Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 06, 2021 12:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I've About Had It With Shipping
PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2021 1:04 pm 

I used to be quite good at simply looking at the size of a box and estimating weight just by picking it up. Not any more. Shipping has really gotten expensive in the last few months. The eBay shipping calculator is worthless. I used it the other day and was charged an additional $40 afterwards. Sure, you print out the shipping label and drop it off at the Post Office and they gladly accept it, but a few hours later you get an email saying there was a $40 additional charge for postage. It's unreal. I knew it wasn't enough when I printed the label. Complaints to eBay are futile. They just say shippingt costs have risen and they are working on it. Great. So I am back to trying to estimate it myself to no avail. I had to ship an Amplion Speaker last week. I couldn't find a box in my storage large enough for it. I ended up having to go to FedEx and buying a 24"x24"x24" box. $10.50. $25 in styrofoam peanuts. The speaker and contents weighed in at 21# almost exactly. Shipping between Charleston, SC and St. Louis. USPS wanted $160., UPS wanted $152., and FedEx wanted $130 Ground so I went with FedEx. The funny thing was, FedEx wanted $180 for 3 day shipping so I went with Ground and it was estimated to also be 3 days shipping. I told the woman at the counter, "so if I spend an extra $50 for Express Shipping it will get there the same day as Ground? Is that what you're telling me?". Obviously, I took the ground option but it really did take as long as the express option because they did deliver it 3 days later. Either way, shipping has become outrageously high. I thought it was more the SIZE of the box than the weight of the box, but yesterday, I took a small box to the USPS and it weighed 17 ounces. Now, if it had weighed 16 ounces or less would have made a big difference, but what I thought would be $5 was $12. Incredible. So my question is, what shipping method are you guys using and how are you compensating or factoring today's prices into your selling price? Do you trust the eBay shipping process? I fear this may be the end of double boxing of radios to be honest.

Post subject: Re: I've About Had It With Shipping
PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2021 4:17 pm 

houstonj wrote:
...shipping has become outrageously high.......what shipping method are you guys using and how are you compensating or factoring today's prices into your selling price?

All methods of transporting tangible material between locations has increased in price. Add the estimated shipping cost, contingency, and any other costs to the selling price. What else can one do? This has the net effect of reducing the value of what's in the box and the landfill becomes an option, which is unfortunate for conservation/preservation/history.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2021 4:33 pm 

Everything I've sold on eBay and shipped lately has gone by Fedex ground. eBay discounts the cost of Fedex shipping so much that they can charge a relatively reasonable shipping cost to the buyer and I still pay a little bit less than that (usually about a dollar or so.)

The thing is, knowing the weight and dimensions of the box before you even create the listing is mandatory. You have to enter that information as part of the listing. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for a very unpleasant surprise.

Working directly with the shippers and paying full retail is so expensive it's honestly not worth it. Last radio I shipped was 30 pounds and something like 20x16x12 from Wisconsin to Idaho. eBay charged the buyer $41 for shipping and charged me $39 for the label (which did not cover the 3/4 of a large roll of bubble wrap necessary to get it there safely.) If you go direct to Fedex to ship a box like that? $80.

UPS is just as good, but I live near the airport so there is a large Fedex shipping station just a short drive from my house. If you are not so advantaged, I believe Walgreens accepts Fedex packages. They do here, not sure about elsewhere.

The bottom line of all which is, moving large unrestored radios around the country isn't going to make a lot of sense unless you recalibrate your expectations of what such a thing should cost. If you want to ship things, you should be working with one of the discounters. PayPal Goods & Services does discounting too, which more than covers their fee, so using F&F is penny wise pound foolish. I've never worked with other third party shipping managers like stamps.com or similar so I can't speak to those. Either way, paying retail now is a fool's game unless your package is small enough to go USPS first class.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2021 4:52 pm 

Thank you Paul. I have been using FedEx more and more lately. I will try your advice and start shipping FedEx ground via eBay and see how that goes. Another point you made that I like is to pack the item and then take measurements and weight. As usual, I am a procrastinator and don't pack until the item has sold, but lately I have offered free shipping so no matter what, it's on me. I like your approach to shipping though. Going to give it a try.
Thanks.
Jim

PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2021 5:29 pm 

Yeah after trial and plenty of error I find it pretty reliable.
I'm lazy too. Typically I do pick out and measure the box I'm going to mail the item in before I create the listing, weigh it and the item and add a pound or two to cover the weight of packing materials, and use that for the listing. (If you pack with paper, it adds a LOT more weight than that, but I always use bubble wrap.) I don't know what the package will actually weigh until I pack it, and then I weigh it again after it's packed. But my estimates rarely miss.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2021 7:53 pm 

Yeah, shipping is terrible.

I looked into shipping two large consoles from Arizona to Ohio. One Grand! :shock:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2021 10:27 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
I looked into shipping two large consoles from Arizona to Ohio. One Grand! :shock:

https://shipgreyhound.com/

That's how Willie, of the ever famous willeezswarez, does it.

Although now I have questions about why a console would need to go from Arizona to Ohio. That's opposite of the usual direction these things travel. Ain't no shortage of console radios in OH

PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2021 10:45 pm 

first off I'm not at liberty right now to say why.

