Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Thu 28, 2020 4:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dream a little dream!!
PostPosted: Jun Tue 14, 2011 5:23 pm 

The smaller the radio, the more expensive it should be? Am I missing something?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Midget-Japanese-Vin ... 588d216859

Post subject: Re: Dream a little dream!!
PostPosted: Jun Tue 14, 2011 5:51 pm 

Stars fading but I linger on dear, still craving your kiss!!

Nice song referencing, and yes, that radio is waaaaay overpriced.

-Nolan

PostPosted: Jun Tue 14, 2011 6:36 pm 

Actually I got the title from an old tagline for the Maine Lottery, but yours works too!! :D

PostPosted: Jun Tue 14, 2011 7:09 pm 

As far as the Japanese sets from the early 60's go, if you're into collecting them the red one is probably the most difficult to find. They're kind of fun to collect (I used to collect them, but thinned out the pack). They sort of provide a little comic relief to the seriousness of a bunch of wood radios. :D There was a good article on them in The ARC several years ago. I've seen red ones go for over $100.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 14, 2011 8:00 pm 

I have a pink one, bought for $50, works great and I love it, but I feel I paid too much.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 14, 2011 8:08 pm 

$50 for one of these? Maybe too much. But when you over pay for one of these, at least it's not on the scale of what some of the people over paid for catalins and Walton's in recent years. Who knows, maybe these are the collectable of the future. We can always hope.............

PostPosted: Jun Tue 14, 2011 10:17 pm 
Silent Key

Twenty fibe dolla G.I.

What a voice. Momma Cass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_070zWcEuk

PostPosted: Jun Wed 15, 2011 12:13 am 

Mike,
There is quite a following out there for "printed circuit board toobers" :shock:

Some have been listing as high as $150, not selling but the rarer ones like the "reds" get pushed to a $100 or so. :shock:

Here's one I picked up on the bay early this spring for the min. bid of $9.99 + $10 for s&h. :) This IS the before picture. Although it's missing it's gold nameplate & has a, not OEM tuning knob, cleaned up very nicely, all dirt & marks are now gone, a bright white front with black case. It's a little Rare, because of the design molded into the speaker grille. I think it was only the first year they were out, I haven't seen another like it at all.

They made a lot of these but without the design in the grille, under various names such as Ocean, Artic, Atlantic, Starlite? & many others. Later this case was "transistorized." Again with NO design in speaker grille, just straight lattice work.

Now For that "art deco" look you were complaining about a while back :lol: Here's a Westinghouse that I picked off e-bay, again for the minimum, $9.99. These do come up from time to time & are not that rare. Still a cute looking PCB toober. :)

Also have a Philco, no pic yet, in white that has 2 BIG knobs on the front face, not that rare, but not that common either. I've seen 2 red ones that went for $65 & a $100+ so far in the last year.

These sets were the start of the "throw-away" electronics, stopped working & people tossed them and bought another, so the survival rate are a lot lower than the earlier '50s sets. Also the downside to these radios were the HOT 35W4 & 50CS tubes tend to crack the plastic cases with the heating & cooling over time.

Although I Like pre-war woodies, I can see why there is a following to these little '60s toobers.

Mike, GET ON LINE & buy one of those little art-deco Westinghouses. :D

Lloyd

Sometimes, the heart can only SEE, what the EYES Cannot

Last edited by CrumblingWires on Jun Sun 19, 2011 6:35 am, edited 12 times in total.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 15, 2011 1:01 am 

I do have a few circuit board toobers!! :D A Jewel, Meteor (from Sears) and a Motorola. Love them all.

I guess with the Japanese sets, I'm thinking they are still quite common, but your statement makes sense, especially with the beginning days of throwaway electronics.

The pink one I bought was only because of the brand name, Beaver. Hence: Pink Beaver!! :mrgreen: