Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 06, 2019 1:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: what would you do?
PostPosted: Dec Sun 01, 2019 8:34 pm 

Had a buyer purchase 5 lots from me on Ebay. So I repackaged and shipped all in one box.

Tracking shows in transit but also shows delivered.

Buyer says he didn't receive.

We are waiting for USPS to investigate but with holiday, no response yet.

Since it shows as delivered, do I legally owe anything to the buyer? Morally I feel some guilt but its more than a few $$$.

Thanks

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

Post subject: Re: what would you do?
PostPosted: Dec Sun 01, 2019 8:47 pm 

Assuming it is insured, I’d be sure to take a screen shot of the current status. Especially since it says in transit and delvered. May be useful down the road to help prove the USPS had issues with the shipment.

Last edited by IowaHawkeye on Dec Mon 02, 2019 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 01, 2019 10:08 pm 

It may have been delivered but either to the wrong address or to the right address but some stranger came along and took it.

It makes no difference what anybody else would have done in this situation, it's what Ebay dictates who's ultimately responsible in this situation and I think it's going to be you. You should have used Signature Certification.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 4:52 pm 

Just talking with a neighbor in the same boat... PO says drop dead, it's delivered. End of story... he eats it. Been there a few times myself. The USPS just waves the middle finger in your direction and the sellers think you're pulling a fast one!!!! Only once did I have satisfaction thru my credit card, but it took 6 months for the refund. Good luck!!! We can't even get our mail delivered correctly... we get mail from all over the city.... if it has my number, I can get it... doesn't matter what street....

Jim

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 5:28 pm 

My post office, Hollywood Maryland 20636 is a horrible office. Packages have sometimes never been found, even when shown on line to have been delivered. One case the package appeared nine days after. I asked the postmaster what happened, he said it was none of my business. A dress my wife ordered was never found. The postmaster blamed that on someone stealing packages. No wonder that the postal service is failing.

Most of the mail wrongly delivered to my home is the same mistake, same address over and over. Ask you customer if they often have mistakes like mine. It may lead them to the package.

David

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 7:28 pm 

If tracking shows delivered, seller is off the hook with ebay, paypal, and credit cards. one thing you will want to do is put the tracking number on each sale item, all 5 of them, or they will get their money back for the other 4 items.

Yes theres a chance it was stolen but they also could be lying trying to get money and the items. This is why I never order expensive items and have them shipped. Once the shippers all get using GPS tracking its going to help this some as far as buyers go, because then they would have a claim with the shipper if it shows it was delivered to the wrong place. But as of now, buyer is likely out of luck.

About all you can do is have them talk to their neighbors to see if they got it instead, and maybe the delivery person.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 7:32 pm 

I used to live in Hollywood, MD, then I moved to California, MD, but I also lived in Valley Lee and Lexington Park. All the same crappy USPS service.
FWIW, mid-delivered mail happens pretty often here in Charleston, SC as well. Most of my neighbors are good and they will bring mail to me that should have been delivered to me, but one time my brother sent me a Willie Nelson CD addressed one house # different from mine and it was delivered to that house but they claimed they never got it which is BS.
It will be interesting to me to see how this plays out. In MY opinion DELIVERED means it was DELIVERED and the seller is off the hook.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 8:30 pm 

I'll add to my previous post. i had someone do a credit card chargeback on me saying that they never got the item. All I had to do was provide the tracking showing it was delivered and I was off the hook. That is one of only a couple ways out of a chargeback as a seller.

Ebay and paypal are the same. If it shows delivered your off the hook. Can you imagine all the false claims that would happen if they didnt do it that way?

A true scammer after doing this will say they found it somewhere but its damaged or they want to return it and then mail you back a rock. Those buyers are rare and dont last long on ebay, but long enough to screw a couple people first.

Calling ebay is sometimes useless but if they file some type of claim then I would call them and dont hang up until they end the claim in your favor.

I hope the buyer is lying as that has to be an awful thing to have happen if true. But it happens everyday. Sad

PostPosted: Dec Tue 03, 2019 6:34 am 

oldmannewtrick wrote:
If tracking shows delivered, seller is off the hook with ebay

This.
I sent an item to a buyer some years back, and tracking showed that it was delivered. Buyer said he never received it and started a claim. I sent eBay a copy of the tracking, showing delivery, and it was game over for the buyer.

He later admitted that another package delivered the same day was also missing, and he figured they had both been stolen. What a piece of work, trying to get me to eat his loss. :roll:

PostPosted: Dec Tue 03, 2019 1:45 pm 

In the end the PO has stood by their tracking and said it was delivered.

The buyer understands and is filing an insurance claim.

He is an honorable buyer and did not ask me to reimburse him.

I feel bad and hope his insurance covers his loss.

http://www.myantiqueradio.com