Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 23, 2019 12:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Color Coding Paint
PostPosted: May Sat 11, 2019 5:42 pm 

For my pc board projects, I often have several jumper wires that plug into pins on the board. In order to make sure I plug the wires into the right socket (I use 2.54 "Arduino" style jumpers), I paint color dots on the plug and the corresponding pc board pins. I used to buy model airplane "dope," but it has gotten expensive. A cheaper alternative is nail polish from the "dollar" stores.

This polish is nearly identical to "dope" and smells like it is Toluene based. Wide variety of colors to match the old "RMA" color dot/band system.

Also useful for marking vintage parts to restore the old color code dots.

Rich

Post subject: Re: Color Coding Paint
PostPosted: May Sat 11, 2019 6:43 pm 

Just some of the many treasures to be found at the Dollar Store - a place where self-control needs to be strong!

“A bad book is the worst thief.”

PostPosted: May Sat 11, 2019 11:14 pm 

Probably Acetone based, as is nail polish remover. Toluene is considered a carcinogen, I believe. Since it was banned from model glue due to the huffers, Kind of doubt it would be found in many consumer products, except perhaps as a drying agent in rattle cans and things like that. But since most companies like to market nationwide, they tend to be California compliant anyway, even for sales outside that state. It's in some things, I'm sure....but doesn't seem likely.

-.-. --- .-.. -.. / ---.. ----- --...

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 12:08 am 

https://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/te ... /72180.pdf

"You smell that son? Only one thing smells like that. Toluene. I love the smell of Toluene in the morning..."

It is Toluene.

Rich

PostPosted: May Mon 13, 2019 10:27 am 

L.A. Colors Color Craze Aquatic Nail Polish with Hardeners. 0.44 Fluid Ounce

Ingredients: Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Phthalic Anhydride/Trimellitic Anhydride/Glycols Copolymer,
Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Citric Acid. May Contain (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891),
Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77499), FD&C Yellow 5 Aluminum Lake (CI 19140:1), D&C Yellow 10 Aluminum Lake (CI 47005:1),
FD&C Blue 1 Aluminum Lake (CI 42090:2), Ultramarines (CI 77007), D&C Red 6 (CI 15850), D&C Red 7 Calcium Lake (CI 15850:1),
D&C Red 34 Calcium Lake (CI 15880:1), Mica (CI 77019), Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Manganese Violet (CI 77742).

Greg.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/L-A-Colors-C ... z/36267596

PostPosted: May Tue 21, 2019 7:33 pm 

Rich, the smell of Toluene makes me want to vomit. It was issued in bottles for cleaning purposes at the airplane place I worked. It was more powerful than alcohol for removing residues from aircraft so I tried some but got nauseas. Mechanics were often seen pouring it onto the floors of the plane to dissolve adhesive residue etc. The planes would sometimes reek and I stayed out of those areas! Ill effects? Some of those guys, you would never be able to tell! Still it is a useful solvent if used sparingly and smart. As for marking stuff, I have some of those shake up paint markers that I use for touchup on radios, and those can make nice marks or spots too. But I think I only have black white red gold and silver. IF you reload, nail polish can also be useful for sealing primers and cases to make them oil and waterproof. Or at witness marks on adjustments on pots, etc. Two T's make me ill to think of, from experience. Toluene and Tequila.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 2:12 pm 

Rich, thank you. That is a great idea!

Some time ago I found a Testor's model airplane paint set at a yard sale and had been
using that but the paints have pretty much all dried up. And you're so right, they are
very expensive.

Ladies' nail polish is a great solution.

And to the critics who are wrapped-up around the axle about toluene---are you
as concerned about the obscene manifest of toxins in your food? I think I can
place a dot here and a dot there without breathing it in easier than swallowing
a platefull of MSG and chemicals ending in "-ites" and "-ates." Besides, there are
many nail polishes (Essie, Butter of London, Zoya to name three) that are non-toxic
and are often found for a dime at yard sales.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 30, 2019 12:39 am 

I use my blue fingernail polish :roll: to mark bias pots and the like to see if they have been tampered with.
Rege

Add on edit: put a small nut or screw or bb in the bottle, then you can shake the bottle to mix the paint.
I put a tiny nut in mine.