Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 19, 2019 12:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Asbestos substitute
PostPosted: Mar Wed 20, 2019 5:00 pm 

Just an FYI in case anyone cares for their own health, the ceramic fiber insulation is anything but safe and healthy. I’m not sure why asbestos gets regulated like crazy, but this stuff does not. Perhaps Stephen has some insight?

PostPosted: Mar Wed 20, 2019 7:19 pm 

Asbestos is dangerous due to the tiny fiber size, and resistance to chemical breakdown. I have not heard of ceramic products breaking down into such tiny fibers. EPA had some interest in regulating all kinds of new things, something quite unlikely.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 20, 2019 9:45 pm 

I bought one of those shiny car windshield sunshades years ago. It's like a type of foil that encapsulates some sort of foam and about a 1/4'' thick. I've been cutting it into pieces to replace the asbestos pads in radios. I figure if it can resist and insulate against the full force of the summer sun, it will do a pretty good job insulating the heat of a few vacuum tubes. After about a dozen pads cut out of it, there's still enough material for many more pads.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 21, 2019 1:50 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Asbestos is dangerous due to the tiny fiber size, and resistance to chemical breakdown. I have not heard of ceramic products breaking down into such tiny fibers. EPA had some interest in regulating all kinds of new things, something quite unlikely.

https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sy ... fibres.pdf

The whole point/usefulness of refractory ceramic fibers is that they are chemically inert. Many types can and do break down into very small biopersistent fibers. I’m not much into conspiracy theories, but if all such substances were banned with no equivalent product available, a lot of our heavy industry would shut down or become unprofitable. I used the stuff in ceramics kilns for years, but I was informed of safety measures that one should take when handling the stuff. You know as well as I do that not all asbestos is as terrible as crocodilite, it shouldn’t be a surprise that not all man made refractory fibers are safe either.

Not trying to get into a senseless argument here, but most asbestos used in the US was not much more harmful than this stuff if at all, and this stuff isn’t particularly safe to breathe. Just wanted to make sure people had access to the idea that they might question the safety of these materials and inform themselves about safe usage. I also use lead solder, but I don’t recommend it for people who like to eat without washing their hands.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page Previous  1, 2