Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Aug Sat 24, 2019 12:07 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re-stuff wax capacitors the easy way...
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2016 3:51 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Sun 01, 2015 9:37 pm
Posts: 433
Location: Laflin, PA
I thought I would try my hand at re-stuffing old paper capacitors today. I have not bothered in any of my projects so far. I have a coffee can full of old ones. Our old toaster oven isn't working very well anymore so we replaced it. I figured I would try heating them in the toaster oven for 5 minutes on a lower setting. I lined the tray with aluminum foil and put a dozen on the sheet. Within 2 minutes the wax melted and ran out allowing me to use a long nose pliers and a old rag to remove the insides. They came out perfectly clean. I tried re-stuffing a few sealing the ends with hot glue. Since it is a nice day here in the east I did this outside on the patio and I changed the aluminum a few times to reduce smoking. Next worthwhile project I will try doing a recap with stuffed capacitors.

_________________
Bob
73's WA3TVH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re-stuff wax capacitors the easy way...
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2016 6:03 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 4502
Location: Charleston, W.Va.
Hi Bob,
The old toaster oven is a good suggestion; I also use one when I have quite a few paper caps to restuff. When working on a single set only, and replacing caps one-at-a-time, I generally just use a hot-air gun mounted in a clamp on the workbench, with the cap held in front of it with pliers until it melts.

In years past I always used beeswax to seal the ends, then dipped the entire cap in wax as per the originals. But now I very seldom do this; I seal the ends with hot glue and do not dip the caps in wax. Although not entirely original, it leaves the paper shells nice and clean and does not obscure their graphics. Also, they will not collect dust and dirt as the originals did.

_________________
Poston


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re-stuff wax capacitors the easy way...
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2016 6:51 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Sun 01, 2015 9:37 pm
Posts: 433
Location: Laflin, PA
Poston Drake wrote:
Hi Bob,
The old toaster oven is a good suggestion; I also use one when I have quite a few paper caps to restuff. When working on a single set only, and replacing caps one-at-a-time, I generally just use a hot-air gun mounted in a clamp on the workbench, with the cap held in front of it with pliers until it melts.

In years past I always used beeswax to seal the ends, then dipped the entire cap in wax as per the originals. But now I very seldom do this; I seal the ends with hot glue and do not dip the caps in wax. Although not entirely original, it leaves the paper shells nice and clean and does not obscure their graphics. Also, they will not collect dust and dirt as the originals did.


[b]I never cared for the dirty look of the wax caps and I guess I had never seen one new to start with. Some of them are quite nice looking. I think you can get the hot way glue sticks in colors so the ends are more of a wax shade. All I had around was the clear sticks but they look pretty decent. /b]

_________________
Bob
73's WA3TVH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re-stuff wax capacitors the easy way...
PostPosted: Feb Sat 20, 2016 11:35 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 4502
Location: Charleston, W.Va.
Bob,
Just like you, I have also heard that hot melt glue sticks are available in colors, but I have never been able to find them at any local art/craft stores. Nevertheless, the standard clear hot glue sticks seem to do a good job for me. But if anyone knows of a source for tan-colored ones I would like to learn of it.

I agree with you, some of the old paper cap shells are in beautiful colors with interesting graphics. My favorites are the Zenith-branded paper caps, always in a bright red-orange color with the Zenith lightning-bolt logo printed on them. But there are also some other good ones, such as the Solar paper caps in light blue, post-war Crosley-branded paper caps bearing the Crosley logo, and of course the standard tan-colored paper caps bearing the Philco logo and Philco part number, plus many, many others. Too numerous to name them all.

_________________
Poston


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re-stuff wax capacitors the easy way...
PostPosted: Feb Sun 21, 2016 12:52 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Sun 01, 2015 9:37 pm
Posts: 433
Location: Laflin, PA
Poston Drake wrote:
Bob,
Just like you, I have also heard that hot melt glue sticks are available in colors, but I have never been able to find them at any local art/craft stores. Nevertheless, the standard clear hot glue sticks seem to do a good job for me. But if anyone knows of a source for tan-colored ones I would like to learn of it.

I agree with you, some of the old paper cap shells are in beautiful colors with interesting graphics. My favorites are the Zenith-branded paper caps, always in a bright red-orange color with the Zenith lightning-bolt logo printed on them. But there are also some other good ones, such as the Solar paper caps in light blue, post-war Crosley-branded paper caps bearing the Crosley logo, and of course the standard tan-colored paper caps bearing the Philco logo and Philco part number, plus many, many others. Too numerous to name them all.


