Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 7:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to solder ??
PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 7:53 pm 

pixellany wrote:
Kestas wrote:
I use a Weller 8200 gun and make my own tips from 10 gauge copper wire. The tips last for about 3 radio restorations until they need to be replaced.

I'm impressed by the practicality of this approach. Even though I'm done with solder guns, I do similar things every day---using material and widgets in ways the inventor would never have imagined

I refuse to be impressed until I read a claim by Kestas that he hammers the round wire into a square like the factory tips. :wink:

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 10:22 pm 

Consider yourself partly impressed. I hammer a flat where the bend is made for the tip.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 10:42 pm 

Kestas wrote:
Consider yourself partly impressed. I hammer a flat where the bend is made for the tip.

TOTALLY impressed. Really.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 14, 2020 1:00 pm 

Are there any hints as to what type of solder is typical for this line of work?

I have been using Kester 44 Rosin Core Solder 60/40 .031.

The .031 thickness really takes a lot to feed for larger areas and this translates to the unwanted longer heat times.

Thank you,

PostPosted: Aug Fri 14, 2020 1:14 pm 

I use 0.031 for everything....
On a PCB, it tends to be a bit large
In an early 1930s set that was originally assembled with a flamethrower, it takes just a few more seconds to match the ugly factory joints....;)

PostPosted: Aug Wed 19, 2020 12:02 am 

Thank you for this. It is good to know I use the same size solder.

I have been having trouble trying to constantly feed the thin solder for larger areas so I was wondering has anyone ever modded a mechanical pen to click and feed the solder while working?

Thank you,

PostPosted: Aug Wed 19, 2020 12:55 am 

Such things have been commercially available in the past but they never got popular. For me, it's just easier to hold the iron in one hand and the solder in the other and feed it as needed. I can advance the solder through my hand with the fingers of the same hand but it usually isn't necessary. What are you soldering that needs that much solder?

Who's that swimming in the punch bowl?
It's Walter Wart, the freaky frog!

PostPosted: Aug Wed 19, 2020 1:17 am 

I was trying to tin and solder both sides of a copper wire all at once that bridged together a set of tuner capacitors. I had to feed about 6" of solder and I am not happy with the results. My understanding is that a solder joint should be bright and shiny when complete.

I probably should have tinned the wire before I hooked up the capacitors and only did one side to start with and hooked on some heat sinks keep that side cool as I connected the other.

Attachments:
0808201730a_HDR~3.jpg
0808201730a_HDR~3.jpg [ 932.82 KiB | Viewed 2686 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Wed 19, 2020 1:26 am 

I believe that I will also have to figure out how to solder mesh wire to a metal divider bridging the other side of the tuner capacitor.

There's a lot of solder in this original photo

Attachments:
0808200949_HDR~4.jpg
0808200949_HDR~4.jpg [ 596.81 KiB | Viewed 2682 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Wed 19, 2020 2:34 pm 

One trick:
Once the joint is "established"---meaning that the solder has wetted all surfaces---you can pull the iron away slightly and feed in solder to the iron, creating a liquid blob. Then move the iron back to the joint and it will all flow together. (obviously?) this has to be done fairly quickly before the joint cools.

Note that the typical criteria for a good joint do not include a volume of solder. IOW, a large quantity of solder does NOT mean that you have a good joint.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 20, 2020 1:49 am 

With this last helpful tip, I now consider myself well-versed in the art of soldering and look to tackle all obstacles come what may.

Best regards,

PostPosted: Aug Sat 29, 2020 7:01 pm 

Successful soldering depends upon the use of the proper iron. My main soldering tool is a Weller WTCP; I use a 700 degree tip for PC boards and general work, but move up to 800 for the big terminals on older stuff. For chassis work, I bring out the Weller D-550 or 8200. By their nature, the soldering gun tips don't last very long. Plated tips, as used on pencil-style irons, hold up much better.

Remember that the iron must be capable of heating the joint enough to melt the solder; a bigger joint or chassis connection will draw too much heat from a small tip.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 30, 2020 2:48 am 

Great notes on heat settings!

I was wondering why others use those big guns. I am not one to turn on experienced advice. I just picked up the Weller D-550 as I know a few areas of my chassis work will be the better for it.

Thank you for the expert tips!

PostPosted: Aug Mon 31, 2020 1:05 am 

My soldering gun is a propane tank with a large soldering tip that slides over the nozzle. Wait for the tip to change color and it works good on chassis work. The company gave us these because a lot of areas we worked in had no 110V. I used it 2 weeks ago on a chassis that was pretty crowded. The large tip radiates a lot of heat and I had to replace 2 yellow caps that started to melt and burn. Time for a gun.
I’m assuming from what I’ve read above that a Weller 550 will work to solder a wire to the metal chassis. If I’m wrong, then please tell me. I hate buying a tool only to find it won’t do what I thought it would do.

Tks Freeman

PostPosted: Aug Mon 31, 2020 6:32 am 

Whether a D-550 will work depends on what you are doing (like in the middle of a chassis or near the edge, how thick the metal is, what is mounted nearby, etc). Like all tools, sometimes it is too much, other times it is too little. You will learn by experience what it's capabilities are.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 04, 2020 5:05 pm 

You will find that the D550 is too big for most work. However, it is nice for soldering ground connections to the chassis. The 8200 is more for general use, but I have found that a pencil iron is less tiring as well as being easier on tips.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 06, 2020 10:14 pm 

Kestas wrote:
I use a Weller 8200 gun and make my own tips from 10 gauge copper wire. The tips last for about 3 radio restorations until they need to be replaced.
I've done this a few times as I hate the price of those bent Weller tips, but now I've run out of 10 gauge wire! I tried 12 gauge wire as I have stacks of it (house wiring stock), but they don't last long. As we speak, my gun is loaded with one of my last expensive Weller tips with only a couple of spares in stock.
Cheers,
Roger
PS. As was said, you need to keep the nuts tight, also the copper clean of oxide under the nuts (I pull it out and scrape it), but don't strip the threads!

PostPosted: Nov Sat 07, 2020 6:29 am 

Quote:
but now I've run out of 10 gauge wire!

So go buy some. A few feet will make lots of tips at a much lower cost than Weller tips.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 07, 2020 6:47 pm 

Jim Mueller wrote:
Quote:
but now I've run out of 10 gauge wire!

So go buy some. A few feet will make lots of tips at a much lower cost than Weller tips.
You are quite right!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Jul Fri 30, 2021 4:02 am 

A little late to the party but... I think "technique" is the original posters need.
I saw that links to soldering procedures were included, but no one has mentioned to the OP that the joint needs to be heated and then solder applied. It takes some practice to get solder to flow. A gun requires practice to use effectively (think of Heathkits you've seen).
The "new" soldering stations are great, but soldering to a chassis is doable only if you understand the technique of heat and solder. Same is true using a gun. It's a process.
I've read some earlier posts from "the pros" who worked at HP and other hi-end production manufactures and you either knew how to solder properly or you didn't. There was only one type of proper connection.
A properly soldered project is a thing of beauty!
-marc