Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 21, 2019 4:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fix Hole In Speaker
PostPosted: Jul Tue 24, 2018 7:33 pm 

I dropped a socket wrench and made a 1½" gash in my 12" Magnavox speaker but I didn't panic. I took the speaker out to where I could handle it then rounded up wood glue and a napkin. I cut two pieces of the napkin to just over the size of the gash and applied glue to the area surrounding the gash and then added the pieces of napkin to each side and touched-up with glue over them and then rubbed a finger on each side of the speaker at the same time to make it smooth and let them dry. Worked OK so far.

Last edited by cook#yum on Jul Sat 28, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fix Hole In Speaker
PostPosted: Jul Fri 27, 2018 1:03 am 

Paper coffee filters, dryer sheets and even a good ol' dollar bill ←75% cotton and 25% linen also work.

In cases where you remove the speaker for servicing, cut a piece of cardboard and attach it to the face with masking tape. Store on a shelf out of harms way.

Greg.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 27, 2018 1:15 am 

I've used coffee filters on audio gear speaker, with much success. A bit tougher than a napkin.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 27, 2018 2:45 am 

rdnzl wrote:
I've used coffee filters on audio gear speaker, with much success. A bit tougher than a napkin.

I agree with you. I have reusable filters. A tee shirt would be too thick.

cook#yum

PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2018 1:37 am 

I use cheesecloth and rubber cement,seems to work good for me.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 11:28 pm 

tea bags and super glue

PostPosted: Aug Thu 16, 2018 2:39 pm 

egg wrote:
... even a good ol' dollar bill ←75% cotton and 25% linen also work.g.

I'd suggest using Canadian dollars or pesos. They're cheaper.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 16, 2018 2:54 pm 

Ask 100 people and get......

First, don't add paper unless there is no other choice.....you do not want to add mass or local stiffness. For a tear, stitch it back together using very small amounts of glue. Use something fast-drying---things like Duco cement or fabric glue are good choices.

For a tear, first manipulate the pieces into position as best you can. Then start st the beginning of tear, and accurately position a short section...i.e. ~1/2" or so. Glue this with just a few small drops and wait for it to dry....then repeat the process.

If you do need to add paper, use the smallest possible overlap...i.e. ~ 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

Super-glue: NO. Superglue bonds in response to pressure which forces most of the glue into contact with the local water. You would have to firmly press two pieces together without simultaneously gluing your tools or your fingers.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 19, 2018 5:10 am 

pixellany wrote:
Ask 100 people and get......

First, don't add paper unless there is no other choice.....you do not want to add mass or local stiffness. For a tear, stitch it back together using very small amounts of glue. Use something fast-drying---things like Duco cement or fabric glue are good choices.

For a tear, first manipulate the pieces into position as best you can. Then start st the beginning of tear, and accurately position a short section...i.e. ~1/2" or so. Glue this with just a few small drops and wait for it to dry....then repeat the process.

If you do need to add paper, use the smallest possible overlap...i.e. ~ 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

Super-glue: NO. Superglue bonds in response to pressure which forces most of the glue into contact with the local water. You would have to firmly press two pieces together without simultaneously gluing your tools or your fingers.

I thought you should use clear acrylic nail polish for tiny tears

PostPosted: Aug Sun 19, 2018 1:51 pm 

I would have said "could" and not "should"....

I have limited experience with nail polish...when I did try it for something, it dried too slowly. For speaker repair, you need something that dries quickly so you can progressively stitch a tear.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 19, 2018 4:36 pm 

I just used nail polish to seal off a dual wire that was no longer being used but still live (only 12v) and then I can use black electrical tape or a wire nut to finish.

cook#yum

PostPosted: Aug Tue 21, 2018 3:58 am 

pixellany wrote:
I would have said "could" and not "should"....

I have limited experience with nail polish...when I did try it for something, it dried too slowly. For speaker repair, you need something that dries quickly so you can progressively stitch a tear.

Nothing dries slowly in Phoenix Arizona!!!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 05, 2018 9:19 pm 

This silicone material is good to repair speakers. it is fluid enough to permeate the patch material and make a thin light coat.

https://www.permatex.com/products/adhes ... ss-sealer/

PostPosted: Sep Thu 06, 2018 1:49 pm 

I just finished a repair where there was a long (2") hole in a speaker utilizing a used dryer antistatic sheet and nail polish. Lay a base of nail polish, then place a piece of dryer sheet, cut to conform to the hole, and soak in nail polish on the speaker. I keep working the dryer sheet tight (with a light touch) to the speaker until the nail polish sets. Allow the polish to completely dry and you're all set. The used sheet is thin and tough and I've not had nail polish fail in years of using it on many speakers. For rips you bring the edges together and apply polish. Again, monitor it to prevent separation until the polish sets. A fresh dryer sheet is too thick and probably would not work satisfactorily where a used one is thin, tough and easily manipulated.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 08, 2018 2:12 am 

For cracks and small tears I just grab my bottle of GC Service Cement and glue the edges back together. But white glue or wood glue works for me OK too. I try to use the least material to repair speakers but for something like a speaker in a typical AA5 radio, I would be hard pressed to say it impacts the low fi. sound of a small speaker on an AM radio. I suppose it might if you really globbed it up or botched it badly. An old CD or DVD can make a good quick cover taped over a 4 or 5 inch speaker. And a hole in the middle lets sound out a bit too, and is not too much of a risk factor. Heck, for long term storage maybe wrap cardboard all the way around a loose speaker to protect the sides as well as the front.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2018 8:23 pm 

Kestas wrote:
egg wrote:
... even a good ol' dollar bill ←75% cotton and 25% linen also work.g.

I'd suggest using Canadian dollars or pesos. They're cheaper.

They're not cheap, they were taken out of circulation back in 1989, I saved many in pristine condition.

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/yes-your-o ... worth-7000

PostPosted: Jan Fri 25, 2019 7:52 am 

For holes or even making new cones (yes I have, search "Mark Pictures" on ARF) I often use Manilla Business Envelope paper. CHEAP and sturdy paper, just always be sure to get adhesive all over where you are bonding it.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jan Fri 25, 2019 8:19 am 

oldradioparts wrote:
For holes or even making new cones (yes I have, search "Mark Pictures" on ARF) I often use Manilla Business Envelope paper. CHEAP and sturdy paper, just always be sure to get adhesive all over where you are bonding it.
Mark Oppat

One thing I wanted to say is that an adhesive should be flexible and not get too hard and stiff. Otherwise you might have a dead spot in the speaker and reduce the sound.

cook#yum

PostPosted: Jan Fri 25, 2019 11:59 am 

cook#yum wrote:
oldradioparts wrote:
Mark Oppat

One thing I wanted to say is that an adhesive should be flexible and not get too hard and stiff. Otherwise you might have a dead spot in the speaker and reduce the sound.

cook#yum

No, the cone part is supposed to act as a homogeneous piston. A perfect cone has no flex except at the outer edge, so for that area, yes, should be flexible. BUT, even GC Service Cement has enough flexibility if just one coat or so is used.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jan Fri 25, 2019 5:02 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
cook#yum wrote:
oldradioparts wrote:
Mark Oppat

cook#yum

No, the cone part is supposed to act as a homogeneous piston. A perfect cone has no flex except at the outer edge, so for that area, yes, should be flexible. BUT, even GC Service Cement has enough flexibility if just one coat or so is used.
Mark Oppat

You're probably right. I was overthinking. I did it right after all. :-)

cook#yum

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page 1, 2  Next