Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 1:41 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Sep Thu 13, 2018 12:22 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 1113
Location: Wayside, NJ Monmouth
Needed to mount up some chaise BNC connectors. Always had a problem holding them while tightening the mounting nuts. So I made this up. Took an old Craftsman 3/8" nut driver( head was cracked) ground it down so it would fit into the end of a BNC ( most of us have cable connectors laying about cable connector missing there pins) connector. I used a small gas torch and Silver solder to weld it up. Now mounting the connectors is a breeze.


Attachments:
BNC-Wrench02.jpg
BNC-Wrench02.jpg [ 78.18 KiB | Viewed 2876 times ]
BNC-Wrench01.jpg
BNC-Wrench01.jpg [ 52.41 KiB | Viewed 2876 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Sep Thu 13, 2018 1:36 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar Wed 11, 2015 1:46 am
Posts: 1240
Location: Boiling Springs, PA
Clever! Next time someone asks to borrow a nut driver hand them that and watch the reaction.

_________________
Jeff-W3JKO

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Sep Thu 13, 2018 2:53 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 5342
Location: Montvale NJ, 07645
Nice job !!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Sep Fri 14, 2018 8:45 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Sun 02, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 1981
Location: Roanoke, VA
That is clever. Now I just need to find something I can use as a handle as my nutdriver sets cannot be sacrificed. I do have a bunch of my Dad's old screwdrivers and I'm sure that one will suffice.

_________________
Dale H. Cook, Antique Radios / Test Equipment (GR/HP/Tek)
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 7:23 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Wed 01, 2013 10:05 pm
Posts: 1990
Location: Rayleigh, BC, CANADA
That's the way to do it.

I made this one back in the early 80's

Was helping a buddy with cable tv installations one summer so I just copied his tool.

it's just an F coupler glued to a 7/16 driver. Only the threaded end sticks out.

Great for pushing the connectors into the cable.


Attachments:
F Connector Tool.JPG
F Connector Tool.JPG [ 42.08 KiB | Viewed 2693 times ]

_________________
Rocco
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 7:31 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 12937
Location: Omak,wa,usa
Hello Rocco53,
I guess great minds think alike I did the same thing years ago when was doing a coax work with my repairshop
what great idea far the bnc connector


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 8:43 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Wed 01, 2013 10:05 pm
Posts: 1990
Location: Rayleigh, BC, CANADA
radiorich wrote:
Hello Rocco53,
I guess great minds think alike I did the same thing years ago when was doing a coax work with my repairshop
what great idea far the bnc connector

Our job was actually out in the field locating underground breaks in cables. (subcontract for cable co.)

We had a machine similar to the one in the photo that shows how far down the line the cable is broken.

It was amazingly accurate, sure saved a lot of time digging in the wrong place.


Attachments:
digital_underground_cable_fault_locator.jpg
digital_underground_cable_fault_locator.jpg [ 10.98 KiB | Viewed 2685 times ]

_________________
Rocco
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2018 1:42 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Sun 02, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 1981
Location: Roanoke, VA
Rocco53 wrote:
radiorich wrote:
We had a machine similar to the one in the photo that shows how far down the line the cable is broken.

That is a metallic time domain reflectometer. I use a fairly early one, a Tektronix 1503 (as Scotty said in ST:TNG "Relics" - "No bloody A, B, C or D").

_________________
Dale H. Cook, Antique Radios / Test Equipment (GR/HP/Tek)
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2018 2:45 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Wed 01, 2013 10:05 pm
Posts: 1990
Location: Rayleigh, BC, CANADA
Dale H. Cook wrote:
Rocco53 wrote:
radiorich wrote:
We had a machine similar to the one in the photo that shows how far down the line the cable is broken.

That is a metallic time domain reflectometer. I use a fairly early one, a Tektronix 1503 (as Scotty said in ST:TNG "Relics" - "No bloody A, B, C or D").

Thank you Dale, I couldn't remember exactly what it was called.

_________________
Rocco


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Sep Tue 18, 2018 12:53 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Sun 02, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 1981
Location: Roanoke, VA
Rocco, its counterpart is the optical time domain reflectometer used for testing optical fiber.

_________________
Dale H. Cook, Antique Radios / Test Equipment (GR/HP/Tek)
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Sep Tue 18, 2018 3:06 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Wed 01, 2013 10:05 pm
Posts: 1990
Location: Rayleigh, BC, CANADA
Dale H. Cook wrote:
Rocco, its counterpart is the optical time domain reflectometer used for testing optical fiber.

interesting, Tektronix has a line of these as well.

I know the principals of fiber optic but I worked in the field long before it became widely used.

I imagine these pieces of equipment are quite expensive.


Attachments:
Tektronix TFP2A .jpg
Tektronix TFP2A .jpg [ 29.18 KiB | Viewed 2619 times ]

_________________
Rocco
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 12:09 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct Thu 18, 2007 11:34 am
Posts: 4072
Location: Port Orchard, Wa 98366
If you look around on the internet you can find out that you can use a function generator and an Oscope for RF cable.

