Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 5:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PayPal e-mail: confirm your identity - legit or scam?
PostPosted: Nov Sat 10, 2018 3:04 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
As far as I know, in the USA PayPal is a bank? I may be wrong about that, but I remember reading that somewhere.

Anyway .... banks NEVER ask you to log in via a link in an email ..... period.

You should NEVER log in thru' a link in an email.

You should ALWAYS go to the official website and log in the normal way.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 10, 2018 3:10 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
... anyone near by with a laptop and a "packet sniffer" can log your whole experience into a doc file and then log into your accounts.

This is a bit beyond the original scope of the thread, but just to expand on that, a hacker can also dump malware such as keyloggers onto the unsuspecting user's device during that unsecured session, whereby they can track/monitor/steal from the user later on.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 10, 2018 3:14 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
As far as I know, in the USA PayPal is a bank?

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/sto ... n-14549947

PostPosted: Nov Sun 11, 2018 1:40 am 

Vin Tageman wrote:
fifties wrote:
Vin Tageman wrote:
Could be legit, as most phishing scammers don't advise their targets to "or log in to your account",

Right, that makes it look legit... :wink: A smart scammer would include that, for that reason.

That would be a stupid scammer. It doesn't help give the appearance of legitimacy. It makes no sense to provide a link and then advise the alternative "or" log in, particularly when providing no fake URL (assuming here that "log in to your account" wasn't a link in the original email). That clearly suggests the target go out-of-client to log in (i.e., to the bona-fide website). No link clicked "or" no fake site visited = no profit.
Scammers invariably want the included link(s) clicked — that's why they're there. Including safe alternatives is counterproductive.

I've never seen an email phishing attempt structured like that. Misspellings, sure. Minor changes to MTA, absolutely. But telling the target to go out-of-client to the legit site (since no fake URL was provided)? WTH?
I can't imagine anyone seeing an email like this and going off busily hunting a different URL than the one they normally log in with.

A hacker can create redirects and even modify a legit site's own server files, made possible by crummy security — no, I'm not talking about SQL injection (doesn't everyone use prepared statements nowadays?).
But, these kinds of attacks hit anyone logging into the compromised, genuine site, not just email victims.

You're missing the point; sure, a scammer is gonna give up a portion, and maybe a good portion, but nevertheless, making the email look legit is the primary thrust, right? I too have never seen a scammer bright enough to include a legit link, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 12, 2018 7:04 pm 

There have been email scams where a link gets embedded into an email to make it appear legit. And the link simply ends up going to a keystroke logger site that gives an "unavailable error" or some sort after the info is entered.

Which is why you never, ever log in via link in the email. Always, always, log in via PayPal's official site.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 08, 2019 3:49 pm 

forumuser wrote:
I considered it a scam because according to this quote below from their site I shouldn't have been able to use my account money to buy anything. But I have been buying ( and selling ) right before and after I received the notice twice. Also, I don't have my money tied to any credit card, debit card or bank account so there is no option there for me. If I don't "claim" the money as they asked, the only thing they could do I guess is to just close my account and take my money away. I don't leave much in there any more so its wouldn't be a big deal. Its been more than a month since my last notice. I'm not going to worry about it.

"While you cannot use your balance to send money or make purchases until you confirm your identity, you can still receive payments and send money from your bank account, debit card, or credit card. You can click Claim It and keep it in PayPal, or you can choose to transfer the money to your bank or debit card."

An update to my first post. I tried to send money to Sal's Capacitors this morning and was presented with the "confirm your account baloney". It seems typing in my SS number is not an option. They want a scan of my SS card and a photo ID. How many people do not have the know-how or equipment to do so? There is an option to "do it later" but then I can't spend my balance. What a load of doo-doo! :x

PostPosted: Jan Tue 08, 2019 4:02 pm 

forumuser wrote:
It seems typing in my SS number is not an option. They want a scan of my SS card and a photo ID. How many people do not have the know-how or equipment to do so? There is an option to "do it later" but then I can't spend my balance. What a load of doo-doo! :x

I would think that most people that use PayPal have either a phone, scanner, or digital camera, or access to them from friends or family. Do you have a cell phone? Just take a picture of your ID.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 08, 2019 6:59 pm 

I remember when PP starting requesting SS from its users, but they ONLY require it IF you'll be loading the PP account manually from a bank account. The PP rep that emailed me back in those days told me they're doing this because of money laundering concerns, and they were using the BSA as the excuse.
The other case where they may want it is if you run a business and accept payment via PP, since sales volume and taxable income are then involved.

I have never given PP my SS number and have had no issues whatsoever in making purchases through PP. They use up whatever is in my account and extract anything else necessary from my dedicated PP bank account. The BANK has my SS number, which is required to open the bank account in the first place, so PP doesn't need it to satisfy BSA.

That's why you're having this problem and are on their radar, so to speak. You don't have a separate financial account tied to your PP account and you accept payments from sales via PP. The feds have to be able to track payments. Anonymity is not an option.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 08, 2019 8:58 pm 

Vin Tageman wrote:
That's why you're having this problem and are on their radar, so to speak. You don't have a separate financial account tied to your PP account and you accept payments from sales via PP. The feds have to be able to track payments. Anonymity is not an option.

Vin is 100% correct. All the rest of us have a bank account that is tied to Paypal for money in and money out of the paypal account. So go to your local bank and get another account if your worried about paypal getting into your regular accounts.
PP never asked me or most of us who have PP accts for our SS number.
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Jan Tue 08, 2019 9:27 pm 

Thanks. I guess I'll have to open a separate bank account. But then will I be able to spend my money thats in my Paypal account right now or am I forced to transfer it to this new account before I can spend or add? It looked to me that only if I wanted a withdrawl of funds to me I use that bank account.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 08, 2019 11:05 pm 

forumuser wrote:
Thanks. I guess I'll have to open a separate bank account. But then will I be able to spend my money thats in my Paypal account right now or am I forced to transfer it to this new account before I can spend or add? It looked to me that only if I wanted a withdrawl of funds to me I use that bank account.

Go read your PM messages.
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Jan Tue 08, 2019 11:57 pm 

PM read and reply sent.
Its been clearly explained. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 09, 2019 5:27 am 

i did not read all the posts, but allow me to add:

never, never, never, ever sign in to paypal thru an email.

always sign in via the main page and browse your account and messages thru the main page.

if you want to be safe, NEVER sign in to anything, especially paypal, thru an email.

steve

PostPosted: Jan Wed 09, 2019 5:43 am 

k9uwa wrote:
Vin Tageman wrote:

Vin is 100% correct. All the rest of us have a bank account that is tied to Paypal for money in and money out of the paypal account. So go to your local bank and get another account if your worried about paypal getting into your regular accounts.
PP never asked me or most of us who have PP accts for our SS number.
John k9uwa

All of this is simple - if you use PP to take in more than a certain amount, they send you and the IRS a 1009-K. For that, they need your SSN or EIN to file.
Attachment:
1099K.jpg
1099K.jpg [ 56.37 KiB | Viewed 254 times ]

That said, the info should already be in their hands. After $20K, they freeze your account, have you log in, verify some info, provide some, and then they unfreeze. It's all Sarbanes Oxley (EDIT) stuff, IIRC. I had to provide all of that back in the early 2000s, and got 1099-K forms for several years for stuff I sold on eBay. Sell lots of stuff, and the IRS knows. Sell less than $20K (back then) and no reporting to the IRS. I'm certain that the threshold varies year-to-year. I got one for the last time in 2015 - I tipped that amount with my tube sales, here on ARF - remember the 6L6GC quads? I paid tax on all that. :oops:

EDIT2: Not Sarbanes -Oxley, but a 2012 law brought about the 1099-K. Prior to that, I got 1099-MISC forms.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 09, 2019 7:34 pm 

Don't even think about your options for anything that comes in the email such as this, trash it.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 7:39 pm 

Correct in that the 1099-K requirement is a federally enforced requirement on PayPal, Ebay, and all other firms that allow customers to take in revenue via their services. PayPal will contact you if they need that information, but they will contact you legitimately. And it will also show up on your account when you log in.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 1:09 am 

Since my last post on Tuesday I went to the bank and opened another savings account strictly for PP usage. I came back home went to the PP site to tie the account to them. Didn't like my account numbers. So I thought maybe it takes time for the new account to be usable by outside entities. 24 hours later I tried again and it worked. BUT... There is now another layer of security with a confirmation process. PP stated within the next 2-3 business days they will send 2 small test payments of less than $1 each and then remove them. So now its up to me to wait for those payments, mark down what they were and go to PP site again and enter in those 2 amounts. The hassle with that is I don't have online banking set up and I have to go to the bank possibly a couple more times and ask if any payments were added to my account. Even worse is PP said some banks may combine those 2 payments into 1. If that happens I can't enter in the 2 amounts so would be forced to call them on the phone and go through what most likely is the usual touchtone recording game and long waits on hold. GAH!!!

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 1:39 am 

Federal regulations regarding money laundering.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/art ... re-faq3834

Why do I have to confirm my identity on my PayPal account to hold a balance when I haven’t been asked before?
Even though PayPal isn’t a bank, we need to comply with the same government regulations as other financial institutions. We’re asking for identifying information so you can continue to keep and spend money directly from your PayPal balance.

If you don’t provide identifying information, or we’re unable to confirm the identifying information you provide us, you will not be able to use your PayPal balance to send money or make purchases. However, you’ll still be able to use your preferred payment method or backup payment method such as your bank or debit or credit card to send money or to make purchase

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 2:01 am 

For the last 10 years I was buying and selling in small amounts without a bank account or credit card tied to paypal. It sucks to have to jump through these hoops all of a sudden. But thats the modern world I guess.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 8:36 pm 

Peter Bertini wrote:
If you don’t provide identifying information, or we’re unable to confirm the identifying information you provide us, you will not be able to use your PayPal balance to send money or make purchases. However, you’ll still be able to use your preferred payment method or backup payment method such as your bank or debit or credit card to send money or to make purchase

Of course they actually do want your money kept in your pp account. Otherwise they're paying fee's on CC transactions and they're not earning interest when you pay directly from your bank or CC. I have heard in some instances there are delays on some bank transfers which supposedly allows them enough time to earn a small interest fee on the transaction. I've not been able to confirm that, but it would not surprise me. What continues to surprise me is that they continue supporting the friends and family method of payment. I thought that would have disappeared long ago.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 44 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next