I've shipped Greyhound a number of times and I know these are much too large and heavy.
Willee sometimes ships radios freight due to size and weight.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Nov Thu 18, 2021 11:41 pm 

"The maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The maximum dimensions that we can accommodate are 29″ H x 47″ W x 82″ L."

Must be quite a console to not meet those guidelines, even wrapped for shipment. I could see going over the 100 pounds if you need to crate, but it would make sense that it can't be too heavy for the driver to hand carry. When I sent this way I just mummified in bubble wrap and strapped it. If you're getting too big and heavy for that you might as well take a weekend off, put it in a van or a truck and drive it.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 19, 2021 12:42 am 

I certainly cannot drive that distance in a weekend, unless I don't sleep at all.
Due to circumstances right now I cannot take the time to drive the distance. It would take at least 5 days. I would be more comfortable with 6.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Nov Sat 20, 2021 8:42 pm 

Here lately, I've been passing on a lot of things that I see on Ebay because the shipping is too dang expensive. I'm sorry; but, it's not worth paying $50-$75+ to have an ordinary tube radio shipped to me and when I get it, the radio will likely not be packed right to begin with. Then, you have those Ebay sellers who gouge the shipping price. For example, I saw an AA5 listed a day or two ago and the quoted shipping was over $200. Shipping has indeed gone up; but, not THAT much and that's just a case of a seller trying to pad their wallet.

Because of things that have been discussed previously in other posts, I've written off Ebay as far as selling anything; but, when I was selling there, I got a bit of a discount when I went through Ebay to print the FedEx shipping label. Even with the discount, the only way I could do it was to re-use old packing materials and boxes. If I had to buy those items, it would have thrown the shipping cost up to a point where most people would not have bought the item. I could sell some stuff on here and on the various Facebook antique radio and record player groups; but, the shipping charges make it not worth it. I often hear, "if I were local to you, I'd buy that in a minute; but, the shipping makes it not worth it" and I fully understand where they are coming from. The sad thing is....it will never get better and if it does anything, it will just keep going up.

It's getting to the point where the only items that will sell that have to be shipped will be "high dollar" stuff, where the high shipping price won't be much of a concern; but, I'm afraid the days of buying a $20 unrestored radio online are drawing to a close because when you add the $50-$70+ for shipping, it makes it not worth it.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 22, 2021 4:51 pm 

Paul Dietenberger wrote:
Yeah after trial and plenty of error I find it pretty reliable.
I'm lazy too. Typically I do pick out and measure the box I'm going to mail the item in before I create the listing, weigh it and the item and add a pound or two to cover the weight of packing materials, and use that for the listing. (If you pack with paper, it adds a LOT more weight than that, but I always use bubble wrap.) I don't know what the package will actually weigh until I pack it, and then I weigh it again after it's packed. But my estimates rarely miss.

I use exactly the same method as Paul. In addition, I save all bubble wrap, packing peanuts, air bags, etc from packages that are shipped to me in large garbage bags for re-use as packing material. Fortunately, (or unfortunately), my wife buys a lot of stuff from Amazon.

In addition, I'm lucky to have a packing supplies company near me that delivers any amount of packing peanuts, bubble wrap etc for free. I will typically order a bag of peanuts and 100' roll of bubble wrap for a much lower price than retail. Home depot also sells large, heavy duty boxes at very reasonable cost $2-$3. I also buy six packs of heavy duty Scotch shipping tape from Costco when they go on sale.

I do all this to keep the shipping cost displayed to the buyer as reasonable as possible. I know, that personally, I will not bid or Buy it now on an item with expensive shipping so I presume that many of my buyer/bidders will not either. It's all part of successfully selling on eBay.

Weigh, measure, add a couple of pounds for packing material, and enter all this info into the eBay shipping calculator and use FEDEX Ground as your carrier. You can preview how much it will cost to ship to several different areas of the country. If not crazy high, you can also enter a fixed dollar amount for shipping/handling ($3 or $4) to help defray some of the cost of packing materials.

Don't ever offer Free Shipping, especially on an auction item. That's a recipe for getting burned big time. And don't estimate. Basically pre-pack, weigh and measure the item in the actual box you'll be sending it in BEFORE you list it. Good luck!

PostPosted: Nov Tue 23, 2021 5:20 am 

Good advice Michael. I pack the radio, weigh it and measure it before I put it on Ebay. I've never had a problem with shipping.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Nov Tue 23, 2021 2:36 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
Good advice Michael. I pack the radio, weigh it and measure it before I put it on Ebay. I've never had a problem with shipping.

+1

I typically ship UPS or FedEx as eBay offers the biggest discount with those options. In many cases after packing material and shipping costs I am able to refund some of the cost back to the buyer. I buy my bubble wrap and boxes mostly at Home Depot but I also salvage a lot from the purchasing department at my work.

