Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 21, 2021 5:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Whitening Yellowed plastic process. It WORKS!
PostPosted: Nov Wed 25, 2020 8:43 pm 

On a Facebook CB page, someone asked about the yellowing of plastic from UV. One person suggested a hair coloring creme called Salon 40. Apparently, it is Peroxide based. You use gloves of course. Brush this cream on the yellowed plastic, and seal in in a plastic bag to keep it from drying out. Place the plastic bag out in sunlight for a few days. Here is my result, and it was amazing! Please note, I had it out 1.5 days, and the last .5 day, was not sunny. I may further try to get it more white, but as you can see, there was a 300% improvement from the original yellow. Here is a youtube video on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI5giRiQQdA

BTW, the yellowed picture was much more yellow than it shows on the picture. The whitening picture is about right, and a dramatic improvement!

The back of this radio is a Penncrest 1130 Transistor radio from the mid 1960's

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Whitening Yellowed plastic process. It WORKS!
PostPosted: Nov Thu 26, 2020 12:39 am 

That's impressive - the most dramatic result I have seen using this method so far.

Joe

PostPosted: Nov Thu 26, 2020 12:59 am 

Radiotech_7 wrote:
That's impressive - the most dramatic result I have seen using this method so far.

Joe

What's more impressive was a 53 year old bald guy, going into a women's hair/beauty shop, and buying this stuff!

PostPosted: Nov Thu 26, 2020 8:05 pm 

I go to Sally Beauty pretty often. 40% peroxide liquid is a good, cheap etch solution, combined with cheap muriatic acid from hardware store. I can etch pc boards nicely with no expensive, dirty ferric chloride.

Rich

PostPosted: Jun Wed 16, 2021 3:53 am 

So wouldn't leaving it out in the sun for 3 days possibly melt the radio case? Otherwise, I might try that on one of my transistor radios.
RW

"Never pay more for an acquisition than you have to."- Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #3

PostPosted: Jun Sat 19, 2021 6:18 pm 

Looks great!

PostPosted: Jul Thu 08, 2021 6:47 am 

Process known as Retrobrite by the vintage game and computer community

I tried it on my Super Nintendo body(obviously you don’t want to do this while the electronics are inside.), but with a completely different method. The problem with using the plastic wrap/bag setup, is you might not get an even color afterwards, might even look marbled(some might like it, but many will hate it). So instead buy the salon 40 in the blue bottle that is a complete liquid, then pour into a large storage tote (ideally clear) and fill with water. You want enough water to cover everything, and to prevent it from floating up, you might need to weigh it down somehow (i used some small rocks outside, enough weight to hold it down, not enough to break anything.)

Check on it every hour to 30 minutes, making sure to occasionally rotate and move the pieces.

I don’t have any pictures atm, but my Super Nintendo, while not massively yellowed, was noticeable, after doing this is looks near perfect again.

Also be careful cuz you can go overboard on this, supposedly it can weaken the plastic if you use way to much or set for too long.

Also this really only works on abs plastics from what I understand, it’s apparently not actually “bleaching” the plastic like you’d think, rather it’s removing the bromine chemical on the surface of it, which is what causes the yellowing/browning effect. I’m no chemist so I can only really go off what I’ve heard and read about it.

So yeah long story short, unless you’re 100% sure the cases of your transistor radios are made of ABS plastic and yellowing because of it, I’d be very careful which ones you try it on, least until you’re absolutely sure. Cuz again it possibly can weaken the plastic. And also cuz it’s a hell of a lot easier to replace a Super Nintendo, than it is certain old transistor radios. You can find snes’s all over the place still, from fb marketplace and ebay, to thrift stores and vintage game stores. Same can’t always be said for certain transistor radio models…

Check out a YouTube channel called the 8-bit guy, he did several videos about the retrobrite method.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 15, 2021 12:03 am 

It does work, I used to restore old Mac 128's and 512's with this method years ago. One thing that I might add is if you choose to use the sun as your UV source instead of a lamp, keep a tab on the surface temperature. The chemical reaction can generate a good amount of heat while it's working especially in the summer time and depending on the item could actually get hot enough to warp the plastic. I never ran into this but the pieces I usually used it on weren't terribly yellowed and didn't require pushing it too far.