Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Jul Thu 18, 2019 11:02 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 2:44 am 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
A few I have learned...

"Untested" - tested and doesn't work
"Works" - powers up with no reception on any band
"Rare" - like an Edsel
"I don't know anything about radios" - don't blame me for you buying this junk
"Needs a good cleaning" - has cockroaches, bedbugs, black widows and rodents living in it
Cosmetic damage - was carried in a war zone.
Anyone have others?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 3:24 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Sun 13, 2012 8:12 pm
Posts: 12143
Location: Central PA 16801
"works"--light comes on, nothing else.

"restored" -- a new cord was installed, that's it.

"professionally restored"--hack job by some weekend kitchen table technician

"radio plays"--some kind of static comes out of the speaker.

"buying as is, untested, I was told NEVER to plug it in"--I plugged it in and smoke rolled out of the back of the set, stunk up the house, and I had to evacuate for the afternoon.

"bid accordingly, I don't know what it is worth"--I was a drive by one thread poster on ARF to ask a "what's it worth" question and everyone told me it was worth $2 including shipping.

steve

steve

_________________
You have enemies ? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 5:46 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Sun 05, 2012 5:12 pm
Posts: 861
Location: North Syracuse NY 13212
"Gone through"
Everything I bought that was "gone through" did not work correctly.
If I ever see that again, I'll try to get the price down to scrap value or just walk away.

Bob

_________________
Life is too short to be serious all the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 7:13 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Sat 05, 2007 9:16 am
Posts: 601
Location: San Diego, CA
"98% complete"=The remaining 2% hasn't been seen this side of Tierra del Fuego since 1927.
"Kit form"=Basket case.
Rick


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 8:26 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 6398
Location: Black Hills, SD 57745
"Contact us before leaving a Neg." This is where sellers finally own up to what they actually peddled and try to duck the rap post-sale.
-Ed

_________________
I'd gladly pay you next Tuesday for a radio today!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 11:58 am 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
Dutch Rabbit wrote:
"works"--light comes on, nothing else.

"restored" -- a new cord was installed, that's it.

"professionally restored"--hack job by some weekend kitchen table technician

"radio plays"--some kind of static comes out of the speaker.

"buying as is, untested, I was told NEVER to plug it in"--I plugged it in and smoke rolled out of the back of the set, stunk up the house, and I had to evacuate for the afternoon.

"bid accordingly, I don't know what it is worth"--I was a drive by one thread poster on ARF to ask a "what's it worth" question and everyone told me it was worth $2 including shipping.

steve

steve

I see you're a bidding veteran! :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 11:58 am 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
Elvirafan wrote:
"Gone through"
Everything I bought that was "gone through" did not work correctly.
If I ever see that again, I'll try to get the price down to scrap value or just walk away.

Bob

LOL!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 2:07 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr Wed 24, 2013 10:08 pm
Posts: 1212
Location: Highland, MI
"I don't know if it works or not"

They know. They tried it and it doesn't work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 2:12 pm 
Member

Joined: Feb Thu 28, 2019 7:48 pm
Posts: 250
Location: Lawrenceville, Illinois 62439
All good ones. AND, all true!
Dan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 3:33 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 12464
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
"In excellent shape for it's age" or "has the wear you would expect for an 80 year old radio" = "I'm getting top retail for this set and I don't want an argument about it!" :)


Last edited by decojoe67 on May Thu 30, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 3:34 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov Mon 06, 2017 7:45 pm
Posts: 491
Location: Sherwood, Oregon
Power cord cut off: Sparks and or smoke happened, so THEN we cut it off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 5:11 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 12464
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Also, of course, "art-deco" = this plain-Jane tabletop looks like a work of art next to my iPhone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 8:05 pm 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
gridleakrick wrote:
"98% complete"=The remaining 2% hasn't been seen this side of Tierra del Fuego since 1927.
"Kit form"=Basket case.
Rick

We really should write a book on this!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 8:07 pm 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
Kestas wrote:
"I don't know if it works or not"

They know. They tried it and it doesn't work.

"There MIGHT be a way to make it work!"

LOL


Last edited by Dalton on May Thu 30, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 8:07 pm 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
Yarehobbiesso$ wrote:
All good ones. AND, all true!
Dan

Pure classics


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 8:08 pm 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
decojoe67 wrote:
"In excellent shape for it's age" or "has the wear you would expect for an 80 year old radio" = "I'm getting top retail for this set and I don't want an argument about it!" :)

I have seen this one!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 8:09 pm 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
mgrant wrote:
Power cord cut off: Sparks and or smoke happened, so THEN we cut it off.

translation - "fried"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 8:11 pm 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
decojoe67 wrote:
Also, of course, "art-deco" = this plain-Jane tabletop looks like a work of art next to my iPhone.

Any vintage radio looks like a Rembrandt next to an iphone!

:mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 8:15 pm 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
Ed in SoDak wrote:
"Contact us before leaving a Neg." This is where sellers finally own up to what they actually peddled and try to duck the rap post-sale.
-Ed

translation - "will refund your money if you realize you were ripped off"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glossary of Online Auction Terms for Radio Hunters
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 8:28 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 32006
Location: SoCal, 91387
"Untested as I don't have a battery for it"...(For a Transistor radio) :roll:

_________________
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\He Who Dies With The Most Radios Wins//////////////////


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 100 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Indiana Radios and 6 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  




























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB