Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 22, 2021 10:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dead NiCad Battery
PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 4:29 pm 

I used to do that on my dads rechargeable razor. Saved it for a long time. Blast the shorts out of the nicads and it would work then. Do not deal with that much anymore due to newer battery types in most stuff. I have old ham radios that use nicads. But they get little to no use compared to what they used to, and the nicads just go bad from disuse and that is that. I have switched to optional alkaline packs for use in the case of radios that hardly used but should be ready to go in a crisis. But since some radios drain batteries when turned off, I leave them out of the radio.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 23, 2021 5:49 pm 

rcflyboy wrote:
My next airplane will be made out of a chainsaw or weed eater motor, where I need no batteries. Just good old American AC Fire Ring Spark plugs and Japanese-made Eneloop home-wired battery battery packs for the Xmitter and receiver. Sorry China, I have learned to live without you and your friends. It's just environmentally sound practice. China is the #1 contributors to the growing scourge of American landfills. No more ebay or Amazon crap for me.

The number 1 contributor to growing scourge of american landfills is americans trying to buy cheap stuff, finding out that it's cheap for a reason, and then having to throw it away. nobody is forcing people to buy garbage. there's always a quality option, but it's not always at a price you can afford.

Have your tried using NiMH batteries instead?

PostPosted: Mar Tue 23, 2021 7:03 pm 

anything that works with nicad should work even better with nimh. you'll need a different charger if you don't want to ruin the new batteries, but that's an easy problem to solve.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 04, 2021 7:23 am 

https://eneloop101.com/
Rich, W3HWJ wrote:
The last Eneloops I bought were made in Japan. Look for the ones with WHITE insulating seals.

https://eneloop.panasonic.com/en/produc ... p-pro.html

Quote:
Made in Japan

Panasonic eneloop is designed, manufactured, and tested in Japan to rigorous quality-control standards. No matter where you are in the world, expect supreme Japanese craftsmanship with every battery.

I have seen Eneloops on the racks at big box stores and they have BLACK seals and made in China.

Plucked from the Internet:

Rich

PostPosted: Apr Sun 04, 2021 7:40 am 

As the OP, I have had some small amount of luck reviving old nicads which were dead as rocks for many years. I was surprised. Although the capacity for an RC plane is still questionable, based on nothing more than voltage measurements with a cheap multimeter after several days. I used an WWII military capacitor/coil tester and charged a 10mfd capacitor to 250-300 volts and shockdt them and the charger lamps actually lit up and charged them. Although I have a feeling that more than 5 minutes of flight time would be pressing my luck. The plane that I would be using them on has been crashed so many times I'm not sure the wood can hold all the glue together. But a big bill from somebody whose house or car had been damaged from a runaway plane is not a comforting thought.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 18, 2021 4:48 pm 

buying chinese batteries is a roll of the dice.
there are good ones but they are buried in a sea of crap.
just buy sanyo,panasonic,ect.
sold at digikey.
sanyo and panasonic are one and the same now.
under fdk at digikey.
saft even has decent stuff but hard to source.
i think i got some of those junk 4/5sc from ebay.
several were 0v.
and ir was 150mohm on most.
should be under 5mohm.
those went right back.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 18, 2021 5:46 pm 

anchorman wrote:
anything that works with nicad should work even better with nimh. you'll need a different charger if you don't want to ruin the new batteries, but that's an easy problem to solve.

True for low current devices. Try NiMH in something like a portable drill and you'll find they have the same capacity as NiCads and get hotter and don't last. NiCads were better at not losing capacity with over trickle charging.

Saw this too many times in R/C forums. Same or less run time when switching to a NiMH rated for twice the capacity.

I flew a friends R/C plane with at least a dozen A size NiCads. Did a 8-minute flight, half full throttle. Landed and the batts were too hot to hold. NiMH would probably have caught fire. Guy said the motor was running at just under 20 amps.

Note: my 18V LiIon drill uses cells rated for 30 amp. Originally they used 20 amp and did not last.