Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sat 23, 2019 1:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My Evil pay gripe
PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 2:45 am 

Ok folks, here's one I need to get off my chest. Quite awhile back, I bought a rare (color wise) Zenith Royal 500B. The ad stated 3-4 times how well it worked, with words like "no noise between tuning stations ". It did say there was "some noise in the volume pot. " So I bought it, eagerly awaiting its arrival. When I got it ,it "wasn't as described " to say the least. It was dirty, had tape residue on the back cover. When I put batteries in and powered it on I couldn't believe it. The volume pot was so badly worn,it was totally unusable, the worst I've ever seen /heard. The tuner wouldn't physically tune below about 600 KHZ. Then I realized why. The tuning capacitor plates were bent! I sent it back, and got a refund. I wanted to leave a negative review, but since my money was refunded,they wouldn't allow it. I had to settle for neutral. Then the seller gets angry with me, saying how could I leave a neutral review after all that great service he gave me. What? Since when is great service mean being totally lied to?
I will say that most of my transactions on their site are quite positive, and many to most sellers are honest. I'm grateful for that. Ever notice though, that it's very often the rarest radios are often in the worst shape? :-)

Post subject: Re: My Evil pay gripe
PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 4:41 am 

In my opinion, once you receive a full refund or the seller makes a bad situation right, then there is no room for negative or neutral feedback. From a legal perspective, you are 'made whole.' You neither gain nor lose; for instance, when your Ford Pinto is run over by a garbage truck the city does not owe you a Cadillac Escalade (no matter how much you want one).

Sure the seller could have been more precise in his description. Did he lie? Maybe. Exaggerate? Maybe. But, you did get your money back.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 6:45 am 

Yes I understand what you're saying, but it's still wasted time going to the post office for something I wouldn't have bought in the first place if he had been up front. He also changed his wording when it was put on sale again. He specifically stated how well it worked in the original ad,(a few times)which means there was no way he didn't know it's condition. So yes,it was a lie.
But all is well. Must have been from his "personal collection. "
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 5:13 pm 

Zenith Royal wrote:
Yes I understand what you're saying, but it's still wasted time going to the post office for something I wouldn't have bought in the first place if he had been up front. He also changed his wording when it was put on sale again. He specifically stated how well it worked in the original ad,(a few times)which means there was no way he didn't know it's condition. So yes,it was a lie.
But all is well. Must have been from his "personal collection. "
:mrgreen:

This is the price you pay dealing through the Mail System, take the lumps and move on with life.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 5:29 pm 

ZR, Yes, I agree with you: How do you compensate for the inconvenience, stress and loss of time caused by the seller's inaccuracy?

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 9:20 pm 

Having to refund all your money and eat shipping charges both ways seems like punishment enough. He'll probably be motivated to be more honest in future auctions.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 10:09 pm 

"In my opinion, once you receive a full refund or the seller makes a bad situation right, then there is no room for negative or neutral feedback."

So no way to warn other people of a potential scammer?

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 10:34 pm 

n3uvt wrote:
"In my opinion, once you receive a full refund or the seller makes a bad situation right, then there is no room for negative or neutral feedback."

So no way to warn other people of a potential scammer?

"Potential scammer." Isn't that kind of like saying that all men are potential rapists?

Just remember, we are hearing only one side of the story here from the original poster. Are we getting ALL the details? I think not. We do know the buyer got his money back and maybe only lost some time and effort returning the item. NOT (IMO) grounds for raking the seller over the coals.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 10:43 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
I don't know why you're po'd at eBay. They just provide the website. And they were able to get your money back. You were the guy who bought something long distance and paid in advance from someone you don't know ....

Maybe it's the seller you should be po'd at, and be thanking eBay for looking after you ??