Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 26, 2020 1:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing Loctal Tubes
PostPosted: Jul Fri 27, 2012 4:52 am 

I am crediting this to Curt Reed (may he RIP) for this great tip! Amazing how many people don't know this! I just enlightened my best tube supplier and he's pretty sharp! I'm sure that this has been covered before, but it never hurts to bring it up again.
When removing a Loctal tube from it's socket, look for the bump at the base of the tube. Then go 180 degrees AROUND the metal tube-this is where you start rocking. In effect, you're pushing force is directed at the bump on the other side of the base. DO NOT grab the glass envelope-just the base! GENTLY rock back and forth while GENTLY lifting and the tube will quickly and easily come out (most of the time). You'll never go back to your old methods once you discover the correct way to remove Loctal tubes. Thanx again Curt!:)-Gearhead222

Post subject: Re: Removing Loctal Tubes
PostPosted: Jul Fri 27, 2012 9:54 pm 

gearhead222 wrote:
I am crediting this to Curt Reed (may he RIP) for this great tip! Amazing how many people don't know this! I just enlightened my best tube supplier and he's pretty sharp! I'm sure that this has been covered before, but it never hurts to bring it up again.
When removing a Loctal tube from it's socket, look for the bump at the base of the tube. Then go 180 degrees AROUND the metal tube-this is where you start rocking. In effect, you're pushing force is directed at the bump on the other side of the base. DO NOT grab the glass envelope-just the base! GENTLY rock back and forth while GENTLY lifting and the tube will quickly and easily come out (most of the time). You'll never go back to your old methods once you discover the correct way to remove Loctal tubes. Thanx again Curt!:)-Gearhead222

What!, the miniature crowbar I have been using is wrong?!?!? :wink:

Thanks for the reminder!

PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2012 6:11 pm 

Epilog, and with all due respect:

Rock towards the pip.

Loctals have a nasty habit of oxidizing and mating with sockets, and usually can be solved by spraying with Deoxit from underneath and waiting an hour or so. Once freed, scaping of pins with an old currette (ask you dentist or hygienist for an old one,) and reaming of sockets with more cleaner and appropriate size pins or drills, whatever can often remedy the situation. A drop of WD40 on the center retention spring is also in order.

If you bust a socket, most of us have a stash from wrecks and will contribute one. Don't chance gluing one back together, expecially a rectifier or output stage! Don't ask.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 07, 2012 6:05 pm 

small screw driver helps too rocking toward the screw driver blade under the base