Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 5:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Being Passively Harassed by Past Ebay Seller
PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 3:10 am 

I have been an active eBayer since 1999, and in that time have only had one occasions (out of many hundred) to leave negative feedback. On this occasion, about two years ago, the seller shipped a fairly delicate electronic piece of equipment (an HP 5383A Frequency Counter, to be specific) inside a bare metal cookie tin without any padding to protect the item. I do not exaggerate in this regard—simply a taped up cookie tin with a mailing label stuck to it. I have pictures. The item arrives scratched and scuffed and with a busted plastic foot. I contacted the seller promptly upon receipt of the cookie tinned item and described the damage and my dismay in the packing. The seller responded by asking "what would you like me to do about it?" to which I answered that I reckoned that the shipping damage took $20-30 off of its value, and that I would be happy if he wanted to kick back some $ to make things right. At this point the seller accused me of attempting to use extortion for my good feedback. I tried to assure him this was not the case, and offered to simply return the item for my money back. This he refused, saying the sale was listed "AS IS, NO RETURNS" (his caps). Long story short, I wound up leaving my first negative feedback in (then) 18 years of doing eBay. He indicated to me that "this was extortion and it would not stand" and took it up with eBay. EBay, in whatever form of justice they impose, sided with me (the buyer). I figured that was then end of the story. Well...

Since then, I have had several (5 now in the last 12 months) of my posted auction items bid on and won by eBay accounts with 0 feedback profile and that were created within 48 hours of the auction's end date; these were never paid for, leaving me to go through the hassle of reporting the unpaid item, waiting; sending invoice, waiting; contacting the buyer who would not respond, waiting; inevitably having the sale cancelled and having to re-list the item.

So I ask, what's a seller to do when they suspect that a disgruntled past customer is harassing them with newly minted fake accounts? Is this a common practice? I still have all the original seller's personal information including their name and address, and I suspect they have mine, since they sent the tragically packaged parcel. This last fact frankly scares me a bit.

Is there recourse for such a seemingly unprovable but suspiciously coincidental series of auction sabotage's, official or unofficial? For instance, is there a way to change my eBay identity such that a past seller cannot keep bombing my auctions? Should I just plan to start a whole new eBay account and abandon the old one? Help me out with this one.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my paranoiac rant. I apologize if this is just a pile of dirty laundry I'm dumping.

- Scott

Post subject: Re: Being Passively Harassed by Past Ebay Seller
PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 3:43 am 

Have you reported all of this to eBay? They can see who is creating these bogus accounts.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 3:49 am 

When you take it up with ebay, ask them to change your account name for safety reasons. I doubt they would argue with you on that.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 4:29 am 

There are several you things you can do.

When posting an item as a BIN, you can require immediate payment, with the item remaining for sale until that is accomplished. If they never pay, then their offer is transparent.

eBay used to allow a seller to restrict bidding from buyers with less than a certain amount of F/B; I'm not sure that that option is still available.

Lastly, nothing says that you can't have a second account, which you can use for selling. The only problem is that it will have to tally 25 trades before you can have immediate access to the entire sale amount. I wouldn't change the primary account though.

You might call eBay, and ask them to check the email address and telephone number of the phony accounts, to see if they are all the same.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 4:37 am 

Quote:
eBay used to allow a seller to restrict bidding from buyers with less than a certain amount of F/B; I'm not sure that that option is still available.

You still can, it's under account - site preferences - buyer requirements. The drop down menu only offers -1, -2, or -3 or lower though.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 5:06 am 

fifties wrote:
When posting an item as a BIN, you can require immediate payment, with the item remaining for sale until that is accomplished. If they never pay, then their offer is transparent.

This actually sounds like a very reasonable approach to my situation at least for the foreseeable future, until the hostile party dies of acute liver failure from whatever wretched substance habit he's hooked in to. (Sorry, I resort to ad hominem only as a humorous stress relief for myself. Though on the other hand... ;)

I have, as of this evening, opened a new eBay account and will start using it for all my nickel and dime purchases until it matures a bit of feedback. Perhaps I'll buy a whole string of phony 5¢ transistors from Shenzhen. The Chinese, say what you will, are very good at leaving feedback—not always the case with domestic eBayers, in my experience. Ah, but I wander off topic...

Thanks for all the reassuring and helpful responses.

- Scott

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 5:23 am 

Your story is an example of why I always advise people to use different buying, selling and community forum accounts, so what happens to one won't affect the others.

Unfortunately, if a malicious user eventually discovers your selling account and associates it with the previously targeted account, they can still target your selling account, so it's not a perfect defense.

This is pretty much all eBay provides as solutions: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/sell ... cy?id=4375

If the person breaks the law by making terroristic threats, you can take it up a notch and get LEO's and the courts involved.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 6:51 am 

Looks like you're not the only one having this problem though.

For instance, look at this listing from radios10467: "relisted due to non paying buyer in new jersey . many other ebay sellers are saying they also are having more nonpaying buyers . so here is another chance to get this rare radio"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1930s- ... 2589774558

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 7:27 am 

Ebay could if they really wanted to compare the IP addresses between the known seller and these fake sellers

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 7:40 am 

I now require immediate payment with Buy it Now (which is most of my listings).

Are you sure it's the same seller? Is this person in the same city?

