Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 18, 2021 5:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing Electrolytics Made Easy
PostPosted: Aug Tue 24, 2021 2:30 am 

Here is my method of replacing electrolytics. See photo. Number 1 cap is being replaced by soldering a three terminal strip to the center of the old cap after removing all wires. This section is grounded, so add piece of wire from the mounting nut to the center of the new strip. Connect negative end of cap to center of terminal strip and positive to the end terminal as shown and then add original wires to the same end.

Number two cap is not grounded so mount the cap between the two end terminals. The orange wire is connected to the cap mounting nut which is isolated from the chassis. Add the original wires to the right end as shown.

For a multi-section cap I use five terminal Abbatron terminal strips which allows room for two electrolytics..

Attachments:
Replacements.jpg
Replacements.jpg [ 634.42 KiB | Viewed 466 times ]

http://www.dalesantiqueradio.com/

Post subject: Re: Replacing Electrolytics Made Easy
PostPosted: Aug Tue 24, 2021 2:58 am 

I see what you are doing, but I also see a potential problem.
If the old capacitor has the body grounded and you are not using it ,you might get leakage through the center of the old cap to ground.
I have used the method you use but I never solder any components to the center of the old cap especially if the can is grounded.

I use the method you show installing the green cap in your photo,where no part of the cap touches the old center terminal.

I will solder a terminal strip to the center of the old cap, and solder my new caps to the terminal strip.
Please correct me if I misinterpreted your statements.
Dan in Calgary.

Post subject: Re: Replacing Electrolytics Made Easy
PostPosted: Aug Tue 24, 2021 3:23 am 

Here is how it is grounded: "add piece of wire from the mounting nut to the center of the new strip"

That text is in my description.

http://www.dalesantiqueradio.com/