Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 29, 2022 1:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Toner Transfer Discoveries
PostPosted: Sep Fri 16, 2022 1:47 am 

1. I bought some cheap Chinese made PCB toner transfer sheets from Amazon, and was about to send them back because they weren't taking the toner thick enough to provide good solid traces. Then I found out that my laser printer has different settings for density. I changed it from the default general use setting to the graphics setting and now the toner transfer paper works great.

This discovery leads me to believe that I could have done just as well with the slick newspaper insert paper or the transparency sheets that I had been using previously.

2. YouTube showed me a technique to get more reliable coverage when using an iron for toner transfer. You put a 1/2 inch dowel rod underneath the PCB board that you're ironing onto so the dowel rolls underneath the board while ironing. This puts more pressure at the contact points and reduces spots that a flat iron application will miss. The board deforms enough to present the iron with a very specific surface

3. All this time I assumed my iron woud be evenly heated after 20 minutes. It's not: 350 degrees at the top section near the point, 300 degrees 2 inches below that, and 250 degrees 2 inches below that and all the way down. Good to know when the toner transfer paper specifies 300-350 degrees.

Post subject: Re: Toner Transfer Discoveries
PostPosted: Sep Sat 17, 2022 3:06 am 

I wonder if this technique could be used for front panel labels and graphics?

Who's that swimming in the punch bowl?
It's Walter Wart, the freaky frog!

Post subject: Re: Toner Transfer Discoveries
PostPosted: Sep Sat 17, 2022 2:27 pm 

Jim Mueller wrote:
I wonder if this technique could be used for front panel labels and graphics?

Yes.

I've used transfer foils to produce the shiniest bright silver and gold metallic surfaces. It irons onto printed toner. The brand was CopyFX, which I can't find anymore. I just bought some new stuff off Amazon . I'll try it soon. The trick with this stuff is to design sparingly so it doesn't look like something found in a bordello.