Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 9:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CCrane DUAL Coil Ferrite Antenna
PostPosted: Jan Sat 09, 2016 10:45 pm 

I am considering buying the CCrane Dual Coil Ferrite antenna because I would like to improve the broadcast band reception on my Zenith 9S-367. Has anyone tried this on a similar radio and, if so, what are the results? Is noise reduced and reception level increased? Keep in mind that this radio, like its peers, doesn't have an internal antenna and uses a simple long wire antenna.

Attachments:
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg [ 7.74 KiB | Viewed 3107 times ]

Post subject: Re: CCrane DUAL Coil Ferrite Antenna
PostPosted: Jan Sun 10, 2016 8:55 am 

I think you will do better by using 25 or more feet of outdoor antenna. This radio should have very good reception. Has this radio been restored?

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Sun 10, 2016 9:19 am 

If you can return the CCrane device if it doesn't work to your expectations, you might go for it.

I have a Zenith 6S254 which likewise requires a length of antenna wire. I have it connected to a random length long wire outside, about 240 feet.

I've been able to increase the reception ability two ways;

I built a tuned antenna coupler, basically a tapped coil with a variable capacitor, connected in series. I can post the article if you'd like.

I also use my 23" loop, with a pickup coil consisting of two turns of wire around it, going to the antenna terminal of the radio. The outdoor antenna is connected to the loops variable cap. This is good for a limited frequency range, as the loop's tuner has to be adjusted for the desired frequency.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 10, 2016 1:44 pm 

I do have it connected to a 30 ft. long wire and the reception is pretty good. I have completely restored this radio.But I am curious to see if the Crane antenna would improve the noise and reception level. I am hoping someone has tried it on any vintage tube radio. If the improvement is only nominal then it won't be worth the expense.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 11, 2016 12:23 am 

Copiertech wrote:
I do have it connected to a 30 ft. long wire and the reception is pretty good. I have completely restored this radio.But I am curious to see if the Crane antenna would improve the noise and reception level. I am hoping someone has tried it on any vintage tube radio. If the improvement is only nominal then it won't be worth the expense.

You would almost have to try it yourself. Anyone else's location, receiver, and expectations would most likely be different from what you need to experience to determine it's usefulness.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 11, 2016 9:11 pm 

Hi Copier,
Did the copier repair back in the '80s for Savin corp.
It might be helpful to try to eliminate as much noise as you can. I found around here that a lot modern electronics generate huge amounts of RF noise. Any switching power supplies to power computers, phone chargers, and plasma tv's rank high on the list, I'm sure there are many others.
I would suspect that by adding a rf amplified antenna it would end up just amplifying the noise along with the desired signal. With a loop you maybe be able to null out some of the noise. But these days we live in a rather unfriendly RF environment short of living way away from civilization.
Bear in mind that a resonant antenna for the the BC band is about 500mtrs long. In the big scheme of things 30ft isn't much.

Terry

PostPosted: Jan Mon 11, 2016 11:01 pm 

Yes, that's just the thing I was hoping to correct. A long wire is inherently noisier. The ability to null is the main attraction of a loop. As an experiment today, I took the wavemagnet antenna from a Zenith H500 and connected it to the 9S-367 and used it in conjunction with a passive loop antenna ( the Tecsun AN-200). The result was very encouraging. The reception on the broadcast band improved remarkably with less noise than I hear at night. In my area all BC stations are DX and I was able to hear , in the daytime, several stations that I can't get during Mid-day. The wavemagnet was not effective by itself but allowed the Tecsun antenna to do its thing. This experiment suggests to me that an active antenna might even be better. It would be nice to hear from someone who has one and has tried it on a vintage tube radio.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 12, 2016 3:14 am 

A good earth ground may give you some relief with a long wire ant.

Terry

PostPosted: Jan Fri 22, 2016 11:24 pm 

Well I bought the Crane antenna, received it today and tested it during the daytime and early evening. So far, I am impressed by it's ability to amplify weak stations and it's low noise. I have tried it on my good receivers ( Sony 2010, Grundig Sat 750, Sangean ATS 803A) plus a Xenith 9S-367. Because it is active it produces a stronger signal than the loop I have (Tecsun AN-200). I still like the Tecsun. It has it's uses, but the CCrane is a terrific addition for Dx'ing. I hope anyone who who has doubts or is looking for an antenna at a reasonable price sees this thread

PostPosted: Nov Sun 11, 2018 11:23 pm 

hi
The beauty of the C.Crane Twin Coil AM Antenna is that is Remote Tuning Stick on a Rotator to the outdoors, away from the building's RFI I have two for Sale one with a 25' cable and one with a 50' Cable

I have two mounted in a very unique on my Balcony
A TV Antenna Rotator with direction indicator PVC pipe as the Mast with Antenna unit taped to the Mast At the top of the mast a low-cost Chinese TV Antenna/Rotator.
The 2nd Twin Coil Antenna Unit taped piggyback on the top of the antenna.
The TV antenna goes to a Scanner and or the Air Band on my Sony ICF 2010
I get the antennas rotating independently
thanx
73 de jordan ve7jjd