Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 20, 2019 4:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Electric Paint saved my speaker
PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2016 3:48 pm 

I have a SW receiver that went up in smoke. After repair and recap I brought it up on my dim bulb tester . Very quiet, B+ checked out ok and signal tracer took me to the speaker. Speaker is open and the copper wires were green. I found the brake just 1/8 inch from where it makes the coil. After trying many times to solder it with no luck I had a brain cramp. With nothing to lose I had a couple tubes of "Electric Paint" I got when Radio Shack went out of business. A small drop on the break and I checked it with an ohm meter, About 20 ohms. After dry resistance went down more. End of story, it worked! and radio is playing fine now. FWIW, Carl

Post subject: Re: Electric Paint saved my speaker
PostPosted: Jun Mon 06, 2016 5:12 pm 

I had the same problem where the wire was green and corroded through. It was for a transistor radio.
Instead of your solution (which I will have to store in my rememberer) I did a little surgery, by using some very fine solder wick. As it was the wire that is usually the tinsel wire between the speaker lug and the cemented wire leading to the speaker coil.

Ps that silver conductive paint is also workable on rear window heater elements too that are broken.