Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 10:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Found this on CL this morning
PostPosted: Feb Sun 03, 2019 6:06 pm 

https://providence.craigslist.org/atq/d ... 43945.html

I don't want to start berating people, but I haven't seen a radio this overpriced before. Should I try to send them a polite email based on what the value is, or just not bother with it. The price is clearly not a typo. Oh well, guess I'll get used to seeing it every time I check cl from now on.

-Unknown

Post subject: Re: Found this on CL this morning
PostPosted: Feb Sun 03, 2019 6:46 pm 

Don't waste your time contacting the seller. In their mind they found a reason for the price.
Henry

PostPosted: Feb Sun 03, 2019 7:22 pm 

I think it's a wast of time to get personally involved in the way perfect strangers conduct their sales. You may feel like you want to be a good samaritan and help an old lady cross a street but it's another thing to help prevent some stranger from overpricing their sales items. The lady will most likely thank you but the seller might just cuss you out claiming that your just trying to "lowball" them or something to that nature. My advice, just let it go. Don't let it bother you. It's just not worth it.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 03, 2019 9:50 pm 

Yes, do not bother. Let them figure it out.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 03, 2019 10:02 pm 

There are lots of reasons why people price a radio for what we consider too much. Ignorance, greed, bad info, SWAG, hope ("I saw one like it on line for "$2000). Eventually the lack of interest may get them to lower the price. Don't waste your time.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 03, 2019 11:53 pm 

Here is what you could do. This has worked well for me if I have seen a nice set, but it was overpriced. I e-mail them and KINDLY say "If you don't get any offers for the price you are asking, I would like to offer you "X" number of dollars for it, (provided your amount is fair, and not ridiculously under priced). Do NOT even mention their asking price, and politely say "Thank-you for your time". I have had a lot of people return e-mails within a week or 2 and say they will take me up on my offer if it still stands.
hope this helps...
Tony

PostPosted: Feb Mon 04, 2019 1:27 am 

Sometimes a buyer with money comes along and gets it for a gift, thinking it's expensive, it must be nice.
Pawn Shops play the same game, used tools nearly the cost of a new one, people do buy them, the shop has $20 in it,
they are willing to wait for the right buyer to wander in.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 04, 2019 1:41 pm 

I've worked on printers in Pawn Shops and I couldn't believe there prices also. A few dollars more and you can get a new one at the big box stores. They do a brisk business on the jewelry though. Mostly migrant workers.

Freeman

PostPosted: Feb Mon 04, 2019 2:06 pm 

Tony's advice is good, however in this instance, the value versus the asking is so vastly different that I doubt you would get any sort of positive reaction! Best wait for them to lower their price alot before you hit them with an offer that is more in line with the actual value. They are not gonna move it unless they divide the price by ten. And the statement "plug it in and it plays!" most likely means that it will not last too long if some ignorant person actually buys it and plays it without an electronic overhaul.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 05, 2019 5:02 am 

Agree, any attempt at a reasonable offer I'm guessing would be an insult until they figure out on their own they are way out of the ballpark.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 11:15 pm 

Attachment:
op.jpg
op.jpg [ 135.43 KiB | Viewed 444 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 11:43 pm 

I would save the link, and revisit it in 6 weeks.

If the set is still available, then ask if they are open to a fair market offer.

If they respond, make the offer and provide two eBay closed sales of similar radios to support it. That way it doesn't have the appearance of a low ball offer, but rather true market value.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 5:36 am 

Just laugh and move on. They may not react rationally to your criticism if they have an irrational price to begin with. You need to have a good basis to appraise things and it starts with comp values. That may be a nobody wants 20 dollar console.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 4:30 pm 

Okay. I honestly think I was just venting when I made this thread, as I saw the crazy price of the radio. Some people on CL near me sometimes list stuff for $500, $600, $700, or maybe $800, but I've never seen a $20-$50 priced at $2000 nearby me. I guess I'll just ignore the ad. It's not worth the trouble.

-Unknown

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 8:14 pm 

He can put a 100,000 dollar price on it if he wants to. That still doesn't mean it won't sell for even 10 bucks. Some people are just nutty that way and think their stuff is worth a million bucks without researching anything. It is up to you to as the buyer to know the market.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 9:50 pm 

radios2100 wrote:
Agree, any attempt at a reasonable offer I'm guessing would be an insult until they figure out on their own they are way out of the ballpark.

Not my experience. I have often sent gentle notes to such sellers both on CL and Ebay, and more often than not, found them to be elderly folks who thanked me for the info. Sometimes, they thought they were putting $100.00 on a listing and ended up putting $100,000 or some such thing. Remember, seniors have bad eyes.
In some cases, I was offered the item for FREE... they just wanted to find a good home for it. I always say, "go for it", especially if its something you want or know someone who does. I have also recommended local seller bring such items to our shows, where we also do "Roadshow" type appraisals.
Mark Oppat