Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 19, 2019 6:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: "Candohm" or "Muter" resistors
PostPosted: May Sun 01, 2016 5:56 pm 

I posted this on another topic in the Discussions section and thought it appropriate for this section.

remember that Candohms are wirewound resistors wrapped in "cambric" paper , then wrapped by the metal casing and riveted to the chassis wall to help dissipate heat. Cambric is a hard paper that has some kind of varnish on it.
You can see the cambric paper sticking out the center seam usually. WHat happens is bad capacitors (or just age) causes the resistor to burn thru the paper. It then shorts to the metal, or burns out, or both. So, worth changing them usually. I like to use "1lug" terminal strips I solder the foot end to the old lug then move the wires over to the isolated lug and install new resistors.
There are other versions of these type resistors that seem to have some kind of hard rubber that encapsulates the resistor.

So, its possible for an old Candohm (also called "Muter" resistors due to the name of the maker) to still have correct continuity, but be shorted to the case internally. Not good.
Mark Oppat