Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 15, 2020 11:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Someone is selling my Missing radio!
PostPosted: Jan Fri 12, 2018 11:53 pm 

Just don't use Global shipping and be shouting for the world to hear. If your International sales are occasional who cares, kicking a dead horse.

PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2020 10:26 pm 

Same thing just happened to me! I sold a Dynaco amp on ebay to a buyer in Canada. It made it to Kentucky, then vanished. I now see it being sold by a third party using my photos and description on ebay! This seller has thousands of items for sale.

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 12:45 am 

rudes wrote:
Same thing just happened to me! I sold a Dynaco amp on ebay to a buyer in Canada. It made it to Kentucky, then vanished. I now see it being sold by a third party using my photos and description on ebay! This seller has thousands of items for sale.

Welcome to seller 8ten1944 ANY auction that says TUBES and gets shipped out of country through FleaBay's shipping system is GONE... and will be later resold by. 8ten1944 it is nothing but a warehouse up in Michigan in a little bitty town where they are keeping for sure the UPS FedEx and Post Office happy. Furthermore THEY have access to YOUR description so most it is copied direct into the "New Auction" with them as seller. They have a deal with FleaBay to get all this stuff and take it off FleaBay's hands since it has Horrors... Radiation in them thar tubes don'tcha know. And other words. I have noticed a considerable number of high end Guitars that they seem to get for some "WORD" reason.

You got paid for the auction and the buyer got reimbursed by FleaBay. So Fleabay is out as they for sure aren't getting the same price from this outfit.

Your Canadian Buyer can now safely purchase the item from 8ten1944 for the same price he was willing to give you and this time he will get the item as they don't use FleaBay's Global Shipping service.

What a Screwing for sure. I don't know how Ebay is making money from this? They ended up with double end of sale commission. But Super Seller 8ten1944 gets cheaper rates than us little guys. Maybe there is some Tax Advantage to FleaBay? NO they never got anything from me as I would never use FleaBay's Global Shipping system.

John k9uwa

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 2:39 pm 

Haha,
Just lost the 4 46 tubes I sold for $200.00. They were confiscated so I am sure they will pop up again...

:(

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 2:52 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
OldRestorer wrote:
Haha,
Just lost the 4 46 tubes I sold for $200.00. They were confiscated so I am sure they will pop up again...

Are you still using the Global Shipping Program?

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 2:56 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
OldRestorer wrote:
Haha,

I have to... I cant make it to the Post Office every time I sell to Canada or overseas so I print and label from home. Global is good for me right now. If someone really wanted something and was nice but could not afford the shipping I have in the past mailed it. With the virus, I'll stay home and let someone else go to the Post Office.

:)

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 3:20 pm 

OldRestorer wrote:
John Bartley wrote:
OldRestorer wrote:
Haha,

I have to... I cant make it to the Post Office every time I sell to Canada or overseas so I print and label from home. Global is good for me right now. If someone really wanted something and was nice but could not afford the shipping I have in the past mailed it. With the virus, I'll stay home and let someone else go to the Post Office.

knowing all that, then why are you selling then if you can't make shipments happen?

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 3:26 pm 

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

knowing all that, then why are you selling then if you can't make shipments happen?

I have to guess that when something disappears under the GSP, Kirk gets paid anyway and eBay refunds the buyer? So .... no loss to Kirk and no worries about negative feedback or returns?

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 7:16 pm 

I wonder if the relatively new "eBay Standard International Shipping" method would handle tubes any differently. I've been using this now vs. USPS 1st Class International and no problems so far.
Tracking is provided and $100 worth of insurance is also included.

Craig R.

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 8:18 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have to guess that when something disappears under the GSP, Kirk gets paid anyway and eBay refunds the buyer? So .... no loss to Kirk and no worries about negative feedback or returns?

Yep, that's how it works. It's happened to me on a couple radios destined for Canada. They both got resold by that guy who specializes in those situations. Both sold for more money than I sold them for, but at least they found a home. Gotta go with the flow . . . :lol:

Dan

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 9:21 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As a Dumb Canadian I have a problem with a seller selling an item to a buyer KNOWING that he will not receive it and not warning the buyer or cancelling the sale.

Ed.

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 9:36 pm 

I likewise have an issue with a buyer bidding on known contraband. :lol:

No offense meant, but the customs folks seem to arbitrarily flag some shipments, while letting identical items pass through. Professional sellers should probably know better, but casual sellers like myself often get gobsmacked. When I list an item for sale, and eBay says it's eligible for the global shipping program, that all the info I need. The onus is on them from that point forward.

