Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 28, 2021 7:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Power for 6-volt battery sets
PostPosted: Jan Tue 12, 2021 2:24 pm 

Hi all,

I was just reading another topic concerning "farm radios", where it was stated that the power supplies required for them are cumbersome. This is quite true for those with 6.3-volt "A" battery and a vibrator. On my sets with this type of power requirement I simply install a wire to the B+ supply point in the circuit. Then I pull the vibrator out and use my AES power supply to provide A and B voltages to the set. It saves the vibrator from wear, operation is nice and quiet and the power supply required is bulk-free. When I decide to play a set from a storage battery, I put a wire nut on the B+ wire and stow it away, pop in the vibrator and let her hum back to life!

Post subject: Re: Power for 6-volt battery sets
PostPosted: Jan Tue 12, 2021 3:38 pm 

Chuck Braun wrote:
Hi all,

I was just reading another topic concerning "farm radios", where it was stated that the power supplies required for them are cumbersome. This is quite true for those with 6.3-volt "A" battery and a vibrator. On my sets with this type of power requirement I simply install a wire to the B+ supply point in the circuit. Then I pull the vibrator out and use my AES power supply to provide A and B voltages to the set. It saves the vibrator from wear, operation is nice and quiet and the power supply required is bulk-free. When I decide to play a set from a storage battery, I put a wire nut on the B+ wire and stow it away, pop in the vibrator and let her hum back to life!
Smart Move! That is one modification I can rave about. Most of these "farm radios" require a 60ah lead battery to provide the 'nads to kick over the vibrator then substantial current just to hum. A plus is the AES supply is about as economical as it gets...

Kudos on good idea! chas

PostPosted: Jan Tue 12, 2021 7:51 pm 

And another plus to this method is that you can play these sets all day on a 6-volt lantern battery with a clip of ten 9-volt batteries for the "B" supply...

PostPosted: Jan Tue 12, 2021 11:54 pm 

Wow, looks like a great work-around for the amp intensive 6 volt farm sets. I'll have to give it a try on one of my Zeniths, thx!