Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sun 31, 2020 12:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nordmende Isabella Rotating Graphite Antenna
PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 11:47 pm 

I have a junker Nordmende Isabella and have taken that rotating graphite antenna out to play around with. I was thinking of clamping it up high above the bench indoors and making a control on the bench to twiddle it. But, is it worth the effort? Will it improve AM reception enough to warrant the effort?
I also wonder if it is tuned specifically to augment the antenna circuit in the Isabella or if it can be applied to other radios?
That radio had the "UK" band which appears to be FM and a separate clutch to engage the UK tuning gang. I'm guessing this antenna isn't the FM dipole one would normally expect for FM reception.
Cheers,
John

Attachments:
IMG_20200405_140116007.jpg
IMG_20200405_140116007.jpg [ 636.9 KiB | Viewed 400 times ]

Post subject: Re: Nordmende Isabella Rotating Graphite Antenna
PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 5:01 am 

I suspect that this antenna was configured specifically for this set, and extending the leads that far will significantly alter the capacitance and inductance seen by the circuit, and may actually degrade performance compared to its current configuration. Why extend the antenna up to the ceiling (or is your bench located in a basement)? Still, if it's a junker set, why not try? You always could return it back to its original configuration. Except for that dial cord ... :shock: Wow, whoever came up with that stringing arrangement had a good imagination! Good luck to you if it breaks, or if you remove it and then want to restore it.
R/ John

PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 5:12 am 

I don't think it's Graphite, but rather a ferrite core, and should work with other radios. The spaced winding looks similar to what was used in some of the early American Transistor sets, such as Philco.

As pointed out above, you would want to keep it's leads as short as possible going to the tuner.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 11:10 pm 

Correct about the ferrite core - and thanks for the other obs on this item.

I went ahead and cleaned it up. Clipping the leads to the antenna and ground via a 12 inch wire to a 1204 Zenith chassis produced good results, low static and similar sensitivity to a single wire antenna coiled on the floor. My long wire on the roof has better reception on BC, I didn't try the ferrite on SW. I don't see an application for this at this time, parts is parts and into the bin it goes.