Sometimes those high shipping costs that you see on eBay are simply sellers who are either too lazy or not equipped to properly weigh and measure a packed item, so they just throw in some wild guesstimate. One time I had a buyer message me that shipping seemed high on one of my items. I checked and sure enough I had fat fingered the weight in the calculator. I corrected that to let the guy know and he ended up buying. So if shipping seems high you can always ask. I've also had a few guys send lowball offers and demand free shipping which would cause me to take a big loss on what I was selling. I just block them :roll:

I just shipped an 11 lb, double boxed piece of ham equipment to Puerto Rico. USPS shipping was nearly $70! A few weeks ago I shipped a 36 # radio (packed and double boxed) to a guy in MO, it was only $25 after the discount.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 24, 2021 3:07 am 

Yes, like everything, the cost of shipping is going up. It will continue to do so. There's not much we can do about it...the best thing to do is determine the real cost of shipping of your item - after its ready to ship. it's still going to cost but it is as accurate as you can get it.

Before I list anything on any site, I pack/box the item/radio. I then weigh the box on an accurate digital scale, measure the box and enter that information on my listing. Then - and only then - do I list the radio.

I pack well, using an appropriately sized of box (sometimes double box) and all packing materials I think are needed to protect the item. I over-pack...I worry about the weight. It's necessary. I want that radio to get there undamaged.

All my listings are USPS with two options - ground or priority. I don't use Fedex, UPS, offer combined shipping or sell to overseas locations.

This is a proven process, works for me. I've used it for years. Actual shipping cost is usually within a $1.00, never more than $5 either way. I don't sweat that and no one has ever complained. I occasionally use USPS flat rate boxes - not my preference though. I sell about three or four radios a month, usually have 20-30 items or radios listed. It works.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 24, 2021 6:40 am 

Arhitter - Only 9 postings since 2018? You must be the strong, silent type. :wink:

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Nov Thu 25, 2021 5:09 pm 

Paul said:

"Working directly with the shippers and paying full retail is so expensive it's honestly not worth it. Last radio I shipped was 30 pounds and something like 20x16x12 from Wisconsin to Idaho. eBay charged the buyer $41 for shipping and charged me $39 for the label (which did not cover the 3/4 of a large roll of bubble wrap necessary to get it there safely.) If you go direct to Fedex to ship a box like that? $80."

I don't understand - - ebay charged the buyer and also charged you for the label? I'm obviously missing something here! (Unless it was a gold-leaf embossed label. . . :lol: )

Dan

PostPosted: Nov Thu 25, 2021 6:42 pm 

I got scammed by FedEx 3 days ago. Got a shipping quote from FedEx online, entered exact weight and destination, $23.24 for 9 lbs. So I sent off my wife with to Office Max, she had to go into town anyway. She comes back with a receipt of $40.00 Shock! Items: Other/Ins Fee $13.7, Declared Value $0.00, Cost $40.47, Totals $40.47 It doesn't even add up.
Lesson learned: for the foreseeable future i will not use FedEx or UPS (same deal) for my shipping needs. They scam individual customers to recover losses inflicted from big box retailers like Walmart, Target and such. Currently I am not selling anything on Ebay. My last sell was from Offer Up and it was a car part. I have a Paypal account and used it to print shipping labels directly from them. Paypal went through a lot of changes and I don't know if they still offer shipping. I never got double charged once the label was paid.
For now, I will ship items small enough to ship with USPS Flat Rate.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 25, 2021 6:44 pm 

SparkyDan wrote:
Paul said:

"Working directly with the shippers and paying full retail is so expensive it's honestly not worth it. Last radio I shipped was 30 pounds and something like 20x16x12 from Wisconsin to Idaho. eBay charged the buyer $41 for shipping and charged me $39 for the label (which did not cover the 3/4 of a large roll of bubble wrap necessary to get it there safely.) If you go direct to Fedex to ship a box like that? $80."

I don't understand - - ebay charged the buyer and also charged you for the label? I'm obviously missing something here! (Unless it was a gold-leaf embossed label. . . :lol: )

Dan

Somethings not right, EBay does not charge the seller for a label when the buyer has paid for shipping.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Nov Thu 25, 2021 7:06 pm 

solderblob wrote:
I got scammed by FedEx 3 days ago. Got a shipping quote from FedEx online, entered exact weight and destination, $23.24 for 9 lbs. So I sent off my wife with to Office Max, she had to go into town anyway. She comes back with a receipt of $40.00 Shock! Items: Other/Ins Fee $13.7, Declared Value $0.00, Cost $40.47, Totals $40.47 It doesn't even add up.
Lesson learned: for the foreseeable future i will not use FedEx or UPS (same deal) for my shipping needs. They scam individual customers to recover losses inflicted from big box retailers like Walmart, Target and such. Currently I am not selling anything on Ebay. My last sell was from Offer Up and it was a car part. I have a Paypal account and used it to print shipping labels directly from them. Paypal went through a lot of changes and I don't know if they still offer shipping. I never got double charged once the label was paid.
For now, I will ship items small enough to ship with USPS Flat Rate.

Solution: Open a Fedex account (free). Print your own prepaid Fedex shipping labels based on the quoted price they provide on-line.
Then just drop them off at any Fedex or affiliate location . We have a Dollar General store locally that that does daily pick-ups.
Never been burned in 5 years.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next