Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 11:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: David Riddle Company
PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 12:19 am 

Has anyone here had any dealings with the David Riddle Company? I think he is based in CA.

I have seen his listings on eBay for years, and to be frank about it, his claims about his "products" seem exaggerated, to say the least. He seems to sell mostly to the audio crowd, and his pricing is as inflated as his claims about equipment performance.

For instance, right now he has a General Radio 1216 for sale that he claims can power an amplifier that uses a KT88 tube. The 1216 is an IF amplifier and its power supply can only deliver 30ma at 400 volts; the KT88 in class 1 will need 175ma. Grossly inadequate for amplifier design.

His listings also have an abundance of catch words that really have nothing to do with the product he is selling. Right now he is selling a variac with meter in a refinished oak case and the title has Marantz 10, 9 and 8B. At the moment I forget the price but it was around $350. I was under the impression that eBay frowns on this type of advertising.

He has also posted numerous listings of the same item with only slight changes in wording. eBay only allows this if you have multiple stores.

So, has anyone here bought from this guy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CUSTOM-WOO ... rk:41:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400-200-VOLT-D ... rk:37:pf:0

Post subject: Re: David Riddle Company
PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 2:09 am 

Keyword Spamming - he never mentions powering up a KT88:

YOUR PURCHASE IS FOR AN AMERICAN MADE, TESTED AND GUARANTEED, GENERAL RADIO BRAND MODEL,1216-A, I-F AMPLIFIER AND 200-VDC, 400VDC AND 6.3VAC REGULATED TUBE POWER SUPPLY WORKING AND IN EXCELLENT CONDITION (SEE ALL OF THE PHOTOS FOR DETAILS, NOTE: UNIT MAY DIFFER SLIGHTLY FROM PHOTOS).\

IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS IS A TOP QUALITY, AMERICAN MADE PRODUCT, NOT A POORLY MADE COPY FROM CHINA! WE SELL THE HIGHEST QUALITY DC POWER SUPPLIES FROM U.S. COMPANIES THAT ARE BUILT TO LAST A LIFETIME! (PLEASE CALL OR VISIT OUR EBAY STORE TO SEE OUR OTHER POWER SUPPLIES AND MANY OTHER TEST AND MEASUREMENT PRODUCTS!)

THIS I-F AMPLIFIER WAS ORIGINALLY DESIGNED AS PART OF AN RF TEST SYSTEM AND WAS INCREADABLY WELL BUILT AND ENGINEERED. THE UNIT COULD EASILY BE .UTILIZED IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF A UNIQUE LOOKING AUDIO PREAMP OR POWERAMP!

THIS POWER SUPPLY IS ALSO PERFECT FOR USE IN DESIGNING AND REPAIRING TUBE AUDIO AND OTHER ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT. IT PROVIDES 400 VOLTS DC , UP TO 30MA, 200-VDC 20MA (REGULATED) AND A 6.3VAC OUTPUT UP TO 1 AMP (FILAMENT SUPPLY).

THE ANALOG METERS COULD BE CONFIGURED FOR USE AS A VOLT METER, AND THE OUTPUT CONNECTIONS ARE STANDARD "BANANA" TYPE 5 WAY BINDING POSTS.

THIS UNIT HAS BEEN COMPLETELY TESTED IN OUR FULLY EQUIPPED LAB AND IS GUARANTEED TO BE WORKING AND MEETING ORIGINAL FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS.

I AM SELLING THIS ITEM FULLY GUARANTEED FOR THE MINIMUM BID OF $79.00.

GENERAL RADIO 1216A I-F AMPLIFIER / POWER SUPPLY B15-0844-47-W

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 6:28 am 

Brian, he mentions the KT-88 and 300B in the heading of the listing. VERY deceptive advertising. If you look at many of his listings he uses model numbers and parts that are sought-after and expensive but still have nothing to do with what he sells.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 2:44 pm 

Johnnysan wrote:
Brian, he mentions the KT-88 and 300B in the heading of the listing. VERY deceptive advertising. If you look at many of his listings he uses model numbers and parts that are sought-after and expensive but still have nothing to do with what he sells.

Again, it's keyword spamming - something eBay frowns upon, but hardly ever enforces. Many sellers do it, in hopes of catching a larger crowd. It's like the guy selling an Eico tube tester that drops "Hickok" in the title - 'taint a Hickok, but those searching for Hickok will see his listing. It happens way too often...

But no mention of driving a KT88 or 300B in any of his listings that I looked at.

Yes, deceptive, and yes, against the rules.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 10:56 pm 

I think I remember seeing their Ebay auctions for at least the past 2 decades or more. The ones I've usually read were their various "variacs" (various brands, including Superior-Powerstat, GR-Variac, Staco, etc.) where the stated conditions & warranties sound (at least, before one starts really reading more carefully) fantastic. But, imo, one can buy equally good/used variacs, sets of military-spec test leads, and other items for about 1/4 to no more than 1/2 DR's amount, even some days on the ARF Classifieds. And in case an ARF member doesn't see what they're shopping for, we can post a WTB, which most often get results.

I've never heard of DR Co. actually doing anything wrong; except maybe the "keyword" thing discussed above.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 11:23 pm 

One thing he does is list 1 item but several times, maybe a dozen times, with only a change in wording. For instance, he sells a microphone to BNC adapter that he listed with heading words like Heathkit, EICO, PACO, vintage test equipment, etc. When you do a search his item comes up over and over. This is against eBay's rules.

He also sells metered variacs that he puts together then claims they are all American made components when obviously some have Chinese made digital meters.

My objection is his deceptive wording and descriptions.

Visit his store and scroll through his items; he will have several of the same items with the same prices and pictures, but each listing will have different wording; not following eBay's rules.

Obviously he has quite an operation and gets most of his stuff at auctions. One of his favorite phrases is 'better than new'. I wonder how he manages that feat.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 5:36 am 

Johnnysan wrote:
One thing he does is list 1 item but several times, maybe a dozen times, with only a change in wording. For instance, he sells a microphone to BNC adapter that he listed with heading words like Heathkit, EICO, PACO, vintage test equipment, etc. When you do a search his item comes up over and over. This is against eBay's rules.

He also sells metered variacs that he puts together then claims they are all American made components when obviously some have Chinese made digital meters.

My objection is his deceptive wording and descriptions.

Visit his store and scroll through his items; he will have several of the same items with the same prices and pictures, but each listing will have different wording; not following eBay's rules.

Obviously he has quite an operation and gets most of his stuff at auctions. One of his favorite phrases is 'better than new'. I wonder how he manages that feat.

Ding! (dime dropping....) Report it. If eBay acts on it, good, if not blame eBay for allowing it to continue.

I think we know what will happen. :wink: :evil:

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 2:09 pm 

I got a laugh at that variac listing. For $350, you can get a PR57 and have isolation also. Then he tries to sell it as useful for a lamp dimmer... :lol: I doubt he will sell one.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 11:08 pm 

Just for reference, since it's been mentioned: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/list ... cy?id=4243

But I'm not sure why people keyword spam anymore, regardless of the rules, as it's supposed to actually work against them with Cassini, no?

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/make-ebay ... ou-1140402

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 5:14 pm 

Selling home built electrical devices with no U.L. certification is a sure fire (pun intended) lawsuit magnet . . .

Dan