Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Tue 25, 2020 6:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Belt Change for Zenith 6S27
PostPosted: Jul Sat 11, 2015 2:12 am 

If you want to do a belt change a little more sophisticated than the "cut and paste" method, here's how:

This is a big project, so allow at least an hour. You will need to get a new belt (Adams #116) and if the dial is cracked or warped, now is a good time to change it (RadioDaze). If the variable cap grommets have turned hard or gooey, then should also be changed at this time (Renovated Radios). Snap ring pliers will be very helpful. You should also get replacement light diffusers if yours are burnt. You can make them out of a used milk jug.

STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS

1. Place radio chassis on bench tubes up, facing you, Gently pull off dial pointers by grasping the hub with small pliers . (they are friction fit)

2. Remove and discard old belt and idler pulley if present. There is an anti-backlash spring between the upper pulley and the drive gear. Do not remove this.

3. Remove, clean and test lights with ohmmeter

4. Remove old dial. Easiest way is to grab the plastic pins gently with small diagonal cutters (don't cut them) and pry out.

5. Remove light shields. Remove 2 screws at bottom of pan, and the bolt at the top. Remove the dial pan.

6. Remove the 3 bolts under the chassis holding the variable cap. If grommets will be replaced, remove them now.

7. Remove 2 bolts from the front of the variable cap and remove the U shaped bracket holding the tuning shaft.

8. Position the tuning shaft bracket in front of you and remove the BACK snap ring. Pull shaft forward as far as it will go.

9. Gently flex the back of the tuning shaft bracket backward just enough to pass the new belt over the back end of the shaft. Return the bracket to its previous 90 degree angle. Push the shaft back where it was.

10. Replace the snap ring on the back of the shaft. Make sure the shaft spins freely.

11. Replace all tuner grommets, thinner side up, if you are changing them

12. Replace tuning shaft bracket and bolt it to the front of the variable cap. You may have to adjust the bolts to get the height of the tuning shaft bracket to line up with the holes in the dial pan later.

13. Replace the 3 bolts in the tuner grommets, Tighten them down all the way. They will stop at the proper place. It is easier to put on the bolts if you use a longer 8-32 bolt to tighten and compress the other 2 grommets while you are putting the remaining bolt back in.

14. Pull the new drive belt over the upper pulley and check that it turns freely when the tuning shaft is rotated.

15. Replace the dial pan and diffusers. Replace any burnt diffusers. Replace the lights in their holes.

16. Replace the dial and the plastic pins

17. Replace the 2 dial hands. With the variable cap all the way to one side of rotation, place the pointer hands horizontal.

Last edited by jameswross on Jul Wed 15, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Belt Change for Zenith 6S27
PostPosted: Jul Mon 13, 2015 3:49 am 

Faster way: Buy the Adams belt and cut it at a 45 degree angle. Install around both shafts and bond with fresh super glue. Haven't had a failure yet.

http://www.dalesantiqueradio.com/

PostPosted: Aug Sat 15, 2015 8:10 am 

radiodale1 wrote:
Faster way: Buy the Adams belt and cut it at a 45 degree angle. Install around both shafts and bond with fresh super glue. Haven't had a failure yet.

Even easier: buy several feet of the non-oiled rubber o-ring round belt I have and keep it in stock for any radio that used a fabric belt. Its cheap, glues up quick with super glue and never breaks. just cut to snug minus 3/8" or so, then loop around the pulley you dont want to mess with. Glue it up (sets in 30 secs) and slip over the easy pulley. DONE. You blunt cut this belt material so no tricky 45 degree cuts needed. It has just the right stretch (little) so no creep during tuning. I'll have it at my booth at Kutztown PA Sept 18-19.

Mark Oppat
http://www.oldradioparts.net

PostPosted: Oct Sat 03, 2015 3:20 pm 

I've used this type of spring on my 6S27 and my 6V27 with tremendous success. It gets put together with just a little twist and best of all, there's no memory kink as with rubber belts. It can be clipped off to any length needed. Surprisingly little slippage:

PostPosted: Oct Thu 08, 2015 6:19 pm 

That's what is called a "garter spring," used on shaft seals. I sometimes get a lot of them in my lab at work. The two ends screw into each other good and tight. I'll have to start hoarding them.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 08, 2015 8:53 pm 

Fredro wrote:
I've used this type of spring on my 6S27 and my 6V27 with tremendous success. It gets put together with just a little twist and best of all, there's no memory kink as with rubber belts. It can be clipped off to any length needed. Surprisingly little slippage:

The belts I use are not really rubber, some poly material, not oiled like most O ring stuff, I forget what but the stuff works great and its cheap. No reason to search for ANY other belting material... honest, I searched thru a bunch of them and found this stuff is perfect. I have used it on dozens of radios. No memory to it... no creep, no slip if properly sized, EASY to install and CHEAP.
Mark Oppat
www.oldradioparts.net

PostPosted: Oct Fri 09, 2015 3:19 pm 

Well, the best thing I have found about using the steel spring coil is that you don't have to take the radio apart to install it and if you use a stainless steel spring, it will never rust or degrade like the original belts or most rubber or plastics. Also, like I said, no memory effect like with rubber or plastic o-rings.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 09, 2015 7:58 pm 

Fredro and Mark,
Can you suggest a good source for these springs?

PostPosted: Oct Sat 10, 2015 7:25 am 

I just found out that this is called a "garter" spring. When I needed one, I just found an old oil seal at work that was never going to be used and took the spring out of it. I searched on ebay for garter springs and there is a lot of cheap oil seals that can be had for a dollar or two.

The size of the spring I used had the thickness of about the size of a mouse or keyboard cord. I'd also say you need a spring about the same circumference as the old belt. It can be clipped off for correct sizing since you would be expanding the spring for a good snug fit.

I just gave the dial on my 6S27 a spin after not touching it for a couple of years and it still turns the dial very well smoothly and it stays where it's put when I release the knob.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 10, 2015 3:26 pm 

Fredro,
Thanks for your response. Yes, I have seen these "garter springs" inside rubber oil seals in automobiles, especially wheel bearing seals. I did not know what they were called. And of course I always just threw the old ones away!

Where did that photo you posted earlier come from? Maybe it would be a possible source?

Another question: When you twist and lock the cut ends of the spring together, do they stay attached as the spring travels through dial rotation, or is it best to touch the joint with a spot of super glue, solder, or some other adhesive?

PostPosted: Oct Sat 10, 2015 4:52 pm 

I just pulled the image off of google images. Not sure who that maker is.

The spring stays together on it's own. Just give the opposing ends an opposite twist and the spring will kind of screw itself together. Since it still tends to try to screw or rotate in, it will stay together with no further effort needed.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 03, 2016 6:35 am 

I finally got around to replacing the belt with a spring on one of the Zeniths I am working on. Here's how it looks:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/10590441_10205508168005671_4932534794978933544_n.jpg?oh=e57d4482018fd81d7b52a8276dd73978&oe=56FB29C7

PostPosted: Jan Sat 16, 2016 3:52 pm 

Has anyone found a good source for garter springs? Would like to use one on my Zenith 7-S-363.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 22, 2016 7:28 pm 

I got a hold of some garter springs that are quite thin. The coil diameter is about 1 mm. When I get around to it I'll see if I can gang them up and replace dial strings.