Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: For the Noob: Wiring Errors and Pitfalls to Avoid
PostPosted: Jul Sun 19, 2020 6:18 am 

Larry, your post is good except this part : THREE: OUTSIDE FOIL CONNECTION REVERSAL. This little ditty has been promoted by "Mr. Carlson's Lab" on Youtube and its completely absurd exaggeration. I have been servicing and selling parts (nearly half a million capacitors now) for over 40 years and never, ever, have I found a situation in a home entertainment device where this was a concern. It could be in critical audio devices for maybe recording studios but not in any home radio, television or audio gear unless it was assembled badly with a signal capacitors installed right next to a transformer or such. I would call that a bad design situation, but this nonsense he has put out that you need to CHECK ALL YOUR CAPS for "outside foil " and mark them is insane.
Just my 2c, otherwise, carry on !

http://www.oldradioparts.net

PostPosted: Jul Sun 19, 2020 7:04 am 

oldradioparts wrote:
Larry, your post is good

I don't believe that he is of this Earth anymore. He hasn't posted here in 7 years.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 19, 2020 7:23 am 

I have another tip: Make sure your soldering doesn't melt the insulation off wires! Or a hot resistor or capacitor lead melt into one! I had that happen. Took me a week to find out the trouble.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 19, 2020 7:35 pm 

i had and used a handful of these types of things on the bench during every restoration.

it is amazing how they absorb the heat and keep the component cool under normal soldering applications.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... gLivfD_BwE

be sure to use the clips that have a "flat" mouth (not teeth) for much better heat conduction.

steve

PostPosted: Aug Sun 02, 2020 4:10 pm 

Thank you for this thread. I learned a lot from it. I especially like the alligator heat-sink clips!

PostPosted: Aug Fri 14, 2020 7:27 pm 

Larry passed away in December, 2013. He would be pleased to know that his thread is still going strong.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 2:01 pm 

Here is another good hint, worth repeating; always make a sketch of the wiring, before replacing components, especially those with multiple connections. This will save much confusion and circuit tracing, and reduce the possibility of a wiring error. Don't trust your memory!

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 10:22 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:
Here is another good hint, worth repeating; always make a sketch of the wiring, before replacing components, especially those with multiple connections. This will save much confusion and circuit tracing, and reduce the possibility of a wiring error. Don't trust your memory!

Actually much easier to simply take one or several pictures. The sketch however is a good idea if a picture doesn't reveal wiring hidden under other wires or components.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 10:41 pm 

To touch on a point that Tim just made. A 1951 Magnavox TV that was my first restoration in 2014. Worked fine and just started acting up. Been on the bench for over a week now and I have it nailed down to the Horz area. I think. I decided to unsolder and test all parts and cleanup my pathetic soldering job. A lot of wires and parts going here and there. I build this as I am going along. It takes a while, but I have resoldered a wire to the wrong pin before and it took me hours to find.
Attachment:
Horz.jpg
Horz.jpg [ 432.16 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]

+1 on sketch and photo’s.

Freeman

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 4:19 am 

Tim Tress wrote:

So true. I've seen transistor radios that are the same model change polarity or how they're mounted on the pcb. One model had a radial cap mounted vertically, while another same model mounted it horizontally. It is extremely easy to forget polarity orientation.