Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sat 20, 2019 6:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: To Appeal or not to Appeal (an eBay closed case)???
PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 12:31 pm 

This is me on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/usr/rqs007.

After searching all over for this item, I found it in Germany (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=152582820106&view=all&tid=1656130191005). The seller and I agreed on ship costs, etc., and he generated an invoice. All of this was done in German but Google translate came in handy! A nice Christmas present for my wife, I thought, because she'd wanted a narrow spice rack for a long time due to cabinet size constraints in the kitchen.

So, I tried to pay the invoice multiple times over a couple of days but couldn't pay it, and an error message kept popping up. As far as I could determine, it was because the invoice was in a currency not accepted by the seller (GBP vs. Euros). You'd think the seller would know what currency he wanted?

Contacted the seller, but he said there was nothing he could do, and to contact eBay. I told him this was becoming more trouble than it was worth, and could he cancel the sale? He never answered, and the next day I wound up in the emergency room at the hospital due to an accident.

During my hospital stay, eBay and/or the seller opened an unpaid item case, something I'd never experienced before, then closed the case against me several days later, but said they would "forgive" me this time, but don't let it happen again. Wow, how nice of them.

Any thoughts? Did the seller initiate the case, or was it eBay? Should I appeal the case, or not worry about it? I gave up selling on eBay a long time ago because of their prices and Nazi-like policies but continued to purchase items occasionally. Now I'm considering no longer buying through them.

Lord, I really hate eBay....

Thanks,

“Technology is a useful servant but a dangerous master.”
C. Lange

Post subject: Re: To Appeal or not to Appeal (an eBay closed case)???
PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 1:34 pm 

he probably did that to get his listing fees credited back to him.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 2:12 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
he probably did that to get his listing fees credited back to him.

I did some more research; eBay really makes things complicated.

From one article I read, the seller could have done this after my request to cancel the transaction/invoice: "We've agreed not to complete the transaction. With this option, the buyer does not receive an Unpaid Item strike, the seller receives a Final Value Fee credit, and the item is eligible for a relist credit. This is the same as mutual cancellation."

But I guess he was just a jerk. Seems eBay's "sophisticated" tracking system should show that I tried multiple times to pay the invoice.

C. Lange

PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 2:45 pm 

Call Ebay and talk to someone and explain your situation. They will be able to bring up your Ebay messages and determine just what's going on. I've done this before.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 3:08 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
Call Ebay and talk to someone and explain your situation. They will be able to bring up your Ebay messages and determine just what's going on. I've done this before.

I think I will; I've got 30 days I believe, so once I feel a little better, I'll set some time aside.

It's just the principle of the thing. Grrrrr! :x

C. Lange

PostPosted: Dec Mon 25, 2017 4:52 am 

Don't get sore, just recognize the mechanics of the system. Normally, once three days elapse with no payment, eBay automatically starts an unpaid item case. I agree that you should call them and explain the circumstances.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 25, 2017 5:02 am 

Ebay warnings are Complete BS.
No need to do anything unless you want to.
I have filed so many unpaid item cases and ebay says "we cant tell you but we will take action"
Useless...

Kirk

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 4:17 pm 

Good old eBay asked me take a detailed survey of my recent experiences. So I did, and I rated it all as low as possible = a zero (0). I know this will do absolutely no good, but at least I've vented.

The eBay customer service "Help" features have always been absolutely worthless to me. Perhaps for simple questions, they do help. And not being able to contact eBay in any manner other than a phone call and the (for me) long hold times is not at all customer friendly. But what do I know? I was only in quality assurance, including the position of quality director over customer service, for 35+ years.

Case closed by me!

C. Lange

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 10:01 pm 

If you like and use Ebay, just go with the flow of the ups and downs or quit Ebay for good.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 4:35 am 

Well, I just won an appeal as a seller: I got back $375 from a buyer who filed a not-as-described return and then opened a case because he couldn't get the item to work. (I had listed it as untested with no returns.)

eBay initially approved the return, the buyer sent the item back to me, eBay pulled $375 out of my PayPal account and gave it to the buyer, then eBay hit me with a "defect" on my seller account.

But turns out eBay hadn't done their homework: The buyer had sent me an email right after he won the auction saying he really hadn't meant to bid so high on an item that wasn't guaranteed to work. Clear evidence that he knew it might not work. I appealed the case and when I showed that email to the appeal agent on the phone, he overturned the decision right there. I got back my $375, the defect was removed, and I get to keep the item to sell again. I don't know what (if anything) they did to the buyer, but probably nothing since it was an eBay employee's mistake in approving the return.

As my old Classical Mechanics physics professor used to say when the math got too deep, "Sometimes there is justice in the universe and things just work out."

BTW: Both the eBay reps I spoke to in customer service regarding this were excellent: Good English and very knowledgeable about eBay's policies and system. They haven't all been so good over the years, but some are very good.

So I think an appeal is sometimes worth it.

John