Dan

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 9:54 pm 

SparkyDan wrote:
I likewise have an issue with a buyer bidding on known contraband. :lol:

No offense meant, but the customs folks seem to arbitrarily flag some shipments, while letting identical items pass through. Professional sellers should probably know better, but casual sellers like myself often get gobsmacked. When I list an item for sale, and eBay says it's eligible for the global shipping program, that all the info I need. The onus is on them from that point forward.
Dan

I sorta agree with Ed, and then again .... this is NOT customs that is holding these back, refunding the buyer and then keeping the goods? This is eBay doing this and it's a bit of a tossup as what gets forwarded and what gets seized? That's how I understand it anyway.

Please educate me.

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 10:23 pm 

From what I've been able to gather, Pitney Bowes handles the freight forwarding details. They tell eBay that they can't legally ship it, then turn around and sell the stuff to one of their insiders for pennies on the dollar, who then resells it on eBay. EBay refunds the buyer, allows the seller to keep the sale proceeds, and the cycle begins again. If it was a common occurrence, eBay would fine tune their global shipping policies, but it's probably a minor expense to them in the grand scheme of things. After all, eBay still keeps the seller's fees, just as if it was a normal sale.

Dan

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 11:08 pm 

SparkyDan wrote:
From what I've been able to gather, Pitney Bowes handles the freight forwarding details. They tell eBay that they can't legally ship it, then turn around and sell the stuff to one of their insiders for pennies on the dollar, who then resells it on eBay. EBay refunds the buyer, allows the seller to keep the sale proceeds, and the cycle begins again. If it was a common occurrence, eBay would fine tune their global shipping policies, but it's probably a minor expense to them in the grand scheme of things. After all, eBay still keeps the seller's fees, just as if it was a normal sale.

Dan

Ok .....

Then why is it that if a person puts similar items into the USPS mail and sends them out, they go to the buyer with no issues?

How can it be legal that way and not the other?

What does US law say about exporting antique vacuum tubes?

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 1:23 am 

When you mail something via USPS, (or FedEx or UPS for that matter) there's no indication of what's inside - - - only the package dimensions and weight. If there's hazardous/flammable materials inside, you're supposed to disclose the contents, but I suspect few people do (and even fewer know what constitutes hazardous/flammable stuff). When you ship with ebay or paypal, usually it's for a specific item that you sold, which comes complete with an ebay item number and description.

I know it makes no sense. I suspect there are people exploiting the system, but not enough to raise ebay's hackles.

FWIW, you could put a 6 ounce bottle of gasoline in a box, ship it first class mail, and it'll go on an airplane across the country. No one knows what's inside the box, unless for some reason it's flagged. Yes, it would be illegal, but it happens. USPS and international mail are probably the biggest complicit drug smugglers/money launderers in the world. . . . . .

Dan

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 2:33 am 

If you can't change your shipping practice,
then change your ad, "No shipping to Canada".

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 6:45 am 

John Bartley wrote:

Nothing that I know of. I've purchased NOS tubes from several U.S. dealers over time, and never had an issue. I can't imagine that there would be one in shipping out of the country.

This Global Shipping fiasco by eBay is of their own making, and has nothing to do with the real world...Obviously.

I've sent tube radios to Japan and several European countries -NOT using Global shipping- and had NP.

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 12:10 pm 

fifties wrote:
John Bartley wrote:

Nothing that I know of. I've purchased NOS tubes from several U.S. dealers over time, and never had an issue. I can't imagine that there would be one in shipping out of the country.

This Global Shipping fiasco by eBay is of their own making, and has nothing to do with the real world...Obviously.

I've sent tube radios to Japan and several European countries -NOT using Global shipping- and had NP.

Exactly. And this response is pretty much what I suspected the case is. I doubt there are any export restrictions. I doubt vacuum tubes are hazardous materials. I suspect that eBay's shipper has their own, "potential for liability" driven standards. I have yet to hear anything really great about the GSP except for it's convenience.

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 12:48 pm 

John Bartley wrote:

Only point in US Law is Radiation Possibilities from Tubes. YA know those tubes have radiation. That is FleaBay's excuse for what they are doing. I have shipped HUNDREDS of tubes to probably close to a 100 different countries. Never had a problem with insuring the packages. Customs paperwork says they are radio tubes. The only tubes I can think of that might have a problem with the US laws customs etc would be Mercury Vapor Rectifier tubes. Don't remember ever shipping any of those. If I did I probably didn't mention the HORRORS mercury.

Screw FleaBays Global shipping system. Not only do the swipe our stuff but they also charge the buyer two arms and one leg to pay the shipping costs.

John k9uwa

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 132 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next