_________________
Visit our Webpage:
http://antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com/
*I was smokinradios Long time ago* ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Jan Wed 02, 2019 6:14 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 24, 2013 4:55 am
Posts: 1316
Location: South New Jersey 08077
I use my Tek probe calibrator output to drive the cable and watch the reflection on the scope; mostly use it on cables in the shop, not long outside cable.

_________________
Ex: Same job, same building, same phone #; 4 Corp's: RCA, GE, Martin, Lockheed-Martin: 48+yrs '14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Jan Wed 02, 2019 6:41 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Sun 02, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 1981
Location: Roanoke, VA
Radiosmoker wrote:
If you look around on the internet you can find out that you can use a function generator and an Oscope for RF cable.

The results of that are, for my professional purposes, not as satisfactory as a Tek TDR which can be set for velocity factor and accurately show where the problem is. Tower crews are expensive, and radio station loss of revenue is expensive, and it is my responsibility to minimize both. When trying to locate a problem in hundreds of feet of coaxial cable, some of which costs tens of dollars per foot, running up a tower, one needs quality instrumentation. Replacing a cable run that can cost thousands of dollars is something to be avoided if possible. The function generator/'scope method is fine for hobby use, but the ARF membership also includes many who must use lab grade instrumentation to make a living. YMMV.

Dale H. Cook, Radio Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Jan Wed 02, 2019 7:17 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct Thu 18, 2007 11:34 am
Posts: 4072
Location: Port Orchard, Wa 98366
Dale H. Cook wrote:
Radiosmoker wrote:
If you look around on the internet you can find out that you can use a function generator and an Oscope for RF cable.

The results of that are, for my professional purposes, not as satisfactory as a Tek TDR which can be set for velocity factor and accurately show where the problem is. Tower crews are expensive, and radio station loss of revenue is expensive, and it is my responsibility to minimize both. When trying to locate a problem in hundreds of feet of coaxial cable, some of which costs tens of dollars per foot, running up a tower, one needs quality instrumentation. Replacing a cable run that can cost thousands of dollars is something to be avoided if possible. The function generator/'scope method is fine for hobby use, but the ARF membership also includes many who must use lab grade instrumentation to make a living. YMMV.

Dale H. Cook, Radio Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html


I understand your conundrum, But since I am retired I have no problems using my method (Fixed Retirement income).
There are a couple of other methods, one is using a resistance bridge, it was used before cable companies and optical fiber.
Telephone companies used it for very long runs, ( I believe there were a couple methods, called Varley Loop and Murray Loop
Of course Our Shop depended on Tektronix's TDRs heavily.
However when Power was lacking we used Leeds and Northrup test Instruments in the field. Image

_________________
Visit our Webpage:
http://antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com/
*I was smokinradios Long time ago* ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Jan Wed 02, 2019 7:35 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Sun 02, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 1981
Location: Roanoke, VA
Radiosmoker wrote:
However when Power was lacking we used Leeds and Northrup test Instruments in the field.

Fortunately that is not a problem that I normally face, as nobody is doing much of anything at a radio transmitter site if there is no power, with the possible exception of me working on getting power restored. :-)

Dale H. Cook, Radio Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Jan Wed 02, 2019 8:06 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct Thu 18, 2007 11:34 am
Posts: 4072
Location: Port Orchard, Wa 98366
A couple of cheaper methods for us that don't have Business write-offs:

MFJ-269C Testing coax cable faults and length
will also show Db loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnRYYfgVToE

And using a digital meter with a capacitance function

https://www.circuitspecialists.com/blog/using-a-digital-multimeter-to-locate-a-buried-cable-fault/

_________________
Visit our Webpage:
http://antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com/
*I was smokinradios Long time ago* ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Jan Wed 02, 2019 8:11 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Sun 02, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 1981
Location: Roanoke, VA
Radiosmoker wrote:
And using a digital meter with a capacitance function

I do that at times as I keep a list of capacitance measurements for some transmission systems in my care. It is an excellent and simple check if one knows what the meter should read. If it does not read correctly it is time to break out the TDR.

Dale H. Cook, Radio Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Jan Wed 02, 2019 10:29 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 1113
Location: Wayside, NJ Monmouth
OK I have a question. How did my posting about making a wrench to hold and tighten BNC connectors turn into a discussion about checking coax cables. Not an issue really, just wondering.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Jan Wed 02, 2019 10:58 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 24, 2013 4:55 am
Posts: 1316
Location: South New Jersey 08077
N2LXM wrote:
OK I have a question. How did my posting about making a wrench to hold and tighten BNC connectors turn into a discussion about checking coax cables. Not an issue really, just wondering.

Right about 14 posts back, there was a very smooth transition. Sorry, i also contributed to the hijack. I do not believe there is an editing function to split off the interlopeing new topic as its own new thread.
But you are able to edit the topic title to add on something like "and cable fault locator TDR measurement" if you wanted too.
Beautiful job you did making your BNC wrench, by the way.

_________________
Ex: Same job, same building, same phone #; 4 Corp's: RCA, GE, Martin, Lockheed-Martin: 48+yrs '14


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 30 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  


























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB