Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 17, 2019 9:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: BNC Wrench
PostPosted: Jan Wed 02, 2019 11:38 pm 

Good Evening Willitwork, Not a problem. Just noted that there are some postings that go on for pages and pages. Do find the information that was posted a very good read. OH well, on to the New Year.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 03, 2019 5:49 pm 

It usually happens because people aren't myopic. It's about sharing insights and this was related to the main topic of tools for RF connectors, which has a relationship to RF cable repair which uses RF connectors, and it's related to RF cable indirectly, then comes other aspects of troubleshooting. I have never seen a subject when having a group of say Hams,go out for lunch together, focus solely on one topic, even jokes get interjected. How bad or good the coffee is, how good or bad the food is, all accommodated and no one standing up and saying " were only interested in one topic here"

Oops I am now off topic. See how I slid from one topic to another because someone brought up a side issue! I had fun doing it too. It usually gets back to being on topic sooner or later. Now would the topic of different types of BNC connectors related? Or the reason to use a tool that's a pair of pliers for installation use, rather than build one? They all are on topic as far as helping others to understanding about what's discussed on this forum.

As long as it's within the guidelines set up by the Member Rules, then Friendships continue and further insights are encouraged. Time for me to get off this bandwagon. Happy New Year :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Jan Thu 03, 2019 6:37 pm 

Back to the OP BNC Wrench for a moment. I did wonder if the BNC you used to make the wrench was brass? I think steel is available, but not common. The brass seems a little soft to me whenever i have put any torque on a BNC. Are steel (or stainless steel, SS) BNCs too expensive, or too hard to find?

PostPosted: Jan Thu 03, 2019 8:03 pm 

I'm wondering if you could just take an existing nut driver and just file or hacksaw a couple slots to fit the pins.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 03, 2019 10:47 pm 

I pull my wrench out of the tool drawer. The cable end I used is made of plated Brass, so it was easy to braise. As for taking a nut driver (spin tight to some of us) and cutting a slot to hold the connector. It may work, but you really need to support the connector properly in order to tighten it correctly. Check your junk box, got to have a old BNC cable laying around.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 04, 2019 1:58 am 

When I worked at Scientific Radio Systems, I used a 7/16" nutdriver with slots ground in the end for tightening BNCs. Doesn't need to withstand that much torque, as the BNC body grabs too. I'd make another if I did 'em frequently.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 27, 2019 2:04 am 

A special tool can be handy and easier to use but I usually just either hold the jack by hand or with a mating connector. If I were often mounting dozens of connectors I'd get want a tool of some sort.

RRM

PostPosted: Feb Fri 22, 2019 3:38 am 

Thanks N2LXM for the neat idea. Been thinking about it and the project I am working on now will have several BNC connectors. Today was in a thrift store and saw this lone nut driver for a quarter. Brought it home, drilled out the head, silver soldered and presto-chang-o...

It's going to be a tool I'll be glad to have for years.
Attachment:
BNC_Driver.JPG
BNC_Driver.JPG [ 34.75 KiB | Viewed 444 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Fri 22, 2019 12:17 pm 

Nice job. Not bad for a Quarter.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 13, 2019 1:26 pm 

Great idea, that BNC holder. I've been using a BNC connector and a pair of pliers for my entire career. I hesitate to build one of these tools, since I'm sure that once I did, I'd (A) never need it again or (B) never be able to find it when I did. :)

I too did cable antenna installations back in the day, for a while, and made my own F connector push on tool. It's lost to history now... haven't seen it for decades.

For those of you into TDR's, they are truly fascinating pieces of technology. Mine (For fiberoptic) can tell you where a fault is to a few inches in several miles of fiber.... including mapping all the splices along the route. I don't use it for that however .... I just bench repair TAC 4-6-12 field assemblies. (basically 12 fiber bundles surrounded by one protective jacket). They are used heavily in remote broadcast applications. I VERY seldom go fix something on site... the equipment is too expensive to be subjected to the dust in the air, particularly the fusion splicer.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread again :)

....... I now return you to the BNC discussion

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 30 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page Previous  1, 2