no problem with teflon.After the first turn,it'll hold itself in place.The trouble with any adhesive tape is that it is far too thick.When winding with thin wire,like #38.for example the tape can take up as much space as the wire.Not practicle.I do prefer 3/4 or 1 inch wide teflon,1/2 is harder to work with.

PostPosted: May Thu 14, 2020 2:38 pm 

I,ve had no problem keeping teflon in place.After the first turn it stays put.I prefer 3/4 or 1 inch width,1/2 is harder to work with.The trouble with any adhesive tape is that when winding thin wire for example #38,the tape can take up as much room as the wire.Incidentally,with modern wire,inter-layer insulation is usually not necessary.However,when using wire of unknown quality,it is better not to take a chance.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 9:52 am 

Tough Kapton tape is very good.
As i recall Teflon does 'cold flow', it creeps out of the way wherever it is under pressure. Your artistry with nice uniform tape winding may prevent any problem with the creep.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page Previous  1, 2