Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Thu 06, 2020 11:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re-cap Soldering Techniques
PostPosted: Jun Wed 17, 2020 6:57 am 

In my component replacement pursuits and antics, I have always avoided de-soldering point to point components in old radios if at all possible. Too many times it seems I did more harm than good in trying to uninstall an old capacitor, wire, resistor, or whatever; from a tube socket lug or a connection bus, etc. I could plainly see that the factory had done an excellent soldering job. So why would I risk messing that up to replace a capacitor (or whatever)? I believe in making my restorations look untampered. I like re-stuffed cap jobs. A man that has taken the time and trouble to go buy bees wax and do all that is my kind of radio man. I like a 1968 Camaro totally restored contest winner for instance. But there comes a point of absurdity and doing more harm than good. OK, that was the lecture on where I stand on good restoration work. But I have always avoided the desoldering, prying, scraping, tugging to get a part loose from its terminal. So you know what I do? T scrape the pig tale of the old part with an exacto knife to brighten it from its tarnish, cut out the old part as close as I can to the it's body, leaving a nice long pig tail in place in the radio. Then i use the remaining bit of pig tale on the old part as a form to wrap a little coil on the new part to slip over the pig tale I left in the radio. Then I crimp it with needle nose pliers and melt some solder into it. Any boob can see that the radio is no longer "original". But it sure works well, and is excellent work, if you ask me. I welcome anybody to tell me my hair brain technique is faulty. Someday soon I will be dead and gone. I want my radios to be top notch work for the next guy. I FIX knucklehead restorations I inherited. I DO NOT cause them.

Post subject: Re: Re-cap Soldering Techniques
PostPosted: Jun Wed 17, 2020 5:44 pm 

I agree that desoldering components can be a real pain. I recently had that happen trying to desolder a cap on a Zenith. The manufacturer would bend the lead of the capacitor so it extends a little further on the circuit board. It wasn't enough to simply put it through the hole and solder it! So it makes it harder to desolder. Especially with all the solder in that area. I'm always leary of the other ceramic capacitors and resistors nearby, don't want to heat them up.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 17, 2020 11:59 pm 

De-soldering point to point is a royal pain. Some I can pock a hole through with a dental pick, but the front area on some radios is just to crowded. That’s where the pigtail trick comes in handy. I don’t restore the volume that others do, so I restuff caps also. It drags out the restoration process and I’m having fun. I restuff the E-Cans too. No one will probable see the insides, but just maybe years down the road, some kid will pull the chassis to see what’s inside and will see the work I did. I leave a card under the left side where there’s very little heat. I have noticed that the bees wax around the P/S area melts out. This is not the case with the original capacitors though. I’d love to know what they used back then.

Freeman

PostPosted: Jun Sat 20, 2020 12:42 am 

this makes my life so much easier

Attachments:
wirewrap.jpg
wirewrap.jpg [ 81.11 KiB | Viewed 1512 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sat 20, 2020 1:43 am 

Lou deGonzague wrote:
this makes my life so much easier
YEAH, that's what I do lots of times. I'm glad somebody else has likes my idea. Except I don't have one of those little tools. I just use whatever little bit of pigtail may be still remaining on the part I cut out. Desoldering tube socket lugs and connection point lugs is nice, when it's not a quagmire. But all that heat, tugging, scraping to get things loose just so i can do a "factory" job can cause WAY more harm or destruction. When I can't do like the picture, I might wind a little coil out of 22 gauge tinned buss wire, butt-join my new part to the remaining pigtail, slip my little coil over it, crimp it with needle nose pliers, and solder. What is that tool? Something home made?

PostPosted: Jun Sat 20, 2020 2:17 am 

i have used the coil onto the pigtail method on a few radios

PostPosted: Jun Mon 22, 2020 3:32 am 

henry finley wrote:
....... What is that tool? Something home made?

Do a search for "quiggle tool".