The 1941 Crosley 02CA restored did not have any Crosley branded caps in it. I cleaned all my caps from several projects and was hoping to find at least one to put back in the radio, they were all pretty generic. I got the impression that Crosley was having a parts shortage at that time based on some of the parts I was finding. I will look around for colored hot glue, maybe I am dreaming but I think the local Walmart sold it. I know Harbor Freight did not have it I looked yesterday.

_________________
Bob
73's WA3TVH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re-stuff wax capacitors the easy way...
PostPosted: Feb Sun 21, 2016 7:48 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 4502
Location: Charleston, W.Va.
Bob,
I am certainly not a Crosley expert, but of the Crosley radios I have worked on which contained Crosley-branded paper caps, all have been post-war sets, most made after Powell Crosley had sold the company. When we see these paper caps branded for the radio in which they are installed (Crosley, Zenith, Philco, Motorola, etc.) we must realize that in most, if not all, cases they were manufactured on special order by one of the several major USA capacitor manufacturers and simply branded for the company which designed, assembled, marketed and sold the radio. Much the same as with vacuum tubes.

If you find a source for brown-colored hot glue sticks, please let us know. I have heard that these are available, but have never been able to find them locally.

EDIT: Although not strictly original, there is something to be said for re-sealing ends of restuffed paper caps with clear hot glue and not dipping them in beeswax afterward. This not only gives a very neat appearance, but should also make it obvious to a future service man that these paper cap shells have been re-stuffed with modern film caps.

_________________
Poston


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re-stuff wax capacitors the easy way...
PostPosted: Feb Mon 22, 2016 11:00 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Sun 01, 2015 9:37 pm
Posts: 433
Location: Laflin, PA
Poston Drake wrote:
Bob,
I am certainly not a Crosley expert, but of the Crosley radios I have worked on which contained Crosley-branded paper caps, all have been post-war sets, most made after Powell Crosley had sold the company. When we see these paper caps branded for the radio in which they are installed (Crosley, Zenith, Philco, Motorola, etc.) we must realize that in most, if not all, cases they were manufactured on special order by one of the several major USA capacitor manufacturers and simply branded for the company which designed, assembled, marketed and sold the radio. Much the same as with vacuum tubes.

If you find a source for brown-colored hot glue sticks, please let us know. I have heard that these are available, but have never been able to find them locally.

EDIT: Although not strictly original, there is something to be said for re-sealing ends of restuffed paper caps with clear hot glue and not dipping them in beeswax afterward. This not only gives a very neat appearance, but should also make it obvious to a future service man that these paper cap shells have been re-stuffed with modern film caps.


I see colored glue sticks on Amazon but they are EXPENSIVE and not great colors available. If I find anything better I will update the post. The Croskey 02ca is definitely pre-war which explains why no marking on the caps.

_________________
Bob
73's WA3TVH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re-stuff wax capacitors the easy way...
PostPosted: Feb Mon 22, 2016 7:04 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 1067
Location: Coopersburg, PA USA
I've used acrylic brown paint over the clear hot glue at the ends of the cap to achieve a more original color.

_________________
Stan Saeger
Coopersburg, PA
http://www.saegerradio.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re-stuff wax capacitors the easy way...
PostPosted: Feb Mon 29, 2016 1:11 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 9009
Location: Beaver Falls, PA. USA
I use a heat gun to melt the wax, until the old cap can be pulled out of the cardboard tube. The new cap is wound with masking tape until it is a snug fit in the tube. I fill the ends with hot glue almost full, and then melt some of the original wax into the glue while it is still molten. The restuffed caps look pretty good; I do not recoat them with wax.

_________________
Tim KA3JRT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re-stuff wax capacitors the easy way...
PostPosted: Feb Mon 29, 2016 10:54 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Sun 01, 2015 9:37 pm
Posts: 433
Location: Laflin, PA
Tim Tress wrote:
I use a heat gun to melt the wax, until the old cap can be pulled out of the cardboard tube. The new cap is wound with masking tape until it is a snug fit in the tube. I fill the ends with hot glue almost full, and then melt some of the original wax into the glue while it is still molten. The restuffed caps look pretty good; I do not recoat them with wax.


That is an interesting way of sealing the ends.

_________________
Bob
73's WA3TVH


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 10 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  




























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB