Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 24, 2019 12:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: waterbed heater interference.
PostPosted: Mar Sun 06, 2016 10:25 pm 

Every single heater we had for years causes static on AM.
Only solution is to turn the thermostat to cycle it off.
Are there any noise free waterbed thermostats?
Way it is now: It makes interference when it is heating, goes away when they turn off.

Post subject: Re: waterbed heater interference.
PostPosted: Mar Sun 06, 2016 10:53 pm 

Hi Federated_P,
I can't offer an easy solution, so maybe I should not even make a post. But I can't resist saying this:
Of all the causes of AM radio interference I have experienced or heard of in my time, this is the first time I have ever heard of interference from a waterbed heater! :lol:

Seriously though, you mention you have had the problem with different heaters over the years. Has it been with the same AM radio (presumably in your bedroom), or does it also appear with different AM radio(s) placed in the same location? Does the static appear throughout the house, or just in the bedroom?

PostPosted: Mar Sat 19, 2016 2:52 am 

You did not specify how many years this has been going on.

Newer, and by that I mean at least the past 15 years or so that I have personally experienced, electric blankets and other heater controls that have caused me interference have used switch mode power supplies with their electronic thermostats. Poorly designed switch mode supplies are known for causing RFI. It is not legal for them to do so, but the FCC cannot check everything out. The term is unintentional radiator.

Also, older dimmer switches were known for this issue as well. Unfortunately, there is not always an easy solution. Perhaps try re-orienting your receiver to try and diminish the interference or perhaps use an antenna that is remotely located; say in another room or outdoors.

And as Poston mentioned, is this with only one radio or with all radios? If just one, it could simply be an issue with that unit, but if all exhibit this situation then there is definitely an RFI issue.

Tony
KC7ZWH

PostPosted: May Fri 13, 2016 1:55 pm 

Sorry, late reply.
All stations on all radios (AM broadcast band), doesn't go up to interfere with shortwave.
30 years of waterbed heaters, they all do it.
They only interfere if the red light on the thermostat is on. When the heater cycles off the interference stops. So I just go turn the thermostat up or down a few degrees when it comes on when I'm listening to make the heater turn off.

We have florescent lamps on aquariums in the house too: these never interfere on AM at all.

I wish some brand of heater would not constantly send out hash when running, haven't found one that doesn't yet.

PostPosted: May Thu 26, 2016 2:19 am 

With a heater such as that you have a long wire ac radiating element. The only effective ways of shielding it would also interfere with it's ability to heat the bed. It looks like the power switch is it's solution while you're listening.

PostPosted: May Thu 26, 2016 2:41 am 

Makes me wonder, in an odd way, if anyone makes a liquid bed with more viscous liquids like mineral oil or some other inert substance that has similar properties but doesn't slosh around? Maybe even very thick like mayo or Vaseline or hand lotion or grease. Something self leveling but slow moving. Jello?
I don't know why I care... just curious.
I never slept on a waterbed, don't fully know why it's popular either.

When I think water-bed ... for some reason, it always conjures up psychedelic images of lava-lamps and Jesus-looking-hippies smoking pot in tie-dye tee shirts.
lol

PostPosted: May Sat 28, 2016 2:11 am 

35 years sleeping on a waterbed, and I can say hard water feels the same as soft water. :lol:

Haw about a non-newtonian fluid like cornstarch/water?