Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Wed 26, 2022 12:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mounting new capacitors securely in older gear
PostPosted: Jan Mon 10, 2022 4:58 pm 

Not sure why I never thought of this before. This is what held the old black beauty/bumblebee capacitors in my hp200ab. The replacements are small enough they don’t need the support, so I’ve got these extra.

A person could easily make a sleeve to fit a smaller electrolytic into one of these plastic holders for mounting either above or below the chassis when installing new ones in a piece of older gear. Plastic holders still readily available in home improvement and hardware stores. Use a stand-off as needed or just bolt direct to a handy spot on the chassis.

Add a drop or three of your favorite glue to keep it from sliding out or rotating if it’s not snuggling enough as is. I would think too much pressure on the outside shell would not be a good thing.

Attachment:
6E9E8146-BF89-4D6A-8AA8-4506AEF5228A.jpeg
6E9E8146-BF89-4D6A-8AA8-4506AEF5228A.jpeg [ 553.21 KiB | Viewed 245 times ]

Post subject: Re: Mounting new capacitors securely in older gear
PostPosted: Jan Mon 10, 2022 5:00 pm 

If you don’t want to drill holes in the chassis, there are usually plenty of screws holding down transformers and other parts. Either get a longer screw, or use a coupling nut that is deep enough to go on the stump of an existing screw, and still has room to accommodate the screw or threaded rod holding the new capacitor(s). Add leads and Chronik tube/Spaghetti as needed.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 10, 2022 5:21 pm 

I use one of the available screws to mount a tie-point strip to which I can solder capacitor leads and leads to elsewhere in the chassis.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 10, 2022 5:32 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
For years I have been using zip ties with eyelets to mount capacitors under the chassis with screws/nuts/star-washers. In cases where there is no place to put a screw, zip tying a couple/three caps together, then using decent quality hot glue to adhere them to a clean place on the chassis also works as long as there is no unusual pulling or pressure on the cap wiring.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 10, 2022 5:39 pm 

Dale H. Cook wrote:
I use one of the available screws to mount a tie-point strip to which I can solder capacitor leads and leads to elsewhere in the chassis.

I've done that too, but nothing is really holding the capacitors other than their leads. as they get larger in size, it seems they could benefit from more secure attachment. Mostly if you're worried about your gear still working after falling out of the back of a jeep, or being dropped from an airplane.