I had problems in the past, and would keep track of where buyers were located; I would not sell similar items to people within 200 miles of where a blocked bidder was located. This is simply because a blocked bidder can just use someone else's account or have a friend do the buying. Fortunately, I only had to do this one time.

You should count yourself lucky; one bad experience in 20 years has got to be some sort of record. I have blocked dozens of people for many different reasons.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 1:19 pm 

palegreenthumb wrote:

For instance, look at this listing from radios10467: "relisted due to non paying buyer in new jersey . many other ebay sellers are saying they also are having more nonpaying buyers . so here is another chance to get this rare radio"

LOL!

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 3:02 pm 

Indeed my last NPB was located in New Jersey. Most of the others were from randomly scattered geographies: Boston, New Mexico, Utah...

It is strange to hear this seller's last NPB was from NJ, though. The mystery deepens.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 3:35 pm 

That other guy's NPB was very likely a shill bid he got stuck with. Either they or their buddy will bid up their prices with secondary accounts and if they play it wrong and win the last bid, then they simply state they had a NPB and relist it. Doesn't cost them anything to do this as they cancel the purchase and don't pay any fees.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 4:06 pm 

bullseyeguyz wrote:
palegreenthumb wrote:

LOL!

Definitely NOT a return with this guy. It is a case of the Shill Won the previous auction. So wait a while and relist it with some line of bull about non payer bidder in your description. I am surprised that he even bothers saying that part.

As to your issue I would set the auctions for BIN's as you have already done to instant pay upon winning/buying and perhaps also set them for no Zero Feedback bidders and then in your description you could put something in to Zero feedbackers that they have to notify you prior to bidding and you may accept them.

Me a member of Ebay since 1998 and still just running one single account for buy sell or whatever else I do with FleaBay. Had one interesting deal a couple years ago. Buyer won a tube that was around $100 or so. Then crabbed to me about spending $7.50 or whatever it was Priority Mail cost. I thought that a bit strange so looked at his previous feedback and the ship to address. Ship to address was one of those West Coast forwarding deals and the buyer was in S Korea. When I looked at Feedback he had given over 50% of it was neutrals and negatives. I decided I didn't want to deal with this guy and before I could answer his request to lower the shipping cost he paid. I refunded his money and cancelled the sale. And yes can do that. He then gave me negative feedback to which I get a response. My response was of course to check his feedback he had given out as being well over 50% negatives and Neutrals with nasty comments. Anyone who bothered to look at my one negative out of 1200+ feedbacks would read my response and understand how and why it was there so if never effected me.

John k9uwa

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 5:36 pm 

k9uwa wrote:
...I decided I didn't want to deal with this guy and before I could answer his request to lower the shipping cost he paid. I refunded his money and cancelled the sale. And yes can do that...

Good for you! Crooks, cowards and cheats are even 12k miles away. Risking negative feedback is worth it as it provides a forum to expose the dark side of human nature...

I have never been stalked by a buyer but I have had a minor issue with a seller. Pair of DV-3 tubes, hard to get and pricey, not really a robust tube as well. (crap, really) none the less. I won two at the y2k price of $70 or so with shipping. One arrived open and the other O.K. Both advertised as tested working. Notified seller of the problem politely asked for a remedy. I got a scathing insult saying I did not know what I was doing and "blew them out, go away". I didn't I filled The RED flag was up, filed a "Not as advertised" report. Ebay replied they wanted another "outside authority" to confirm the tube was bad. So I engaged a friend licensed electrician, he signed the report with his license. Ebay accepted, I got half my money back for the dud, some $17.00. I could have cheated and said both were open, but since I had already told the seller the one tube was open... Oh, ebay asked me not to do any further communication with the seller at the time of filing the report...

In retrospect, the tubes had many hours on them, the dark haze on the glass indicated the tungsten evaporation. The parcel was sent via USPS Priority, which means by air and in an unheated cargo hold... I think the filament contracted enough to shrink and break at the etched out point. The DV-3 construction does not allow for filament contraction.

I won't ship a rare and $$$ tubes by air, surface only...

Oh, I did lookup the sellers feedback, after the fact, full of caustic comments...

Chas

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 8:19 pm 

Chas wrote:
I won't ship a rare and $$$ tubes by air, surface only...

Off topic, but shipping by ground around here lately would be just as cold if not colder. I've had packages arrive lately that are so cold below freezing that they are building up condensation all over them the moment I bring them inside.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 9:12 pm 

There are various seller tools that can help avoid dealing with problem buyers, or help decide whose bid to cancel before it's too late.

Here's one of many bad buyer blacklists with search: https://myip.ms/browse/ebay_blacklist/B ... ve_DB.html

A popular one to check FB behavior was toolhaus.org, but apparently it no longer works.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 9:19 pm 

Thanks Vin, that's nice to have. And I'm not on the list. :)

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 9:50 pm 

You can block buyers who: Have a Feedback score lower than the number you specify.

Selecting buyer requirements...
https://ebay.com.sg/pages/help/sell/buy ... ments.html

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 11:41 pm 

Instrument Fixer wrote:
Ebay could if they really wanted to compare the IP addresses between the known seller and these fake sellers

With the quantity of trades every day, that's not really practical, and they do offer buyer protection, as does PayPal.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next