Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 18, 2019 9:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Slipping Dial Cord Fix
PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2012 2:22 am 

The dial cord on my radio was slipping around the shaft. It would only go one direction (to the right), but it wouldn't turn back. I tried everything from chalk dust to candle wax. Nothing was working. I took a Q-tip and soaked it in isopropyl alcohol and gently touched it to the spots where the red arrows are pointing in my drawing. Then I turned the tuning knob to the right and some very fine strands of the cotton got sucked up around the shaft. Then I had enough grip for it to turn to the left. I kept feeding the cotton in thin light increments into the coil around the shaft. Before I knew it, it was built up around it a little bit and there was no more slippage! Not only did it fix the slippage, but it added tension to the dial cord (it was a bit sloppy, but not why it was slipping).

Anyway, that's my little trick. Not positive how long it will last, but the cotton is wound very nicely and tight around the shaft. So there you go, quick fix!

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2012-03-03 at 8.14.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-03-03 at 8.14.39 PM.png [ 9.58 KiB | Viewed 8744 times ]

Post subject: Re: Slipping Dial Cord Fix
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2012 10:05 am 

I recently acquired a Zenith H845 that couldn't run the pointer past 106.5 FM, or so. I ran across an old post on this board from someone who described an almost identical symptom and they said a squirt of contact cleaner solved it. And, by golly, it did on mine too, with just a quirt or two from the front, knob off, on the tuning shaft.

Apparently a 'squeaky clean' shaft works better than a dirty one.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2012 10:30 am 

I doubt if that fix will last long. It's best to do the job right the first time, and not worry about it.

Post subject: Re: Slipping Dial Cord Temporary Fix
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2012 1:48 pm 

It worked for a bit, you're right. Temporary fix if you need to tune pronto. I accidentally got WD40 on the shaft where the cord is and now I can't keep it from slipping. Any tips?

Post subject: Re: Slipping Dial Cord Temporary Fix
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2012 6:04 pm 

radiopicker wrote:
It worked for a bit, you're right. Temporary fix if you need to tune pronto. I accidentally got WD40 on the shaft where the cord is and now I can't keep it from slipping. Any tips?

WD-40 is really insidious stuff.... Might need to use a degreaser to remove it completely. Try some Flux-Remover spray?

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2012 10:35 pm 

If the dial cord has a spring on it, remove the spring from where it is attached, loop another turn around the shaft, then reconnect the spring.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2012 1:18 am 

Dial cord popped off :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It makes a complete loop, with crimped clamps on it. I'm avoiding cutting it. We got it back on after 4 hours of trying, but the string is crossing one another on the pulley wheel, causing unecessary chafe and tension. Lots of slack now in the string, will probably have to take it off and put another two wraps around the shaft.

Question, there's yellow dust on the pulley wheel, don't tell me that's cadmium? Or something lethal?

Thanks Johnnysan.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2012 2:36 am 

radiopicker wrote:
....Question, there's yellow dust on the pulley wheel, don't tell me that's cadmium? Or something lethal? ...Thanks Johnnysan.

Probably the remnants of liquid rosin applied years ago to prevent slippage

If in doubt, don't go licking it :)

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2012 10:41 pm 

Quote:
If in doubt, don't go licking it

I'll add that to my quote book, very good advice, actually :lol:

Fixed it. 5+ hours later, the hook on the spring THROUGH my thumb, some bandaids, and some arguing with my dad, I got it done. :lol:

I added 2-3 extra wraps around the shaft. Didn't hack the original loop. Taught and no slipping, as of right now. I'm happy.

But the q-tip cotton is a good quick temporary fix. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 15, 2012 11:25 am 

Use the wax from the capacitors you replace, You can heat one rub on dial string or before you install a new cord, Pull new cord across the old Paper cap.
The wax works great !!
Peter

PostPosted: Apr Sun 15, 2012 10:35 pm 

Quote:
Use the wax from the capacitors you replace, You can heat one rub on dial string or before you install a new cord, Pull new cord across the old Paper cap.
The wax works great !!
Peter

:D Great idea! Thank you.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2012 4:37 pm 

All great ideas, but for what it's worth, got some violin bow rosin at a music store and ran the dial string over it.

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2012 7:42 pm 

Agree with all, anything that works is fine. If you really wwanted to fix it, you would disassemble it all, lube, clean and rough up the place where the cord of the control moves the string. Very fine sandpaper would be fine. Then replace the cord, make sure the spring maintains constant pressure on the winding, and all other turrets are well lubricated. BTW unwaxed dental floss really works OK, as does braided nylon fishing tacke cord. Leave the rosin for the bows.

PostPosted: May Thu 10, 2012 8:04 pm 

"Roughed up"... Oh, I've had success with that on a couple of radios.

Sometimes, it's just so well used that the knob shaft is just smooth as glass in the area where the dial cord runs.

I've taken a small file and filed - lightly - diagonally on the shaft at that point in order to put some sort of even, crosshatch pattern on it.

Mike Y
Dallas, Texas

codefox wrote:
Agree with all, anything that works is fine. If you really wwanted to fix it, you would disassemble it all, lube, clean and rough up the place where the cord of the control moves the string. Very fine sandpaper would be fine. Then replace the cord, make sure the spring maintains constant pressure on the winding, and all other turrets are well lubricated. BTW unwaxed dental floss really works OK, as does braided nylon fishing tacke cord. Leave the rosin for the bows.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 03, 2019 2:42 am 

I was thinking about 1 turn around the shaft of cloth nurse's tape.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 03, 2019 3:40 pm 

Brilliant minds follow the same avenue. I did that a few years ago and it's still working today.

Freeman

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 3:57 am 

I just scored 5 or 6 lines in the shaft or pulley with a razor knife. No more slippage.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 18, 2019 7:05 am 

Radiopicker-
With WD40 on the shaft, you will need to completely clean ALL surfaces the dial cord touches, including any idler pulleys. I'd suggest denatured alcohol.
Replace the dial cord. It's not useable now.

I used to find this, more often than I wanted to, in radios where something squeaked, and the owner would spray WD40 or 3 in 1 oil into the set. A cleaning nightmare.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 22, 2019 4:14 am 

About the cloth nurse's tape; 3 turns of the tape over a worn and smooth brass shaft gave the dial cord some good traction. Not sure how long it will last, but its behaving now.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 23, 2019 6:22 am 

Freeman wrote:
Brilliant minds follow the same avenue. I did that a few years ago and it's still working today.

Freeman

I thought it was "Brilliant minds run in similar circles ..." or something like that.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page 1, 2  Next