Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 13, 2019 11:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Slipping Dial Cord Fix
PostPosted: Mar Sat 23, 2019 2:13 pm 

On the East Coast it's (Same Avenue).
On the West Coast it's (Similar Circles).
:roll:

Freeman

PostPosted: Mar Sat 23, 2019 2:43 pm 

Been a problem for decades.
This was in dad's stash. Walsco brand dial cord friction stick. It actually helps on 'barely slipping' situations. Simply capacitor wax probably.

Attachments:
rsz_007 (1).jpg
rsz_007 (1).jpg [ 137.84 KiB | Viewed 592 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Tue 26, 2019 9:43 pm 

I recently refurbished a cheap circa 1967 s/s clock-radio, a SONY 8FC-45W. I had to put in a new dial cord, but it kept slipping whatever I did (extra turns on shaft, tightened spring, cleaning shaft.) Finally, I put a short length of heat shrink over the grooved shaft... perfect grip. Cord does not "ride-up" (an initial concern, but I may have removed one wrap turn... can't remember.) Anyway, it stays in the spindle groove. I guess the word kluge applies!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Apr Thu 18, 2019 11:00 pm 

I keep a little block of bees' wax in the fridge. That seems to put a grip on things.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 3:35 pm 

When I got into restoring antique radios earlier this year, I thought it would be a nice stress-free hobby. That was before I had to replace a broken dial cord yesterday. I didn't know it could lead to hair loss and other maladies. The first problem was the dial cord diagram on the SAMS schematics for my model didn't match my model. It couldn't possibly work the way it was drawn. Of course, it took a while to figure that out.

Once I had it strung properly, it worked but slipped a little in one direction. I tried some of the posted solutions, but they didn't completely resolve things. In fact, a couple of them made things worse. I think what works on one radio might not work so well on another. It depends on how the manufacturer has the pulleys aligned. In my case, an extra wrap around the tuning shaft caused the cord to ride over top the other windings but only in one direction. The top pulley just isn't aligned straight enough to the tuning shaft. So, back to 3 turns as noted in the SAMS.

Then I tried taking the glaze off the tuning shaft with 220 paper. That also caused the windings to overlap, because then they didn't slide inward on the shaft. I rebuffed the shaft with 600 paper and at least then the cord didn't overlap.

After several hours of handling the new cord, I thought I might have gotten it contaminated with natural oil from my fingers. So, I washed my hands, cut a new cord and started over. But this time I also cleaned all the pulleys with denatured alcohol. I also cleaned places on the chassis where the cord might pick up oil/dirt while trying to install it. Another thing I did this time was making sure the tension on both strings going to the spring was exactly the same.

Viola! Now it works perfectly. No capacitor wax, no rosin, completely dry. I'm hoping it won't be this difficult the next time I have to fix a dial cord.

One thing I'm wondering about - is it possible some of the new dial cord material just doesn't have as much "grip" as the older cord? I do notice a difference with a magnifying glass. The old cord has a finer weave and is a little stiffer than the new cord. The new cord is softer and more flexible, but I didn't notice any stretchiness to it.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 4:33 pm 

I have found that the capacitor wax melted and run across the dial string does work for me.

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE ,,FOOLS SELDOM DIFFER.
Dan in Calgary

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page Previous  1, 2