RRM

PostPosted: Jun Tue 30, 2020 12:32 pm 

Henry, I made the tool from an Exacto handle and a large safety pin. I had to drill a small hole for the short stub. You can use a piece of wood dowel too.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 07, 2020 1:05 am 

I got a bunch of copper 22-gauge telco wire from my brother-in-law. I stripe off 18” of wire and wrap it around a coat hanger wire. The newer coat hangers are smaller gauge and work well. Seven loops and then a big loop to hold it steady with my fingers. I can get 5 per strip. The side cutters like what Sal sells cuts them real close. Then into a pill bottle and I can grab one when needed.
Attachment:
Sleeve.JPG
Sleeve.JPG [ 100.47 KiB | Viewed 1019 times ]

Freeman

PostPosted: Jul Tue 07, 2020 4:37 pm 

A coat hanger wire is way too big in diameter. I use a straightened paperclip or similar.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 07, 2020 5:07 pm 

I have no issue with using quiggle tools and pigtails. And the wise tech will tread carefully around band switch lugs--don't want to snap them off under mechanical stress of the unsolder process. However I don't find it difficult to unsolder from most terminals and lugs. It greatly helps to have a good solder removal technique not just a solder melt technique. Braid is essential with non power vacuum devices. I often trust my re solder process more than the original factor solder joint.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 07, 2020 5:32 pm 

Hello guys,
well back in the day one company called them sprague kwikettes I still have about 20 of them in my stuff and here is a old thread on ARF https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43516

Also a place that says they have some in stock :lol: https://www.sierraic.com/KWIKETTE

And Here is Steve's site where you can see some https://www.stevenjohnson.com/soldering/solder.htm

Myself I use a jewelers screwdriver and some 22 gauge wire

Sincerely Rich

PostPosted: Jul Tue 07, 2020 6:21 pm 

cut the old component out, and the clean the wire with a dremel with the wire wheel, and make a loop in the new part and slide it onto the old wire making a mechanical bond

PostPosted: Jul Wed 08, 2020 2:22 am 

Thanks for the tips! Do you do something similar for crumbly jumper wire insulation?

PostPosted: Jul Thu 09, 2020 12:46 am 

I overlap the two wires so anything smaller then a coat hanger splice won’t work. As I said above that the new cloth hangers are smaller in gauge. Remember the old resister and cap leads are larger then what we buy now. Except for the new Electrolitics.

I never had any luck with the solder wick (braid) until I got a solder station where I could crank up the temp. It cleans the lugs and terminal well enough to use side cutters to snip pieces and the old part comes away easily. The solder suckers are great for PCB’s though.

Freeman

PostPosted: Jul Sat 18, 2020 8:14 pm 

I just use a spring hook with a tiny screwdriver. I hear what you are saying but l go lug to lug with the new part. Oh, yeah, scraping down to new metal is a must. '35 and '36 GE or RCA radios' tube connectors are just 3 tangs. Any which way works...... Craig

PostPosted: Jul Sun 19, 2020 12:47 pm 

I bought a pin vise on Amazon. I use different diameter sewing pins To wind a pigtail. There is enough of a gap between the jaws of the vice to hold the wire as you wind the pigtail. Works perfectly.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 01, 2020 12:18 pm 

Hello everyone!

I think I would like to desolder all joints and start fresh. At least this is what I have done so far in removing transformers and such from my chassis. Is there a camp that believes in doing this? Just trying to cross my T's before I start the project.

I only want what is best for my Hallicrafters SX 42.

Thank you,

PostPosted: Aug Sat 01, 2020 2:50 pm 

I have a goodly supply of original Kwickettes that I have accumulated and use them from time to time. I have made a tool for creating them from an Exacto knife handle but that is for the day I finally exhaust my supply. They are particularly handy in those really tight spaces where you are required to use a couple needle-nose pliers to install components. The job at hand will direct me to either strip a terminal, use “J” hooks or Kwickettes, whichever seems best. My supply came from old shop cleanouts and some from members here on ARF and I have never had a repair failure due to use of a Kwickette.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 01, 2020 4:14 pm 

Here's a link to my method of making quig tools, based on Al Klase's design.
viewtopic.php?p=2542982

I don't make separate quigs like the Sprague Kwikettes, I just bend a quig on the end of the component lead.
https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... 8#p2192628

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page 1, 2  Next