Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 16, 2019 7:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Loose or Broken Plate / Grid Connection
PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 7:00 pm 

Old news for sure, but it took me too long and too many clicks to find a solution. Others may have experienced the same thing, so I thought I'd post it. I don't know what they're called, but I'm speaking of the metal top or side caps used to make connection to the anode or grid.

I had a 6146 and an 811A where the top anode cap came loose from the tube. The wire coming out of the glass-to-metal seal was too short and the connection was weak or nonexistent. I removed the caps by desoldering. Thanks to Tom Bavis and K4CHE (http://k4che.com/811Repair/811REPAIRPage1.htm) for the following idea, I cleaned up the metal caps exposing the center holes and cleaned the plate wires gently.

Then, on the bench, I pushed the center of the metal cap down into itself; it deforms easily. Place the dimpled metal cap back on the tube and the short wire is no longer too short. Using your favorite adhesive, glue the cap back on and fill the dimple with solder.

73, Dean