Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 26, 2022 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Steel Wool for desoldering.
PostPosted: Nov Thu 24, 2022 1:18 pm 

Desoldering Braid
Two questions :
1) I have seen the comment that adding flux paste to the desoldering braid just prior to use, helps in the desoldering process.
Have you tried this method ?

2) I see that a couple brands of Desoldering Braid come in a Clean version or Non - Clean Up Version.
What does this Clean - Non Clean Up notation version mean ?

PostPosted: Nov Thu 24, 2022 4:52 pm 

cferry1 wrote:
Desoldering Braid
Two questions :
1) I have seen the comment that adding flux paste to the desoldering braid just prior to use, helps in the desoldering process.
Have you tried this method ?

2) I see that a couple brands of Desoldering Braid come in a Clean version or Non - Clean Up Version.
What does this Clean - Non Clean Up notation version mean ?

Re: 1). In a process I was taught in the USN mil-spec soldering course, rosin liquid soldering flux can be thinned with 99% isopropyl alcohol or ethyl alcohol. ( the 100% variety with the tax stamp on it works better than denatured ethanol ). It doesn't take much alcohol BTW.

When the thinned flux is added to the braid just prior to the time of desoldering, you not only get considerably improved solder extraction, also the rapid evaporation of the heated alcohol removes heat away from the board, very effectively helping to protect a printed circuit board.

This is a method that minimizes heat damage that can cause printed traces to separate from the board, and also helps prevent measling and delamination of fiberglass boards, and carbonization of fiberglass and phenolic boards.

Finally, wetting action is improved in the process so a clean fresh tinning layer of the soldered area remains, making for good soldering results where traces and component leads are resoldered in the freshly tinned areas.

I can't see why thinning rosin based paste flux with alcohol wouldn't work for this, I would experiment with it to find out how your particular flux reacts.

New component leads, wire ends, and all things to be soldered need to be thoroughly cleaned to a bright and shiny condition and tinned with fresh solder prior to be soldered into your workpiece(s). Prevents a lot of PITA moments when soldering and improves reliability of the joints.

A solid mechanical connection prior to soldering is another key to success here. All things soldered together need to be heated at the same time, solder flowing on the parts at the same time. Try your best to avoid heating the joint(s) for more than three seconds once the solder flows freely.

Too small the wattage of an iron is a no-no. More heat for a shorter duration is the ticket. Again, exceeding three seconds once the solder flows will begin to make the tin and lead alloy of the solder start to separate, causing a real mess.
This is what has been referred to as "cold joints" but are actually overheated joints. I'm not sure if making a "cold joint" is possible anyway. Sort of an oxymoron.

Re: 2). "No cleanup" solder and soldering fluxes use a type of flux that leaves a flux residue not harmful to circuit boards.
So they say.

I hope this will be of some help.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 25, 2022 11:01 pm 

I dip the wick in flux. No globs. I found the heat transfer is much faster on old dull solder joints. You don't need the flux again if more solder removal is needed.
I have NTE No-Clean Wick. I have no idea what it means. It just works for me.

Freeman

PostPosted: Nov Sat 26, 2022 12:27 am 

I don't get using solder wick for point to point wiring. Vacuuming is so much better. Solder wick is expensive and there are a number of good solder suckers out there.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 26, 2022 12:41 pm 

Flux on most any kind of braid works well. Steel wool can cause big problems.

RRM